So confused, advice needed please!!!

louwilkins

Hi guys,

I am completely new to the site and am after some advice please. I qualified as a nurse in the UK in September 2016 and am desperate to emigrate with my husband and 3 children to Oz (Perth, as my parents live there). I need to get the process started in order to apply for a 189 visa. However, I am getting myself worked up and confused over what I need to do first? Do I apply for a skills assessment and then registration? Once I have done this do I then sit an IELTS?

Please can someone help and point me in the right direction? I have tried searching the posts on here but haven't found any answers yet.:confused:

My wife is also at the beginning stage of this process. You can apply to aphra first with all your qualifications and transcript etc. Once you are registered you can apply to Anmac without doing the ILETS to have your skills assessment completed, although I believe you still need to do this for your visa so it would be wise to do your ILETS test as soon as possible. Once you have your skills assessment you can submit your EOI and go from there. If anyone thinks I have got anything wrong feel free to correct :) hope that helps!

IELTS academic. At any time from now. Revise hard and sign up for the free tutorial course.

Providing you have full degree and at least 3 months full time paid experience. Start gathering evidence for anmac. The evidence will be nearly the same evidence as requited for aphra so worth getting 2 lots of the same evidence. You will need to read the requirements on both the aphra and anmac websites for evidence

@louwilkins I have just arrived in Perth. So it is all still fairly new.

The process took took me a little while- the first thing I did was apply for my AHPRA in Nov 2016 however having read something just recently on this site there is a post stating that AHPRA no longer give you 12 months in which to present yourself so I would actually leave this until you are sure you will be able to present yourself within 3 months of receiving a registration in principle.

I would start with the Academic IELTS, I'm going to guess that for visa points you will probably need to score and 8. I struggled with the ISLTS and ended up taking around 6 tests. I got a score of 7 in the Academic (which is the level you have to take for your ANMAC skills assessment) I then took the general to obtain a score of 8.

After a successful IELTS score of 7 or above you car start you skills assessment. You will need to contact the NMC and ask them to send a confirmation of your registration you can also request a copy to be sent to AHPRA which they will hold at their office until such a time that they receive your application. The document must be sent directly from NMC to ANMAC & AHPRA. You will also need to contact your university and request your transcripts- again ask for 2 both for ANMAC & AHPRA.

once you get your positive skills assessment and you have the required 60 points you can submit your EOI. I submitted my EOI at the end of July, submitted our visa mid August and received a grant by the end of October.

Given that the rules for AHPRA are changing I would consider applying for this last. It was the one application that did take the longest to process but it was also the one I did not want to have to repeat. I received my registration in principle in Jan 2016 and I have only just presented myself and this morning received confirmation of registration...I'm soooo lucky I just scraped through!!!

I hope ole that helps a bit, I'm happy to help wherever I can

Lara

Hi guys,

I am completely new to the site and am after some advice please. I qualified as a nurse in the UK in September 2016 and am desperate to emigrate with my husband and 3 children to Oz (Perth, as my parents live there). I need to get the process started in order to apply for a 189 visa. However, I am getting myself worked up and confused over what I need to do first? Do I apply for a skills assessment and then registration? Once I have done this do I then sit an IELTS?

Please can someone help and point me in the right direction? I have tried searching the posts on here but haven't found any answers yet.:confused:

just out of interest, how long have your parents lived in Perth and do they have citizenship?

You don't need ahpra for visa only to work so I wouldn't complicate things for yourself too much and forget that for now but keep a copy of all your documents as you may need to send same ones to ahpra. Read the anmac website and soak up all the info on there and start there...also read the immi website on your visa of choice....write a list of what you need to do and tick them off as you go..that's what I did..it seems like a confusing mountain initially but lots of reading and it starts to make sense and is straight forward enough when u get you head round it all....I did mine without an agent and there was no issues and I felt like u did in the beginning

One of our agents has posted yesterday that you now once principle approval of registration has been given you only have 3 months to present to an AHPRA office to complete. With this in mind, I would suggest skills assessment first and apply for registration later.

In my view, you probably shouldn't apply for AHPRA first, because AHPRA now require all registration applicants to present themselves in person at an AHPRA office in Australia within three months of Approval-In-Principle in order to activate their registration!

Unless you wish to travel to Australia exclusively to activate your registration then this does complicate things.

You would be better advised to undertake an ANMAC approved English language test, then apply to ANMAC to have your skills approved. Then you can apply for a visa. Once your visa is lodged then you can look at AHPRA registration and try to time it so that it is approved around about the time of your visa grant (although there is always an element of uncertainty with this - visa grants can be delayed for any number of reasons). This is assuming you are planning to head to Australia within three months of your visa grant.

If you are not in quite so much of a hurry, you could just wait until your visa is granted, before applying to AHPRA.

Of course, all of this assumes you wish to work as a nurse. If you are planning a change of career once you arrive in Australia then you don't need AHPRA registration.

Bear in mind that before you launch into this, you need to make sure you meet the overall points score and eligibility requirements for an Australian visa to begin with.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan

• 2 weeks later...