Can i rent a house straight away?

welder85

If you can find a landlord/agent willing to rent to you immediately upon arriving in Australia, then yes, you can rent "straight away".

The most important thing in the eyes of the property owner is that you can pay for the rental. That might be challenging considering you have no job at that time, but assuming you can demonstrate a suitably large bank balance, and you can sell yourselves well, then that issue can be overcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

I'm in Sydney and moving to Perth in a few weeks. The rental market in Sydney is very tight at the moment (landlords market) so it would be harder. There seems to be plenty of stock on the market in Perth (renters market) so you should be ok. Get all your documents ready for applications, ID, previous rental history/rental references (if you have one - even from the UK) and bank statements showing sufficient funds (ie ability to pay the rent)

Take advantage of your mate's hospitality. You should be ok, if you're having an issue try offering a few months rent upfront.

Most if not all migrants rent a home within 2 to 4 weeks of landing, so dont worry too much just look into the process and make sure you have all the relevant paperwork ready to submitt applications once you have viewed the houses. Its common to rent a holiday let or furnished house for your first fee weeks but if you can stay with friends thats a bonus and a saving for you.

Cal x

Hi,

Guessing a few may have experience of this... can we rent straight away upon landing with a 189 but no jobs?

Thanks

there are a lot of empty rentals in Perth, you should have agents chasing after you. They still have min requirements though, and without history you may need six months up front.

Also, landlords in Perth can take this piss. You aren't even allow to stick up a poster in the kids bedrooms. Photo and email any damage you find. Also make sure you are agreed on gardens and who pays for water etc.

You should actually read the small print with a Perth rental agreement when the agent is there and question anything that is not clear.

Plus make sure it has working air conditioning.

Edited by newjez

Hey mate,

I'm in Sydney and moving to Perth in a few weeks. The rental market in Sydney is very tight at the moment (landlords market) so it would be harder. There seems to be plenty of stock on the market in Perth (renters market) so you should be ok. Get all your documents ready for applications, ID, previous rental history/rental references (if you have one - even from the UK) and bank statements showing sufficient funds (ie ability to pay the rent)

Take advantage of your mate's hospitality. You should be ok, if you're having an issue try offering a few months rent upfront.

Thanks for the reply...so even UK references are a help? Good stuff

Thanks for all the replies, I assume once you have a job it's much easier? We rent in the UK and to get a rental here it's £xxxx deposit, first month rent £xxxx, oh and referencing £xxx and credit check £xxx...it soon adds up with the referencing, administration and credit checking.. is it the same in Aus

Perth you will be fine. I am private renting direct with the landlord and they are both so nice, they knew I was on a temporary visa and still let me stay, young single male so estate agents aside, renting direct with the landlord could be an easier way for you. Also negotiate on the rent too. Can easily save between 20 and 100 bucks a week..

When we came 4 years ago people were bidding for the rental, even if you got it people would ring up the agent afterwards and out bid you!! As stated rentals are easy at the minute and even negotiable. B e prepared for 70s themed decor and agents who make al capone look like a kindergarten worker. We did a walk through with videos and noted every thing.

Also upon arrival no one would entertain us because of no work history,we even offered 6 months rent up front. After renting a holiday let for a while we built up a bit of history.

Gumtree perth is good for private Landlords.... good luck

• 2 weeks later...