advice tips for moving back to UK

jgt

Well after nearly 4 years here in Perth and fighting all the way i think we are going to have to go back to the Uk. We simply cant afford to keep living here. Im in construction which is on its back side.We are mentally,physically knackered ,living in 70s rentals for hollywood prices and Columbo themed decor.Never worked as hard in my life y

Any tips on what you did when you went back, what would you have done differently.

PLEASE no Aus v the UK . it goes nowhere fast :wink:

Have you thought about moving to the East coast? If you are set on returning I would advise you to get citizenship first, many a person here has regretted not doing so. Also keep your Aus bank account open, and cancel any insurance on your super.

Otherwise it is much the same as moving here. Is it just you or do you have family and or pets to consider.

Sorry it hasn't worked out, we are on our second attempt and will definitely get citizenship this time. Will we stay forever.....the jury is out. Both countries have their pros and cons.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but have you considered moving elsewhere in Australia if you like Australia itself and it's just the job situation that is tough? Maybe you'd have better luck elsewhere, and it might be cheaper to try somewhere else in Aus first, on the off chance that you make a go of it.

ETA: Yeah, pretty much what Rammygirl beat me to saying!

Edited by LKC

Hey there and thanks, its a possibility. Moving again seems daunting, especialy if we move and then decide its not for us,thats 2 moves maybe more, anyway we got two boys one is on apprentice, hell probably stay ,our youngest finds Perth boring which i agree on to an extent. Winters are tough.

Mentally all over the place at the mo. Yes well probably try for citizenship first, silly not to

sorry to hear that jgt, the construction company I work for, only last year opened a Perth office, so hopefully they know of future potential,and they have picked up a few contracts lately. PM me if you would like more info.

Perth does seem to be struggling the most out of the capitol cities, Brisbane is quite busy and only yesterday the papers listed up and coming projects for 2017 of over $80 billion.

Good luck with everything.

Well after nearly 4 years here in Perth and fighting all the way i think we are going to have to go back to the Uk. We simply cant afford to keep living here. Im in construction which is on its back side.We are mentally,physically knackered ,living in 70s rentals for hollywood prices and Columbo themed decor.Never worked as hard in my life y

Any tips on what you did when you went back, what would you have done differently.

Sorry to hear you situation. I am in Melbourne and construction appears to be booming, lots of new flats being built in my suburb and lots of surrounding suburbs, the work to remove the level crossings. I hear Sydney also the same, but only hearsay. The CBD is continually changing since I came over 7 years ago, some parts I do not recogonise now(hardly venture into the CBD much these days).

Maybe put your feelers out to check them out, contact a few recruitment agencies.

As for rentals, suspect you will find some very similar 70's style in Melbourne, with similar pricing ;)

Cannot comment on going back to the UK, even though I have considered it the last year, as I am now moving to Canada. Similar situation with my line of work, found myself in a niche role and IT is outsourcing or offshoring a lot but still immigration is high for IT overall. The IT market is pretty swamped and focused on some key areas.

Good luck with your decision.

Hey Keith, Do you think the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast will create a lot of construction jobs in the lead up ?

Probably too late for them to be building things now though for that.

It has done Parley, we have been there and done a few things but yes it is just about all over now, the accommodation units can not be far off complete now maybe just fitting out. The light railway will be the biggest on-going project now I think.

we just hired removalists, they packed and removed everything. Perth is in a down cycle and will be for a while. Brisbane is on the up though. The commonwealth games may spark more activity. Plus there is lots of mining kicking off in the north. You may not be a miner, but there is always a lot of subsidery work. It will be hard in the long term with kids in different countries. Different states is preferred.

We just booked tickets, arranged the dog and sold our stuff.

If if you have a pet to bring, then that is one of the first things to deal with.

Next, decide where in the UK you want to live. No reason you have to go back to the same place. I would look at jobs and living costs and lifestyle. Do you want to be city based or rural or something in between.

Then, decide on if you are going to ship your things or buy again here. We just shipped personal items in a small move cube. If I had the money, I would have used a large move cube and brought our bed. But wouldn't have brought much else. At the time we though it would have been good to ship everything, but glad we didn't as it just wouldn't have gone - ultra modern beach house to a rural cottage.

Best of luck

if you are leaving reluctantly because of your work situation in perth you should consider a move to the east coast of oz as others already suggested. there is a lot of construction work over on this side of oz. everything from housing to big commercial projects. my husband builds houses & he has a waiting list of clients so long he has decided not to be accepting any new work for the rest of this year till he can catch up a bit. even though his business is based on nsw south coast he is getting a lot of enquiry from as far away as sydney & canberra with people trying to get projects underway.

anyway good luck whatever you decide to do.

We made the decision as a family, got an empty container delivered, sold the house and booked our tickets. It was all very straightforward when we got here, schools, doctor, banks etc all very easy.

Hi Bristolman, did you book a self pack container? If so how did you find that? We want to ship most of our stuff back and wanted to do the self pack container option as its cheaper. Can I ask who did you use?

Construction very busy in Sydney, all sectors. Massive transport infrastructure going in (2 stages of Metro system, 3rd just announced, will keep going for another 10+ years, total of about $30bn; light rail in CBD and shortly Parramatta, total of about $5bn; $3bn M1/M2 link half way through, $16bn Westconnex motorway 25% in, M12/airport link roads kick off next year; New airport kicking off next year), plus tons of commercial (Barangaroo just finishing, White Bay in planning, Metro OSDs being auctioned off this year) and resi (everywhere, high rise all over CBD and inner city, Parramatta and along Metro; big low rise developments around newly built North West & South West railways) plus all the usual domestic market. Also 2 new hospitals under construction and a few schools

It's sucking in resources and therefore making the market healthier in outlying regions as well, as far down as Canberra and up to Newcastle, as per Booma's post.

We are heading out of Perth next month - permanently. A friend of mine in construction has scored a job in Sydney...seems like a lot of people are heading East for construction jobs.

Cant advise on your move back ...but , I was with a structural engineer yesterday ....he was in a rush ...in the process of sorting out a £40 million project ....his firm are rammed out with work ...best of luck

It is very busy for construction in the UK. To the extent the trade bodies are on the news regularly complaining of skills shortages.

Lets hope the Brexit government and industry do the right thing by our youngsters then, providing them with the education, apprenticeships and training to meet the surge in demand, much like they did in the old days.