261 times
      Rep

Wanted down under is back on!

And as silly as ever.....

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      I'm glad we didn't agree to sign up to that show. We were approached but it didn't fit in with our timeline of getting to Australia. Can't say I've watched any of the series.
      IELTS 09/05/15 reading 9.0 writing 9.0 listening 9.0 speaking 8.5
      +ve skills assessment 30/07/15 EOI 10/08/15 invite 11/08/15 Application sent 17/08/15 Application accepted 05/11/15 visa lodged 16/11/15 police checks submitted 01/12/15 case officer allocated 02/12/15 medicals 04/12/15 form 80s uploaded 14/12/15 Australian police check uploaded 12/01/16 Visa granted 18/01/16

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep
      Just a reminder when discussing the show's participants that they may very well be members of the forum. Cal (moderator) was the very first family and has even done a re-visited show.
      I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      551 times
      Rep
      I quite watching it. Just to see scenery of Australia, the different houses etc

Title
      Liked
      7 times
      Rep
      I've always watched it and the new one 'new life in oz'. Can I ask out of curiosity why people don't like it? Is it not realistic?

Title
      Moving from Ireland to Melbourne (in late 2017)
      Liked
      101 times
      Rep
      The show can be entertaining, sometimes.

B
      Visa 190 'Skilled Nomination' | Teacher | AITSL skills assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL skills assessment result 10 06 '16 | Recce to Mellie August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | 'State Nomination' application lodged 31 08 '16 | 'State Teaching Registration' application approved 23 12 '16 | We await further instruction...

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      261 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lparker15 View Post
      I've always watched it and the new one 'new life in oz'. Can I ask out of curiosity why people don't like it? Is it not realistic?
      They often have people on who would struggle to get a permanent visa, or have a dependent who would. To me it is a bit cruel to give them false hope.

It is a great opportunity for many people who would not otherwise get a chance to afford a reccie visit.

Unfortunately the participants sometimes seem to be clutching at false hope when all of the employment and financial evidence seems to be telling them to stay put.

You also see a lot of relationships where one person is very invested in the move and the other is quite resistant to the idea. It seems there is a lot of heartache behind the scenes for our entertainment.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      3471 times
      Rep
      I like it just for the scenery. Perth was on it the other day so it was nice for me to see it again. The couple in that episode were really nice. I still haven't watched cake episode even though I moaned years ago I wanted the link!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      I've revised my opinion. I remember being particularly scathing about the weeping relatives on the messages bit of the show, which I'm a bit ashamed of now, because even though they were going to see the travelers very soon after making the film, for many it was their first realization of how much they would miss that person. I can never resist watching it though ... I like to see the mansions people can buy in some areas for the cost of a one bed flat in Sydney.
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      Liked
      75 times
      Rep
      We came very close to being on the show for what would have been the 2013 series.

It is what it is, it is daytime TV and is an enjoyable little look at Australia for those in the UK sat at home on a winter's day/evening. Some of the reactions are over the top, they are moving to Australia, not Mars but even so, the reactions are real. In fairness there does seem to have been a reasonably large percentage of participants that have ultimately made the move to either Australia or New Zealand so it isn't all bad.

It does make us laugh with some though who wouldn't have the funds to move from one side of the country to another (if living in the north of England for example) yet are looking to move to the other side of the world.

One thing we have noted from this series so far is how house prices have clearly dropped in WA.

Wanted Down Under is a more enjoyable watch than Channel 5's new offering "New Life in Oz". It follows those who have already made the decision and are making the move. The one last week with the couple who moved from Northamptonshire to Adelaide was not so bad, it did show their genuine initial struggles to find work having made the brave decision to make the move without jobs or even an offer of one. It all sorted itself out though and the show ended on a happy note, or at least we thought, until the postscript at the end where it showed that his Nan who featured in the programme and had brought him up and given her blessing for them to go had ultimately passed away. As for the family from Yorkshire in yesterday's episode, who sold their gym in England and set up one on the Gold Coast, none of them came across on TV very well at all. Next week's episode was due to be the first, until the Daily Mail got hold of it - features a couple from Brighton who move to Brighton in Melbourne, having never even been to Australia before. He cant get a job, she spends all their savings.... You get the drift.

Keeps us interested I guess. At least until we head off down under on the 31st anyway
      Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. If successful the plan is to make the move during 2017....

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast