Wanted down under is back on!

rosiew

how would the lady beauty therapist with a 21 year old graduate and 19 year old ever get a visa .......

I wondered that too. It seemed that the man who ran the beauty salon they showed does sponsor 457s but told her she was not qualified enough. The daughter only had a 3 year degree so couldn't register as a primary teacher even if she could get a visa and the son I guess would be an international student. In the updates on iplayer it did say that they were all upskilling to come. They must have had other sources of income or properties to sell. I felt sorry for the Mum as she is obviously trying to keep the family together but a 19 and 21 year old are half way out of the nest already.

Currently watching James and Kelly.... seriously how negative can one person be! She must be a challenge to live with. I know the show can be edited to show a certain slant but only negative negative negative things coming out of her mouth. Even Nicki said on a few occasions 'poor James!'

Edited by Guest

Currently watching James and Kelly.... seriously how negative can one person be! She must be a challenge to live with. I know the show can be edited to show a certain slant but only negative negative negative things coming out of her mouth. Even Nicki said on a few occasions 'poor James!'

They were shown fabulous home and work options, sadly, I think Kelly won't be travelling to far beyond her parent's house.

James, you tried, in fairness.

B

I do feel a bit bad now saying that. Didn't mean to come across negative myself. I know it's a massive life decision and one not to be taken lightly. I know you need to look at all the pros and cons not just of weather but financial, jobs, schools, lifestyle, family etc.. I just keep cheering her on willing her to say something positive about something! I could see her twitching when speaking to the other lovely British couple - they were trying to give them a balanced view and Kelly just couldn't wait to say 'but what are the cons, there must be cons'. I actually feel a bit sorry for someone who really needs to see negatives so much in life. Well, wish them all the very best in whatever they do of course.

SPOILER

very interesting update! Good for them.

[h=2]Reeves Sibson family update[/h]

The Reeves Sibson family were recently in touch to let us know they are still living in the UK.

After their trial week, they spent a few more weeks in a different area of Melbourne and absolutely loved it.

They have now decided to move to Australia in three years. They would really love to move sooner but need to save more money before making the move.

The family are moving house shortly and the kids have also got some new pet rabbits. Despite the new exciting developments in the UK - they’re all missing the Australian weather big time!

I watched the same episode, where he'd go over, have less responsibility and basically get double what he was on in England. Which is why me and my now wife went on the programme! It was aired on 4th January and we went to Perth. We are still wanting to get to Australia at some point but we have just paid for our wedding so have to save up some money again. Did anybody on here watch our episode? Mathew and Phillipa :)

I watched it and thought you came across well which some people really don't. Although I did laugh when one of you complained one of the houses you viewed was too small given that your home in England is a tiny terrace.

I watched the same episode, where he'd go over, have less responsibility and basically get double what he was on in England. Which is why me and my now wife went on the programme! It was aired on 4th January and we went to Perth. We are still wanting to get to Australia at some point but we have just paid for our wedding so have to save up some money again. Did anybody on here watch our episode? Mathew and Phillipa :)

Yes @matre123 watched it and I thought you both came over very well. Definitely heads screwed for younger folk ! Congrats on the wedding! Ps love Phillipa's style, very 50's :-)

Are you still wanting to head to Perth?

They were shown fabulous home and work options, sadly, I think Kelly won't be travelling to far beyond her parent's house.

James, you tried, in fairness.

B

you can tell I'm a melburnian. I thought those houses were SO cheap!! Half the median!

And if you watched yesterday's episode (Gateshead to Adelaide) please do your own research on the actual salary of a teaching assistant in Adelaide - highly unlikely to be 29,000 pounds for 3 days a week in school terms as reported in the episode. But then butter doesn't cost over 4 pounds a week either, so I'm not sure a skilled mathematician was on the production calculator that day!

Yes @matre123 watched it and I thought you both came over very well. Definitely heads screwed for younger folk ! Congrats on the wedding! Ps love Phillipa's style, very 50's :-)

Are you still wanting to head to Perth?

Thank you! we are still wanting to head to Perth, really enjoyed our time there. Just working my way through the skills assessment application form :/

Today's revisited..

apparently getting a student visa counts as permanent migration and all of the family can chose to come along too including adult children and parents over 50

really BBC it's a good bit of entertainment but why are some episodes so unrealistic with visas it's verging on an outright lie

a couple of days ago the family took 3 years to get a visa and eventually made the move isn't that more like the truth?

Today's revisited..

apparently getting a student visa counts as permanent migration and all of the family can chose to come along too including adult children and parents over 50

really BBC it's a good bit of entertainment but why are some episodes so unrealistic with visas it's verging on an outright lie

Thats just wrong in so many ways isn't it.

Today's revisited..

a couple of days ago the family took 3 years to get a visa and eventually made the move isn't that more like the truth?

Yes I wondered how that student visa was going to play out. I guess what they had going for them was if they could get work as entertainers they could actually survive on the 20 hours a week work restriction - unlike people earning an ordinary service industry hourly rate like most students. I could see years of visa stress ahead though.

We caught it half way through and were wondering all the time what sort of entertainment they were involved in... our guesses were dancing and juggling ! Turns out Madonna and West Life tribute bands ! :laugh:

I've got the episodes recorded and watching in incorrect order but it amazes me, having gone through the process, how many people simply would not be eligible for a visa yet get onto the show. I also thought that one couple played up the decision massively and that they had already decided to go, but wanted a free activation visit (they had already secured PR visa)!

I've got the episodes recorded and watching in incorrect order but it amazes me, having gone through the process, how many people simply would not be eligible for a visa yet get onto the show. I also thought that one couple played up the decision massively and that they had already decided to go, but wanted a free activation visit (they had already secured PR visa)!

We had already secured the visa AND planned a rough date to move, when they approached us and they knew we had, as they approached us via the agent we had used. They still wanted us to make the show although back then it had a slightly different format. Too right part of the reason we did it was for a free holiday here, a sneaky peak at 'what was to come', i had never visted Australia and we didnt have funds too as we had saved it all for the big move , so i understand others doing the same and dont really see an issue with it.

Our show still aired with the ''will they ,won't they' aspect even though everyone knew we where 'doing it', its edited to the hilt,hilariously so, when you look back and its done purposely to gain viewers like any reality type show.

Cal x

We had already secured the visa AND planned a rough date to move, when they approached us and they knew we had, as they approached us via the agent we had used. They still wanted us to make the show although back then it had a slightly different format. Too right part of the reason we did it was for a free holiday here, a sneaky peak at 'what was to come', i had never visted Australia and we didnt have funds too as we had saved it all for the big move , so i understand others doing the same and dont really see an issue with it.

Our show still aired with the ''will they ,won't they' aspect even though everyone knew we where 'doing it', its edited to the hilt,hilariously so, when you look back and its done purposely to gain viewers like any reality type show.

Cal x

I think its a very smart play and wish we had done the same thing

I've got the episodes recorded and watching in incorrect order but it amazes me, having gone through the process, how many people simply would not be eligible for a visa yet get onto the show.

Oh gosh yes, but they're making entertainment, not acting as agents. As long as people are aware of that and don;'t get their hopes up I guess it's OK but my concern is that there are some on the show and watching it who may get 'led along'. I also wonder if some people could even afford the process, given how costly visas are these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching last week's "A New Life in OZ". This show has even less knowledgeable production people that WDU. Today they said that new cars in Australia are very cheap because "The government subsidizes the car industry". They were buying a Hyundai......I obviously live in a parallel universe......

However, it doesn't top last week's assertion that a woman working in a lowish level HR position and her casual labourer husband were clearing 11,000 pounds a month.....

Edited by rosiew

Oh gosh yes, but they're making entertainment, not acting as agents. As long as people are aware of that and don;'t get their hopes up I guess it's OK but my concern is that there are some on the show and watching it who may get 'led along'. I also wonder if some people could even afford the process, given how costly visas are these days.

But thats the problem, so many people watching it take the visa and financial info as gospel. Thats why everytime there's a series of it, people start popping up wanting to move to oz and then finding out they can't. Happens year after year. It raises people's hopes with unrealistic and misleading info.

• Like 1

I'm watching last week's "A New Life in OZ". This show has even less knowledgeable production people that WDU. Today they said that new cars in Australia are very cheap because "The government subsidizes the car industry". They were buying a Hyundai......I obviously live in a parallel universe......

However, it doesn't top last week's assertion that a woman working in a lowish level HR position and her casual labourer husband were clearing 11,000 pounds a month.....

Blimey, wish I lived in that universe!!!

Good heavens- that's nuts! If they budget wisely it might be 1100! As long as it isn't the month for big bills!

It's often on in the gym when I visit - have you ever seen a 20kg kettle bell thrown through a tv screen by a lady old aged pensioner - won't be long I suspect! (Just have to get the release right for the height!)