+ Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      8838 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn View Post
      I think it is 'who you know', although in my job (IT) they are looking for people who have experience in specific industries and that obviously varies depending where you live & yet it makes no difference to what I do at all - software is software, just like CaptainR says a ship is a ship!

I don't really know the purpose of my post, just really that 'local knowledge' is not an Australia only thing & whichever direction you are heading getting that first job can be difficult but once you do then it gets a lot easier.

But an interview is a bit like a beauty contest.

If you are competing against other candidates who have worked at Australian banks and you have only worked at overseas banks it seems less risky to the interviewer to hire the person who has the local experience.

That is not to say you couldn't do the job. But you are a bit different to the norm.
      And that can sound risky, particularly if the interviewer has never worked overseas themselves.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2088 times
      Rep
      Anyone who doesn't want to employ you because you don't have local knowledge is probably not someone you want to work for anyway. If they can't recognise that people have transferable skills and understand what those skills are and how they can be used then what are they going to be like to work for? I also think the local knowledge thing is often a bit of an excuse to employee someone you already have in mind and have seen it in action several times.
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
      Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Unregistered
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      Anyone who doesn't want to employ you because you don't have local knowledge is probably not someone you want to work for anyway. If they can't recognise that people have transferable skills and understand what those skills are and how they can be used then what are they going to be like to work for? I also think the local knowledge thing is often a bit of an excuse to employee someone you already have in mind and have seen it in action several times.
      Which , in a word is the problem with parochial places like adelaide, they will never break the mediocre narrowness and sub standard performance of the place, because they never give new experienced and brilliant people a chance, better stick with Brett or Scott or Hamish from that school on dequetteville terrace. pity, such resource squandered.

And if they do give creative , innovative , just and people of integrity a chance, these poor unfortunates are then plunged into a pool of cronyism , mediocrity, lassie faire and sub standard performance which is to be absolutely brutal about it, killing SA, it's like a disease. if you have integrity, you simply can't last in this environment.

Such resource squandered, and SA now has stigma.

Hard to shake that, whichever way you look at it, hard to shake. Rest of Australia has been saying this about SA for years.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      591 times
      Rep
      In my field of engineering geology / geotechnical engineering it's highly relevant: the difference in soil reactivity across Australia is massive, not knowing what the local soils are like will either cost your client money or end up with you being sued for wrong classification. When I was working in the UK I'd never heard of an acid sulfate soil, never had to deal with collapsible soils, never had to have an understanding of risk management under mining legislation, never dealt with analysis of tropical weathering...

It's all stuff we would teach a graduate, but if I came into the job in my present Principal classification, I could not have hit the ground running at all and would have cost *a lot* of money playing catch-up. So I would tend to say the more senior you are (in my field, at least), the more important local knowledge is as your charge-out rate is too high to fanny around for extended periods of time, learning.

•