Warren Evans and White Company equivalents

baggo

Hi all

We'll be arriving in Sydney in a few months. Looking for some advice on homemaking.

Any tips on good quality online/physical store for bedding/robes/towels etc?

Any advice on good quality bed store similar to Warren Evans (i.e. made in Australia, good quality, good rep).

Thanks!

b

TBH bedding and towels are IMHO overpriced here for the good quality stuff. You can buy the high end brands in the usual suspect department stores like Myer, David Jones and the like (for example Sheridan is a pricey brand but I'd not pay almost $400 for a set of queen sized sheets thats for sure). Those stores sell towels, robes etc too. You can also pick up some decent stuff in Harris Scarfe if you do a bit of digging on the shelves. We got Egyptian cotton fitted sheets with a great thread count for a knock down price a while back.

Store wise outside of the department stores I've mentioned, here in our part of Aus at least we have Adairs, Bed Bath and Table and one or two others and again, they'll sell the stuff you are after.

If you are shipping your bed and duvet then I'd buy a couple of extra sets in neutral colours and bring them with you. I don't generally buy bedding or towels here in Aus. I order them from the UK and get them shipped and also bought extra sets before we left that are still going strong. Or when I do buy here I wait till the sales are on and then go get what I want at a big chunk off the full price.

We've found that the Sheridan brand duvet covers we've had have shrunk a bit after washing, meaning that they don't fit the duvet any more. The best sheets/duvet covers we've found are from http://www.myhouse.com.au. We like the St. Regis ones, but they are expensive so I always wait until they are on sale. They're lovely quality. We bought some bedding for the kids from there too, and they wash really well.

Sheridan are supposed to be a premium brand here but I've always found them to be pretty ordinary and very over-priced.

I really like the Cotton House brand. The Sheridan sales girl originally put me on to them - said the quality was better for a cheaper price.

Every Cotton House item I ever bought has washed and lasted well and can usually be bought heavily discounted from DJs during sale times (which is practically every day).

Sheridan are supposed to be a premium brand here but I've always found them to be pretty ordinary and very over-priced.

Sheridan used to be a premium brand (until approx. mid 1990s IIRC - about the time they were taken over by their current parent company and manufacturing shifted offshore.) It's that old story of a brand trying to trade on a quality past which is no more.