Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stay or go

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4376 times
      Rep
      I guess if I was going to Australia to experience something different I would head to the North because that is such a contrast with London. Cairns or even Darwin or at the very least Brisbane. The Sunshine Coast? Get away from the continental style big cities of Melb and Sydney.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Brisbane also coming booming big city. To many construction, at least 100 building construction now. but no traffic jam except few high way.
      It is the 3rd largest city in Australia....

Quote Originally Posted by starlight7 View Post
      I guess if I was going to Australia to experience something different I would head to the North because that is such a contrast with London. Cairns or even Darwin or at the very least Brisbane. The Sunshine Coast? Get away from the continental style big cities of Melb and Sydney.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by blondie View Post
      "I think there's got to be something more to life than working, paying taxes and bills and then dying"

Kurt, you will work, pay taxes and bills and die regardless of where you live. How you fill in the time in between is the essence of life and with whom.
      I am not saying go or stay, what I am saying is consider carefully what your real reasons are for this move. My experience is that, generally, ex pats fall into two groups, ones running away from their past and the second group are out for an adventure.
      i thought I was looking for an adventure in 2007 when we left for Sydney but soon understood that actually I had been bored at home with work, marriage and 3 children .. it was all work and little play.
      A couple of years in Sydney, working, looking after children, juggling just 4 weeks annual leave in order to fly home to see parents was my wake-up call but I had my 'adventure' ... was it worth it ? Yes and no.

You had a nice distraction from your problems for two years and probably some good stories to tell to your kids and grandkids. Would you have regretted staying in the UK and not going?

Title
      Liked
      50 times
      Rep
      Who knows ... People say hindsight is a great thing. Personally I think it's something to crucify yourself with. We stayed seven years in the end. I enjoyed the first two, then downhill after that. We only went on a temporary basis. The pros were we saw some amazing places, opened our minds to a more cosmopolitan lifestyle, learned to love sushi !!, met some lovely people,
      The cons were inadequate education system for our dyslexic son, shallow image obsessed culture in Sydney, healthcare system that is a money making business, eye wateringly expensive houses, grotty rentals, obsession with wealth and owning at least one rental property, mozzie bites every time I went out in the evening, every time, having to cover my skin in chemicals to stop being burnt or bitten. Freezing houses in the middle of winter.
      the cost to our family has been huge, we all came back with the exception of our youngest daughter who stayed in Queensland, I miss her beyond words and feel incomplete without her here, my relationship with my own mother has deteriorated but not for obvious reasons, since our return and our marriage took a real hammering as he ended up loving it and wanting to stay and I never did. So on a good day here I say ... Yeah it was worth it, but on a bad day I wish we had never bothered leaving uk.
      Thats as honest a reply as I can make it ��

Title
      Moving from Ireland to Melbourne (in late 2017)
      Liked
      101 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by blondie View Post
      Who knows ... People say hindsight is a great thing. Personally I think it's something to crucify yourself with. We stayed seven years in the end. I enjoyed the first two, then downhill after that. We only went on a temporary basis. The pros were we saw some amazing places, opened our minds to a more cosmopolitan lifestyle, learned to love sushi !!, met some lovely people,
      The cons were inadequate education system for our dyslexic son, shallow image obsessed culture in Sydney, healthcare system that is a money making business, eye wateringly expensive houses, grotty rentals, obsession with wealth and owning at least one rental property, mozzie bites every time I went out in the evening, every time, having to cover my skin in chemicals to stop being burnt or bitten. Freezing houses in the middle of winter.
      the cost to our family has been huge, we all came back with the exception of our youngest daughter who stayed in Queensland, I miss her beyond words and feel incomplete without her here, my relationship with my own mother has deteriorated but not for obvious reasons, since our return and our marriage took a real hammering as he ended up loving it and wanting to stay and I never did. So on a good day here I say ... Yeah it was worth it, but on a bad day I wish we had never bothered leaving uk.
      Thats as honest a reply as I can make it ��
      Migration is never easy. Sorry to hear of the complications.

B
      190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | Recce to Mellie August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16....getting there....

Title
      Liked
      642 times
      Rep
      go for it, when your 70 you will regret not giving it a go if you dont
      Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
      Arriving in Oz Sept 2012 !!!!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thank you all for your great responses and the additional insights you have provided!

I haven't, as of yet, made a decision. There are days I'm really keen and looking forward to going but other days I'm thinking that perhaps I should stay and get on the property ladder here, which I think it's high time I finally did. Also, more holiday destinations are readily accessible from the UK and I can also visit my hometown often to see my family. My dad is generally in good health and I'm hoping he'll be around for at least another 10 years and it would pain me to see him only 3 or 4 more times during his remaining lifespan.

On the other hand I'm single with no significant possessions in the UK and have work skills that are in demand. In that regard, I'm ideally placed to make the move and I really don't want to get older and regret not going. I'm in need of good weather which I think makes people happier, more friendly and pleasant and I can see myself making a good life for myself there. I have some reservations that at 40 I may have to start from the bottom (low-paid work and a flatshare with 5 strangers) but I think I can ride the storm until I get established.

Anyway, I'm meeting a couple of friends later this week who are both expats in London like me and when I met them a few months ago they were encouraging me to go. I'll talk to them about it again.

•  
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345