Glad to be home!

MKG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably depends what you do for work. But the kind of work I do mostly gets done in London, with bits and bobs in other big cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think of an occupation other than MP where that is the case. Many, who work in London assume it is, but reality is very different. For example, here are the occupations of a few friends and their locations.

Commodities trader. York

Senior Microsoft Project Manager. Middlesbrough

Senior civil servant. Manchester

Senior Software engineer. Leicester

IBM solutions engineer. Leicester.

I live in in a tiny Scottish village and my next door neighbour is one of the best UK opera singers.

Most big design and ad agencies are in London. There are a few smaller places on manchester, glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool. But in general they are all in London.

It's kind of the same in that industry all over the world. Paris, NYC, LA, Syd/Melb etc

Not really relevant unless you happen to be in that industry.

Still think it's a waste of time arguing with strangers. Pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think of an occupation other than MP where that is the case. Many, who work in London assume it is, but reality is very different. For example, here are the occupations of a few friends and their locations. Commodities trader. YorkSenior Microsoft Project Manager. MiddlesbroughSenior civil servant. ManchesterSenior Software engineer. LeicesterIBM solutions engineer. Leicester. I live in in a tiny Scottish village and my next door neighbour is one of the best UK opera singers.

I can't think of an occupation other than MP where that is the case. Many, who work in London assume it is, but reality is very different. For example, here are the occupations of a few friends and their locations. Commodities trader. YorkSenior Microsoft Project Manager. MiddlesbroughSenior civil servant. ManchesterSenior Software engineer. LeicesterIBM solutions engineer. Leicester. I live in in a tiny Scottish village and my next door neighbour is one of the best UK opera singers.
exactly, bets friend is a partner in a london law firm, lives in Ireland works 3-4 days a week in London or client meetings, other is a barrister he lives in a small village in dorset and also works in london when he needs to, I work up in London and live in rural east sussex. but I also work from home at least 2 days a week and when I choose due the nature of my work or inevitable train strike. :frown:The london I left 18 years ago has a much more improved working ethos, 4 day week is norm in city for senior, I am paid by outcome and not hours. I know one guy who lives in spain and does 4 day weeks also. I can work a full billable week and also spend 1/3 of that week in France with the kids during mid-term.finally, London is superb for work, culture, variety and opportunity, but the arbitrage formula is to work/live in a place that allows a good house to income ratio of 3:1 or less ......That's very hard to find in certain parts of Australia due to the lack of good rail and broadband.Do-able here.

Ah no, that does not describe 'all the towns' at all. Actually it describes my 'hometown' Geelong very accurately. All the work in modern Britain is not in a handful of cities.

Lots of people have returned very successfully, our family is an example of that.

What job is it that you actually have out in the countryside that makes it possible to assert so glibly that there are good jobs all over the UK, when literally everyone else's experience is that good jobs are concentrated in a few larger cities with London dominant, isn't that what Brexit is predominately about.

Keeping on with this kind of assertion just doesn't help people trying to make difficult decisions on the other side of the world.

Australia does have some real pluses going for it and people need a real reflection of how it is in the UK after 10 years of Tory increasing austerity and the most momentous economic experiment ever undertaken by a country about to be eagerly embraced by a population which still has not had the risks clearly explained to it.

I'm sure that everyone's circumstances are different and there will be different drivers for the decision to come back but people do need to know that there are real challenges here and housing is one , the state of the health service is another.

Also that until there is some clarity with the consequences of brexit the economic future of the country is uncertain.

Also that the whole education system is in flux with cuts to school budgets about to wreak havoc and teachers feeling increasingly demotivated after being savaged by successive extremist govt ministers with a dramatic shortage of teachers, doctors and nurses.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

One of the reasons I am coming back is that I can afford a nice warm modern insulated house which I can share with my 2 dogs. The Sydney property market is brutal, it has risen 10% in the last 6 months and thanks to Brexit the UK is now 25% cheaper. The house I sold was riddled with damp and termites, all the windows were rotten and it sold for a million pounds. A new property is not an option as all the developments are strata and the strata rules prevent me having more than 1 dog. Not to mention the ridiculous bickering about whether you can hang your washing up outside....

I agree with you about the health service though.

One of the reasons I am coming back is that I can afford a nice warm modern insulated house which I can share with my 2 dogs. The Sydney property market is brutal, it has risen 10% in the last 6 months and thanks to Brexit the UK is now 25% cheaper. The house I sold was riddled with damp and termites, all the windows were rotten and it sold for a million pounds. A new property is not an option as all the developments are strata and the strata rules prevent me having more than 1 dog. Not to mention the ridiculous bickering about whether you can hang your washing up outside....

I agree with you about the health service though.

Could you not have moved out a little to allow two dogs?

I looked within a 10k radius but the newer properties be they houses or units are strata as the trend is to sell large lots and build multiple properties on them. There are plenty of nice Villas near where I live but they all have restrictions on animals. I also have other reasons for moving back,but its cheering to know that I can afford a place I like. Ironically I moved out in the Asian crisis when the $ was worth 33p, half what it is now and as a consequence the Sydney housing market seemed cheap!