Glad to be home!

MKG

We were there 2 years, and now we are back it feels like we never been away but in a good way! X

Interesting.

Just curious but how long after you arrived did you get the feeling that you may not want to stay, I mean was it quite early on or was it in the last part of your 2 years stay when you had that moment ?

Was there any key event that led to your decision ?

Or did things just build up slowly ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wasn't straight away, when we arrived I thought yes I can see us living here forever but once that initial feeling went and time went on we could never see our future there as it was never going to be home. X

You did the right thing by not hanging around too long then, no point prolonging the inevitable.

At least youre clear on what you want. Some people blow all their savings floating back and forth not really knowing what they really want.

Until the money runs out and they are stuck in what will be the wrong place no doubt.

• 5 weeks later...
Really?????? That amazes me,i came here to australia in 1967 and never regretted it for 1 second,i know yorkshire is great but comparable to australia ??? No way.

Depends where you left in Yorkshire ,or where you moved to in oz ....i mean would you move from the Yorkshire dales to coober pedy ...probably not .

There again bob moved from Bradford to Queensland which was probably a wise move .

You must be missing out on threads somehow then, ive read 3 new threads today from people looking at moving to Aus that were posted in the last 24 hrs. I think sometimes the threads from those returning tend to have 'more to say' so attract more replies , a bit like this one.

Cal x

You must be missing out on threads somehow then, ive read 3 new threads today from people looking at moving to Aus that were posted in the last 24 hrs. I think sometimes the threads from those returning tend to have 'more to say' so attract more replies , a bit like this one.

Cal x

Plus Ive seen many get jumped all over for posting that they want a new or better life etc, and don't come back, very sad really.

How do the kids like being back?

We came 20 months ago, and whilst me and my wife thought we'd 'try it' for a while before we would see if we'd stay, our kids seem to have already chose Aus. I guess there's more to do and better weather and things for them to do for more of the year and less depressing environment than our old hometown. From their perspective it's great! (probably because they don't have to pay the bills... ha ha)

From our perspective we like it, but the cost of things is pretty hard to overcome in Sydney. It just is super expensive!

NB - I'm not really looking for lots of other answers and all kinds of topics here from everyone else on here, just really specifically asking how the kids like being back in the UK. thanks :)

I am afraid it works both ways, those who say they prefer the UK are hounded on, those who say they prefer Oz are hounded on.

There's a wee bit of truth in what you say PB. It seems these days there are people who enjoy knocking both countries. Once they have happily returned to the UK they have to pick Australia to bits and then there are those who are here in Australia and haven't a good thing to say about the UK. Gets a bit tedious after a while. No wonder it's so quiet here these days.

We came 20 months ago, and whilst me and my wife thought we'd 'try it' for a while before we would see if we'd stay, our kids seem to have already chose Aus. I guess there's more to do and better weather and things for them to do for more of the year and less depressing environment than our old hometown. From their perspective it's great! (probably because they don't have to pay the bills... ha ha)

From our perspective we like it, but the cost of things is pretty hard to overcome in Sydney. It just is super expensive!

NB - I'm not really looking for lots of other answers and all kinds of topics here from everyone else on here, just really specifically asking how the kids like being back in the UK. thanks :)

Our Aussie born and bred kids love it here and have no interest in going back to live. One mentioned today that he would like to go back on holiday to see a friend. He certainly isn't finding less to do and neither if them liked beaches or the heat really. I find the phrase better weather very much an opinion, first me the cooler weather enables me to do more outside.

kids dont care, they just want fun...they live off their parebts vibes and sence of adventure, if any parent lets the weather dictate what they do be it heavy rain or scorching heat then they aint a good parent IMHO, if you have time with your kids sacrifice yourself to make the time great for the kids...some of my most enjoyable memories are fishing with my dad when i had to drag him out of the house to go fishing in the lashing rain lol

Yes I guess. In reality all this moving from one side of the world to another is a bit more complicated than that.

I'm pretty sure our kids would be fairly happy either way. Our old home town has a bit less going for it these days. Modern Britain means all the work is in the a handful of cities. All the towns are full of empty shops, pound shops, and young people are on heroin again like it's the 80s. That's life in a north Wales town.

It's all quite confusing! But it's good to know some people have gone back and it's all working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So happy I found this thread. I have been toying with the idea of moving back for a while. Not home to Ireland but to the UK. Husband has a better chance of finding work there. He is 16 years here from NZ and I am ten years here. We just find now that everything is so expensive. All our savings is spent trying to visit family in Ireland or New Zealand. Housing and childcare is so expensive just can't get ahead. So may as well be closer to family and not getting ahead instead. Ryanair is cheap to travel if planned ahead and can always catch a ferry to Ireland that's not expensive either.

Once you get back and decide the uk is right for you don't you feel like it's time to move on from this forum after a while? It is called poms in oz after all ;)

Even those people who've moved back have valuable information and experience to share. Sure, it does get a bit heated sometimes on the Aus is better/UK is better debate, but I won't stop posting once we move back. We aren't moving back because we hate Australia and want nothing more to do with it, and we don't for a second regret the time we've had here, and likewise we aren't moving back because we think the UK is better. It's just better for us for now. Who knows what is around the corner? I've still experience of living in Sydney, the migration and citizenship process, and also of the moving back dilemma and process to share with others who might be in the same boat. If I can share that and give back some of the fabulous help, advice and support I've had here over the 10 years I've been a member, I will.

Yes I guess. In reality all this moving from one side of the world to another is a bit more complicated than that.

I'm pretty sure our kids would be fairly happy either way. Our old home town has a bit less going for it these days. Modern Britain means all the work is in the a handful of cities. All the towns are full of empty shops, pound shops, and young people are on heroin again like it's the 80s. That's life in a north Wales town.

It's all quite confusing! But it's good to know some people have gone back and it's all working well.

It is complicated, and also harder the older the kids are in my opinion. We're just in the process of planning a relocation back to the UK from Sydney, and I've found not only the decision making part (should we go/should we stay) harder than it was when we came out here, but also making decisions on where to go is harder. We know where we don't want to go, but as neither of us are likely to have a job when we go back (unless we happen to be lucky and one of us finds something from over here and it ties in with selling OH's business and when we can move), we don't have a fixed point to anchor ourselves on. It's actually quite scary, particularly with regards to finding a good school for the kids.

Even those people who've moved back have valuable information and experience to share. Sure, it does get a bit heated sometimes on the Aus is better/UK is better debate, but I won't stop posting once we move back. We aren't moving back because we hate Australia and want nothing more to do with it, and we don't for a second regret the time we've had here, and likewise we aren't moving back because we think the UK is better. It's just better for us for now. Who knows what is around the corner? I've still experience of living in Sydney, the migration and citizenship process, and also of the moving back dilemma and process to share with others who might be in the same boat. If I can share that and give back some of the fabulous help, advice and support I've had here over the 10 years I've been a member, I will.

I certainly will look forward to your updates once you are settled back in the UK LKC. :smile:

There are a couple of members here I have put on ignore as they make nothing but snide comments about their time in Australia and hint that those of us who enjoy our lives here are in some way intellectually deficient.

My elder son is living and working in Ireland and having a wonderful time. His next move is to Canada. The world is your oyster so grab any opportunity with both hands.

I certainly will look forward to your updates once you are settled back in the UK LKC. :smile:

There are a couple of members here I have put on ignore as they make nothing but snide comments about their time in Australia and hint that those of us who enjoy our lives here are in some way intellectually deficient.

My elder son is living and working in Ireland and having a wonderful time. His next move is to Canada. The world is your oyster so grab any opportunity with both hands.

I shall be sure to keep the updates coming then JockinTas! Funnily enough, when we started thinking about moving away from Sydney we considered Tasmania, which we LOVE! However, the main reason for our move back is so that we can be in the same country as family and just a car drive or short flight away, rather than 24 hours and $8000 in tickets away, which of course would still be the case (or more so, actually) in Tas. We also looked at Ireland and Canada, but that seemed harder than we wanted it to be.

We aren't viewing our move as 'moving back', more moving on to something new and exciting (if slightly terrifying!) which is why we've decided to move to a different place than where we came from. To be fair, we need something extraordinary to live up to what we've had here!

So many variables in all this. Most reasons people will factor in personal, family and reasons that aren't really anyone else's business. So it's kind of pointless debating it all with people on the internet. (Especially those keyboard warriors ha ha)

If we move back I guess we'll just do it. This forum has been super handy for practical advice and I'd come here again for more of the same. But personal decisions are exactly that.

Good luck LKC!

Ah no, that does not describe 'all the towns' at all. Actually it describes my 'hometown' Geelong very accurately. All the work in modern Britain is not in a handful of cities.

Lots of people have returned very successfully, our family is an example of that.