Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Richard Gregan

This now appears to be confirmed in correspondence from AHPRA to several of our clients.

Once AHPRA In Principle Approval Of Registration is granted, applicants must now present themselves at an AHPRA office within three months of the letter. Their office has said that they no longer give 12 months for applicants to present as before.

If additional costs are a factor, then we would not recommend visa applicants apply to AHPRA too early. Preferably you would want to have your visa grant already, as you will only have 12 weeks to turn up at an AHPRA office to activate full registration, unless of course you are ok about flying there beforehand with the purpose of activating your registration.

Regards,

Richard

Only speculation at this stage, but it may be to reduce the amount of active files they have in process. Many people apply for AHPRA registration abroad and then never follow it up for whatever reason, so by cutting the activation window down then they can reduce the number of active cases. Hopefully AHPRA will issue a statement on this in due course.

Regards,

Richard

• 1 year later...

I just got my nursing registration in principle letter, Yayyyy!!!.( I am a Brit who moved to Canada many years ago). I need to present to the AHPRA office with prof of a visa. Is the ETA tourist visa good enough to present to AHPRA with because you don’t get a paper copy, just an email confirmation and you can not look it up using VEVO. I can check the visa status on the ETA website. Will I be able to use this 601 visa???

Hi Jenki75, yes an ETA for a tourist visa is enough.

I just printed off the email with my grant notification and visa details and submitted it to AHPRA for proof of visa and they accepted it. I think mine was an e-visitor (subclass 651)

Edited by PsychNurse
Typo

Hi PsychNurse, now I feel more comfortable about the visa. I have another question because my COGS and criminal record check expire a few days before I will fly in. Did you sign the statutory decorations for these? If so who did you get to witness them?

Thanks for your help!

On 14/03/2018 at 03:28, Jenki75 said:

Hi PsychNurse, now I feel more comfortable about the visa. I have another question because my COGS and criminal record check expire a few days before I will fly in. Did you sign the statutory decorations for these? If so who did you get to witness them?

Thanks for your help!

Hello, yes you can sign a statutory declaration for both the COGS and the criminal record check.

option 1 - sign a statutory declaration here (UK or your home country) and ask a notary public to sign it (costly option)

option 2- once you arrive in australia-ask a Justice of Peace to sign one for free! They are usually based in local libraries, etc. Easily located on google - where you can check the times they will be at certain locations. They will need to see the original documents if possible. You can then take the statutory declarations with you to AHPRA.

P.s if you have documents that will need certifying to be attached to an ANMAC skills assessment or visa application- take them all with you to Australia and get them all certified for free! A UK Birmingham solicitor was charging me £50 per signature/page. ?In Australia, I got the Justice of Peace to do over 20 pages x 2 copies of each for free! He did 1 copy for ANMAC, 1 copy for visa application supporting documents. Saved a small fortune ?

Best wishes :)

Edited by PsychNurse
Typo

I presented in person today at AHPRA. I wish I had have been more prepared for what you suggested re the JP signing ANMAC paperwork. Nevermind it might help someone else.

So I landed at Sydney international at 0730hrs and bought a train card from W.H.Smith's. I got on the train and went to the bank to finish opening my account that I started online. I gave my Australian address and they printed me a certificate off. I walked all the way down George street until I got to AHPRA and still with my suitcase, went up to the office. They gave me a sheet for Justice of the peace addresses and times they were avalible. I walked to the closest one and got the 2 stat declarations signed. 4.5 hrs after my flight landed it was all done. AHPRA recommended I wait until April 1st to be registered as it's renewal time for next year's registration. They said I will be on the register for April 1st. Perfect! So happy and the weather is 30 and sunny. So happy to be out of the snow and minus temps of Canada. 

23 hours ago, PsychNurse said:

Hello, yes you can sign a statutory declaration for both the COGS and the criminal record check.

option 1 - sign a statutory declaration here (UK or your home country) and ask a notary public to sign it (costly option)

option 2- once you arrive in australia-ask a Justice of Peace to sign one for free! They are usually based in local libraries, etc. Easily located on google - where you can check the times they will be at certain locations. They will need to see the original documents if possible. You can then take the statutory declarations with you to AHPRA.

P.s if you have documents that will need certifying to be attached to an ANMAC skills assessment or visa application- take them all with you to Australia and get them all certified for free! A UK Birmingham solicitor was charging me £50 per signature/page. ?In Australia, I got the Justice of Peace to do over 20 pages x 2 copies of each for free! He did 1 copy for ANMAC, 1 copy for visa application supporting documents. Saved a small fortune ?

Best wishes 

• Like 2

That’s amazing! You must be so chaffed to have it all sorted in such record time. 

Please ignore that last bit about getting extra copies certified for the ANMAC and the visa application. I’m pretty sure you can now upload original colour documents of supporting documents for both ANMAC (now online) and your visa application. They do not need to be certified. I’m sure someone will be along to correct me if i’m wrong.

30degrees and ? - wowwww! You timed your trip perfectly. Enjoy the amazing weather and your trip

best wishes

Edited by PsychNurse
Typo