Money!

woody123

We too migrated to Perth only a month back and below the was some of our initial expenses capital + rent for 3 months

1 rent - 4500

2 furniture and kitchen- 3000

3 mobile - 80 monthly

4 internet- 60 monthly

5 car 6000

6 food 1500 monthly

7 fuel 200 monthly

Except kids expenses. ( no kids for us)

Fantastic furniture has a good collection and good guys for kitchen appliances

Mobile s we used Vodafone and internet belong.

It's better to keep some money in a savings account otherwise without knowing you may have send all you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you abey1 for your reply.

Do you have any info on car insurance etc...just a rough guide would be fab.

How are you settling in, it's all still very new for you guys?

Many thanks

and this is what we did.

25k was all we had, and we burnt through most of it pretty quickly, but $9k and $6k for 2 cars, rent $2k per month and the rest on 'stuff'. I was earning straight away so the impact wasnt as bad as it could have been.

Thank you so much for the info.

Thank you abey1 for your reply.

Do you have any info on car insurance etc...just a rough guide would be fab.

How are you settling in, it's all still very new for you guys?

Many thanks

We insured the car from Toyota. And the insurance cost is based on the car value, where u live and your age. You can pay it in installments. Also we got a road side assistants as well. It was about $70 pa. But not sure how it is in other states..

Everything is settled now except for jobs [emoji51]. Still looking out!

Hope your move goes smoothly!

Migration just eats money in the first 3-6 months. All of those bills in the UK staggered over the year come at once. Vehicle insurances and car rego are biggies too. Plus stocking your kitchen from scratch costs more than you think especially if you need to purchase utensils.

If you have family to aid you through some of this that will be a big help but I agree with the above. Expect to need $50-$60k.

Many thanks for the advice.

Have a look at the areas in the Gold Coast you fancy and get an idea of weekly rent, id guess around $525 pr week average but realestate.com will give you a better idea. You normally have to pay 4 weeks as a bond so add that on top.

You will also be responsible for contents insurance but the landlord pays building insurance and rates so dont worry about that.

Have a look on Gumtree for vehicles, you can pick up a half decent car for $3000/ $4000, vans arent as popular, utes will be cheaper. You can upgrade later when settled. Remember you pay a % of the purchase price when you swap registration to your name, so budget for that too.

If it comes to it and funds are low, just get your Aussie licence for one year, its way cheaper. When it needs renewing next year ,if funds are better ,renew for 5 years.

What visa will you be on ? If it is PR you should be entitled to family assistance, they helps lots whilst finding your feet and will cover uniform costs etc. Not sure if the school kid bonus is still going but if it is that another few hundred PER CHILD, to help you get sorted.

You can have a big wad of cash and it will certainly make the transition easier but it was only a few years ago i recall a family with a thousand GBP moving over and they did fine , at the end of the day ,you manage with what you have available.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Hi

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

We have visa subclass 176 so yes we have PR. I will look into Family Assistance as have never heard of this...every little helps.

Cheers

Woody

We insured the car from Toyota. And the insurance cost is based on the car value, where u live and your age. You can pay it in installments. Also we got a road side assistants as well. It was about $70 pa. But not sure how it is in other states..

Everything is settled now except for jobs [emoji51]. Still looking out!

Hope your move goes smoothly!

Good that it can be paid with instalments when starting out.

Really hope you find a job soon.

Thanks very much.

Thanks Beaty for the info....it's fab!

Can I ask if you receive family assistance for the children? I think this is only if you're PR?

How old are you're 3 kids? Have they settled in ok?

Our 8 year old Son doesn't want to come to Oz and Im worried sick about his reaction when we tell him we are definitely making the move. He has known for a few years that it was a possibility & always says he will stay here with his Nan (This isn't an option).

How are you finding Melbourne?

Hi Woody,

Sorry, we're not leaving until October.

All of the figures are based on fairly good local research.

Our kids are: 7 (G), 5 (G) and 4 (B).

No offence, but I'm surprised you're giving your 8 year old that choice (to stay or go)!

I'm looking forward to Melbourne Woody, let's see what happens over there :)

B

Totting up the numbers, it looks like we have burned our way through ~ AUD $40k for the first three months.

This includes shipping from the UK, but for the purposes of this it excludes our car - we had saved up before and bought new.

We were luck that although I didn't have work confirmed I was offered a contract the day we landed, so have kept our heads above water otherwise we would have burned through savings.

Best of luck!

Hi guys

We are much older than you, but are hoping to move over to Australia eventually to join our daughter. We currently doing some fact finding and wonder if anyone can tell us:-

Is there a period of grace when you can drive around on your British driving license and if so, how long is it before you have to get an Aussie license?

What do people do about references for property rentals?

What sort of time lapse would there be between agreeing to rent a property and getting the key?

thanks in advance for any replies, this is a really helpful thread!

Is there a period of grace when you can drive around on your British driving license and if so, how long is it before you have to get an Aussie license? Yes, it might vary from State to State, it'll be a few months, maybe up to a year I'd guess.

What do people do about references for property rentals? I've used references from previous rentals and employers, the real estate have never bothered to check them!!

What sort of time lapse would there be between agreeing to rent a property and getting the key? a few days if its empty.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We arrived from UK in September 2016. We stayed with friends on the Gold Coast for 7 weeks. We brought £10k and with that bought my wife's car (2011 Hyundai 120 ($7.1K)), sorted new mobile phones each, sorted driving licences and enjoyed the first few weeks with our 7 and 4 year old, albeit we were careful. We decided to settle on the Sunshine Coast after looking around north and south of Brisbane. We transferred another £10K over 2 months later for bond money for rental ($2k), first few weeks rental, school uniforms etc, my car (4X4 Nissan Patrol ($9K) and by this time I'd had a job for a couple of weeks. We've been careful with money until my wife managed to get some work last month. We will transfer the rest if/when needed for a deposit on a house. Hope that helps

PS. we also paid a full years worth of car insurance for both vehicles with this money too. So in a nutshell, £20k plus a couple of months work sufficed.

Edited by JazzyJeff
mised something po

Hi,

We arrived from UK in September 2016. We stayed with friends on the Gold Coast for 7 weeks. We brought £10k and with that bought my wife's car (2011 Hyundai 120 ($7.1K)), paid years insurance, sorted new mobile phones each, sorted driving licences and enjoyed the first few weeks with our 7 and 4 year old, albeit we were careful. We decided to settle on the Sunshine Coast after looking around north and south of Brisbane. We transferred another £10K over 2 months later for bond money for rental ($2k), first few weeks rental, school uniforms etc, my car (4X4 Nissan Patrol ($9K plus insurance) and by this time I'd had a job for a couple of weeks. We've been careful with money until my wife managed to get some work last month. We will transfer the rest if/when needed for a deposit on a house. Hope that helps