Getting to Australia NEWBIE

MattD111

Hi all

This is my first post so please take it easy on me, I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I'm currently in Perth for the next ten days this being my second visit whilst it's my wife's and 4-year old daughters first time. I fell in love with the place 4 years ago and have wanted to move ever since now I've brought my wife and daughter here on holiday and they're sold on the place as well.

I'm currently in my second year of my degree in Physical Education and School Sport (which I've been told by an Aussie over here won't get me a visa). When I left school I did two years at college doing carpentry and joinery then went on to spend five years as a coachbuilder (Building trailers for HGV vehicles).

My wife works as a nursery assistant and has a level 3 certificate in childcare.

I'm unsure as to whether I should go through the application as a coachbuilder or PE teacher. We've even considered visiting child care centres around the area and dropping in letters asking for a job opportunity/placement for my wife even though I'm very sure it's not as simple as that.

I understand this is a very broad post and I need to research more into the visa process but thought I'd come on here for some pointers and advice on routes to take etc. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Just in case it helps our ages are: Myself 26, Wife 24 and daughter 4.

I am pretty sure you need recent experience of the trade you use, so you may not be able to fall back on things you did a few years ago if you have worked in another trade for a while since.

Im no visa expert but would your wife's qualification not do? you would need to check the immigration website and see whats on the occupation lists.

Good luck with all, Australia can be a great place to live.

Cal x

My wife's occupation is on the list but it says she'd need a university degree which isn't needed in the UK, instead she's got a level 3 Diploma in childcare and education from college. i left my construction job around 4 years ago now so yes I assume you're right I wouldn't be able to use that.

Thank you for your help

Matt

Hi Ben I have a level 3 Diploma in Carpentry & Joinery from around 8 years ago and i have a BTEC in Sport and Exercise Science, they're my college qualifications.

I'm currently in my second year of doing a Bachelors Degree in Physical Education and School Sport.

Thanks

Matt

If you want to be a PE teacher then your degree will need to be 4 years University based. I wouldn't think a child care cert would be enough to get you a visa but until you look at the lists to see if you meet the requirements for any of the occupations in demand them all else is irrelevant. Then, once you have a visa your next problem is going to be getting a job - teachers are well oversubscribed with many young locally trained teachers being unable to find work - not in places that people actually want to live. So if teaching is your passion it may not be easy to get a good career going. Falling in love with a place on holiday is one thing, getting to live there another whole ball game unfortunately. Much as you might like to just stay there this looks like a much longer term project.

Looking at what you've described for your teaching training - is it teacher training at a Uni with pedagogy, lesson planning, practicum placements etc etc because if it's not, that won't get you a visa

Edited by Quoll

Hi Quoll yes I completely understand it's going to be a long-term project unfortunately but I want to try to get everything in place for when I finish my degree in two years.

Looks like the best starting point is to look into my wife's area of work and see if she can do any courses/qualifications that improve our chances of getting granted a visa. I've just been sat around the pool reading the newspaper and its reported that the demand for childcare in WA is rising rapidly so that could work in our favour.

Thank you for your help, I was nervous about posting in here but you all seem like a good bunch :)

Matt

The only option for PR for your wife is as a Child Care Manager, getting a degree in itself would not be sufficient.

Does your course lead to qualified teacher status in the UK? And as others have said is it a 4 year course? There are 'teaching' threads on here so do a search as there will be a lot of helpful information.

It may be possible for your wife to get sponsorship but this would not give you permanent residency just a 4 year temporary work visa (457), it really depends on your attitude to risk and with a 4 year old, probably 6/7 before you moved to then move back at 10/11 is something you would need to seriously think about. There are a lot of other downsides to a 457 for families too - school fees ($4k in WA), no family benefits (e.g. Child care rebate which pays 50% of child care costs) & 60 days notice to leave when sponsorship ends plus your wife could end up stuck in a job she hates.

BUT perhaps blended with you finishing your degree & gaining experience as a teacher it may be possible.

I think you are advised to contact a migration agent as it may even be an option to take time out of your degree go back to carpentry for 12 months, get PR and finish your degree in Perth - which would make registering as a teacher in WA easier I expect.

Newly qualified teachers do sometimes have difficulty gaining employment - I'm not sure if it is still the case but at one time you had to work rural first.

Hi Lady Rainicorn my course is three years i then need to apply for a 1 year PGCE course (to gain my teacher status) so if i'm accepted onto that then yes i'll have done four years and be a completely qualified teacher.

Thanks for the information regarding the temporary work visa (457) I wouldn't want to risk having to move back after four years.

i'll contact a migration agent and see what is the best option. Thanks for your help

Hi Lady Rainicorn my course is three years i then need to apply for a 1 year PGCE course (to gain my teacher status) so if i'm accepted onto that then yes i'll have done four years and be a completely qualified teacher.

Thanks for the information regarding the temporary work visa (457) I wouldn't want to risk having to move back after four years.

i'll contact a migration agent and see what is the best option. Thanks for your help

It sounds then with some patience & a bit of luck you would be able to apply for a permanent residency visa (189) - I say a bit of luck as to apply for this visa your occupation needs to be on the SOL - it currently is but the list changes & should it be deemed that there is no longer a shortage of teachers then they could easily remove it from the list & it is possible this could happen in the next couple of years, there is really no way of knowing. Occupations do get flagged for removal & Secondary school teacher was on this list for July 2016 but was not removed.

http://deltaimmigration.com.au/australian-immigration-news/2015/8/Flagged-Occupations-Occupations-may-be-removed-from-SOL-list-in-July-2016.htm

I would go to the 'Ask an Agent' section of the forum and get an expert opinion on this.

There is a regional sponsorship list and child care group leader is on there so this could be a option, also you only need to have the level 3 diploma. You need to find a employer who is willing to sponsor your wife in a area that's classed as regional, which WA is. The conditions are that you must stay working for the employer for 2 years but it is a permanent resident visa. This is the route I'm looking to go down towards the end of this year

There is a regional sponsorship list and child care group leader is on there so this could be a option, also you only need to have the level 3 diploma. You need to find a employer who is willing to sponsor your wife in a area that's classed as regional, which WA is. The conditions are that you must stay working for the employer for 2 years but it is a permanent resident visa. This is the route I'm looking to go down towards the end of this year

If this is the 187 visa I can only see Child Care Manager on the WA list - http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-wa/occupations-in-demand

Given the OP is a nursery assistant even if they were willing to live in Woop Woop it is a very unlikely path.

Certainly here in SA newly qualified teachers are expected to do their time in the wilderness. No one from last years graduates got a job in a metropolitan area or even close according to my friends son who is currently in his first post 3 hours up country in a small town with very few amenities. Same for paramedics and probably others but have no experience with other professions.

Personally I think the kids in the country towns get a raw deal out of it but I guess maybe they wouldn't get anyone to work there otherwise. Some do it and never leave, loving the lifestyle but it certainly isn't for everyone.

Living in a small country town in Australia is NOT like village life in the U.K.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things at the moment. A PGCE with a university transcript is a must, you will need to check this as not all PGCEs do this as standard funnily enough. You don't need teaching experience to gain a visa and in WA there are many schools which are now IPS and therefore can select their own teachers without you having to go out into the country. I didn't and I've been here 14 months and worked throughout. The key to it is when you arrive get seen and do relief work by sending in your resume to schools personally.

Childcare group leader is on the Regional Sponsorship Migration List I have spoken to varios migration agents who have confirmed this. I also know someone who has recently been sponsored as a childcare group leader on the 187 visa.

Here is a article I found that may be of interest:

16 July 2015 | RSMS, Visa Update, Work Visas | The Migration Place

[h=2]CHILD CARE GROUP LEADERS NEEDED IN REGIONAL AUSTRALIA[/h]Australia’s child care situation is becoming bleak, with places for kids very difficult to find. This is especially the case in regional Australia, where the demand for child care centres far outweighs the places available.

Since 1 July 2015, Child Care Group Leaders are back on the list for the RSMS Visa in the Direct Entry stream. Essentially, this means that you may be eligible for permanent residency straight away if you can find an employer located in regional Australia.

Many people think that to get the RSMS Visa, they need to find an employer smack-bang in the middle of the outback, but this is just a common myth. Regional Australia actually covers the majority of Australia, minus the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.

If you have a qualification at the level of an Australian Certificate II or III in Childcare, or at least one year of relevant work experience, then this could be the visa solution for you.

No Comment

Childcare group leader is on the Regional Sponsorship Migration List I have spoken to varios migration agents who have confirmed this. I also know someone who has recently been sponsored as a childcare group leader on the 187 visa.

Here is a article I found that may be of interest:

16 July 2015 | RSMS, Visa Update, Work Visas | The Migration Place

CHILD CARE GROUP LEADERS NEEDED IN REGIONAL AUSTRALIA

Australia’s child care situation is becoming bleak, with places for kids very difficult to find. This is especially the case in regional Australia, where the demand for child care centres far outweighs the places available.

Since 1 July 2015, Child Care Group Leaders are back on the list for the RSMS Visa in the Direct Entry stream. Essentially, this means that you may be eligible for permanent residency straight away if you can find an employer located in regional Australia.

Many people think that to get the RSMS Visa, they need to find an employer smack-bang in the middle of the outback, but this is just a common myth. Regional Australia actually covers the majority of Australia, minus the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.

If you have a qualification at the level of an Australian Certificate II or III in Childcare, or at least one year of relevant work experience, then this could be the visa solution for you.

No Comment

I know you've mentioned it before, I've had half an eye on it as my niece works in childcare. I'd be interested tonow though if anyone has actually managed to get an employer to sponsor them on it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry I know its like a delayed reaction posting on this thread but I am due to complete my PGCE this year and hope to make it out to WA based on it. When I saw the comment about its possible removal from the list I did some research. It was flagged for potential removal for 2016 but it wasn't and a new list has been released since then showing potential removals for 2017 and Secondary teaching is not on. Phew