Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      551 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveandKirsty View Post
      We came very close to being on the show for what would have been the 2013 series.

It is what it is, it is daytime TV and is an enjoyable little look at Australia for those in the UK sat at home on a winter's day/evening. Some of the reactions are over the top, they are moving to Australia, not Mars but even so, the reactions are real. In fairness there does seem to have been a reasonably large percentage of participants that have ultimately made the move to either Australia or New Zealand so it isn't all bad.

It does make us laugh with some though who wouldn't have the funds to move from one side of the country to another (if living in the north of England for example) yet are looking to move to the other side of the world.

One thing we have noted from this series so far is how house prices have clearly dropped in WA.

Wanted Down Under is a more enjoyable watch than Channel 5's new offering "New Life in Oz". It follows those who have already made the decision and are making the move. The one last week with the couple who moved from Northamptonshire to Adelaide was not so bad, it did show their genuine initial struggles to find work having made the brave decision to make the move without jobs or even an offer of one. It all sorted itself out though and the show ended on a happy note, or at least we thought, until the postscript at the end where it showed that his Nan who featured in the programme and had brought him up and given her blessing for them to go had ultimately passed away. As for the family from Yorkshire in yesterday's episode, who sold their gym in England and set up one on the Gold Coast, none of them came across on TV very well at all. Next week's episode was due to be the first, until the Daily Mail got hold of it - features a couple from Brighton who move to Brighton in Melbourne, having never even been to Australia before. He cant get a job, she spends all their savings.... You get the drift.

Keeps us interested I guess. At least until we head off down under on the 31st anyway
      How funny; we're from Northamptonshire and looking at Adelaide. Will have to watch that one later!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by rosiew View Post
      And as silly as ever.....
      god she's annoying. Can't even pronounce the suburbs right. We fast forward and just enjoy the scenery and houses. The family tears but isn't relevant as all my family is in Perth.
      Last edited by newjez; 11-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Title
      Dirty ROTTEN Scoundrel
      Liked
      2996 times
      Rep
      M
      Quote Originally Posted by Cazwilkins View Post
      I'm glad we didn't agree to sign up to that show. We were approached but it didn't fit in with our timeline of getting to Australia. Can't say I've watched any of the series.
      I had never watched it until recently ...early mornings there is a 30 min slot before I drive my daughter to school.
      I actually started watching it by accident .

Most of the families plum for oz straight off ....the only spanner in the works is when they weigh up the costs between oz and u.k

Title
      Air & Sea
      Liked
      727 times
      Rep
      It's good entertaining TV, we certainly enjoyed watching loads of episodes before we moved.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      I've always enjoyed it, there was one particular episode a year or two back that was (from what I recall) a northern Dr, that actually traced some of his roots to a statue in Perth and went back to honour it, just made me think what a gent he clearly was not just for the work that he did but in life too, he's someone that I would enjoy meeting and it'd be a honour to buy a pint or two for people like that
      The reactions of families makes me smile though, I have to skip past it now because its a well-known personal sacrifice that is different for everyone and I don't really see the point of airing that part

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I watched the same episode, where he'd go over, have less responsibility and basically get double what he was on in England. Which is why me and my now wife went on the programme! It was aired on 4th January and we went to Perth. We are still wanting to get to Australia at some point but we have just paid for our wedding so have to save up some money again. Did anybody on here watch our episode? Mathew and Phillipa :)

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by matre123 View Post
      I watched the same episode, where he'd go over, have less responsibility and basically get double what he was on in England. Which is why me and my now wife went on the programme! It was aired on 4th January and we went to Perth. We are still wanting to get to Australia at some point but we have just paid for our wedding so have to save up some money again. Did anybody on here watch our episode? Mathew and Phillipa :)
      Yes, watched them all, but enjoyed yours particularly Mathew (big respect for the sacrifices you have made in life, I certainly wouldn't want to argue against you!)

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      On a more trivial note...does anyone know where Nicki Chapman films her part of the series? Looks amazing

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by KangaKit View Post
      On a more trivial note...does anyone know where Nicki Chapman films her part of the series? Looks amazing
      GOOD QUESTION: we say that to each other at the start of EVERY programme!!! I've always assumed its NZ, would be good to know, need to find out ASAP now...

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by downunder2016 View Post
      GOOD QUESTION: we say that to each other at the start of EVERY programme!!! I've always assumed its NZ, would be good to know, need to find out ASAP now...
      As in, a PART of NZ, not the whole place!!!

•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast