Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stay or go

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
      elderberry: Good luck with everything; as we're moving past the festive season the market will pick up.
      Thanks Kurt, I knew it was a bad time of year to arrive, I expect it to be quiet until Australia Day. Good thing having no ties is I'm able to apply for jobs anywhere in Australia. I wouldnt dismiss the likes of Perth and Brisbane - they may be less opportunities, but there are also less people seeking them. Melbourne (where I am at the minute) is seeing mass migration in from Perth, but that adds to the competition for rentals and jobs.

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11!!!

Title
      Liked
      32 times
      Rep
      Melbourne is a big city (4m people) and has many HQ's of Australian and international companies so don't rule it out. As a gut feel, Melbourne probably has 40%, Sydney 50% and the other 10% in the other capitals (just a gut feel). HQ of 2 of the big 4 banks and 3 of the 4 large health insurers are in Melbourne as an example.

Big Greek population in Melbourne too and a reasonable sized one in Sydney. You may move to Australia and meet a nice Greek girl and settle down :) That would make your Dad happy. Better nightlife in Melbourne (thanks to Sydney's lockout laws)

Shorter trip from Greece to Aus, only 5 hours to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha and then 11 (Perth), to 14 hours to Aus.

Let us know what you decide and how you go.

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
      Melbourne is a big city (4m people) and has many HQ's of Australian and international companies so don't rule it out. As a gut feel, Melbourne probably has 40%, Sydney 50% and the other 10% in the other capitals (just a gut feel). HQ of 2 of the big 4 banks and 3 of the 4 large health insurers are in Melbourne as an example.

Big Greek population in Melbourne too and a reasonable sized one in Sydney. You may move to Australia and meet a nice Greek girl and settle down :) That would make your Dad happy. Better nightlife in Melbourne (thanks to Sydney's lockout laws)

Shorter trip from Greece to Aus, only 5 hours to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha and then 11 (Perth), to 14 hours to Aus.

Let us know what you decide and how you go.
      This is true but Melbourne also feels more like London than Perth, Brisbane or the Gold Coast. If you are looking for a change of lifestyle, not sure Melbourne or Sydney offers that. Certainly as a forty something, I appreciate the charms of less big cities. Melbourne is not the city I knew 25 years ago and boy it gets cold at times!
      IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11!!!

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      130 times
      Rep
      I moved to Melbourne almost exactly two years ago from London. My situation was similar to Kurt's, except a couple of years older (42 then, 44 now), I was working as a contractor, and I'm not Greek.

I made the move for a couple of reasons: I was in a rut, as London's property market made it increasingly difficult to think about buying a place of my own. I had a visa which I'd have lost if I had waited another month to arrive, and it would have been a waste not to use it. And my father urged me to take the opportunity.

I don't know if I'll stay long term, but I'll be apply for citizenship in 2018, so I'm planning on sticking around until then. For me, a lot hangs on what happens with Brexit, as I'd prefer to be on the Continent than in the UK, and that might get difficult in 2019. But I don't think that I'm going to be any worse off for being over here for a couple of years.

At risk of being labelled a remoaner, I think that there's also a chance that the UK could have a negative shock from Brexit. There's already talk of banks and other companies making plans to relocate.

Comparing earnings and costs at 1 to $2 (and it's around $1.70 now), I think that salaries might be slightly higher, and contract rates slightly lower. There's not a huge difference between Sydney and Melbourne.

Accommodation is a lot more in Sydney. I'd put the price of housing at a roughly similar level to London. Melbourne's about a third less, rents are maybe a bit lower again, largely because there's been a massive oversupply of apartments in the inner suburbs. Bear in mind that you'll probably need to purchase a washing machine and fridge, as most rentals don't include them.

Prices of other goods and services vary. Some are similar to the UK, others can be twice as much.

If you've got nice furniture, then it's worth shipping. A Large MoveCube is around 1100 all in, and will swallow most of the contents of a one bedroom apartment.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Well, doncha know the country has had enough of experts?

It's becoming increasingly difficult to afford a deposit to buy a place in any of the areas of London I like, but aren't properties in Melbourne and Sydney too getting out of the regular folk's reach?

At least your father urged you to go. Mine has a real problem with it and he's very disheartening. My brother, on the other hand, is like "I'd rather that you were closer but if this is what you want just go for it".

I've been thinking about the career break, as well. What exactly is this? Do you ask your employer to take an unpaid year off and have a non-binding agreement that your job may be available when you get back?

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      187 times
      Rep
      I thought it was an assured job to come back to. If you choose to stay you'd have to formally resign.
      AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by benj1980 View Post
      I thought it was an assured job to come back to. If you choose to stay you'd have to formally resign.
      My company offers a careers break where you can leave for a year or more, and they won't keep your exact job open, but they will take you back and attempt to relocate you when you return. A guy did it and returned no problem when their wife died. Few have gone travelling and not come back.

Title
      Liked
      100 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
      It's becoming increasingly difficult to afford a deposit to buy a place in any of the areas of London I like, but aren't properties in Melbourne and Sydney too getting out of the regular folk's reach?
      Yep, the same applies to both cities. If you are struggling to buy in London, then you will struggle here(Melbourne and Sydney). Due to the way house buying works here, Auction market you really have no idea of what the property is actually valued at. The real estate agent will give you a rough guide, but in reality the owner will be wanting more. Auctions these days are driven by local and foreign investors with first time buyers not able to keep up and have a set price limit. Where as the investors have deeper pockets.

Two properties on my block went for 200 to 300k over the initial asking price bid.

Title
      Liked
      78 times
      Rep
      I'm in a similar position as you, sadly however I do not have a skill on the SOL or CSOL lists so it's unlikely I'll ever be able to get a suitable visa to give me the opportunity to make a move over to Australia. If I did however (like you), I'd be on the next flight out - give it a shot, you only live once!

Title
      Liked
      50 times
      Rep
      "I think there's got to be something more to life than working, paying taxes and bills and then dying"

Kurt, you will work, pay taxes and bills and die regardless of where you live. How you fill in the time in between is the essence of life and with whom.
      I am not saying go or stay, what I am saying is consider carefully what your real reasons are for this move. My experience is that, generally, ex pats fall into two groups, ones running away from their past and the second group are out for an adventure.
      i thought I was looking for an adventure in 2007 when we left for Sydney but soon understood that actually I had been bored at home with work, marriage and 3 children .. it was all work and little play.
      A couple of years in Sydney, working, looking after children, juggling just 4 weeks annual leave in order to fly home to see parents was my wake-up call but I had my 'adventure' ... was it worth it ? Yes and no.

•  
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast