Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 47

    Thread: Stay or go


    1. #21

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      140
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
      Oh, one other thing you could do is to set your Dad up on skype and teach him how to use it. You can skype him from London to get him used to it and then skype him from Aus. Once you're set up he could come over and visit you.

      My parents learned to skype in their 70s to see their granddaughter and have travelled over twice in recent years (3 times for my Mum).

      My phone contract in Aus includes 300 minutes of international calls per month and regularly call my family and mates in Ireland, the same as I'd call a local mate, just have to watch the time difference :)
      My mobile includes 100 mins per month international which is great. Also you can consider VOIP Phones assuming you have internet access when set up over here - then have an account with the likes of Sipgate with a UK local number, pay 9.95 per month and you can call as if you are in the UK unlimited, and they can call you free of charge too if they have 60 minute plans :) You can still have an australian local number too of course if you wish.

      IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11!!!

    2. #22

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      223
      Liked
      100 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      it's always annoyed me that my parents relatives, and my own brothers and sisters haven't set up cheap international calls. Costs peanuts nowadays, and Skype is free. Not a big fan of Skype but my kids use it to talk with their cousins.
      Haha so agree, Skype, google hangouts, whatsapp, facetime etc.


      As long as you have a smartphone and a decide plan(in case you are not at home for a quick chat).
      Wifi and a decent broadband connection will suffice at home.


      I find Whatsapp and hangouts excellent voice quality. Dropped using Viber as was painful to move chats to different platforms.


      Video is still very dependant on your ISP, Skype etc can be great one day and not so good another day. But hey its free, take the bad with the good.


      I suppose the older generation find it harder to transition. My mum in her 70's is all good with it, sometimes to good. But my Dad will not touch the stuff.

    3. #23

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Posts
      10
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Why not give it a go, life is short and you can always go back if you don't like it. It is hard doing this alone. I don't have any family or partner and I'm the wrong side of forty. But I didn't want to regret not giving it a go. Probably made a bit of a mistake going rural but I can always move to the coast later on.

      Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

    4. #24

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      London, UK
      Posts
      15
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      My dad is pretty savvy with Skype/Viber/Facetime etc. This is what helps us keep contact while he lives in Greece and me, in the UK. It'll be the the same in Australia with the advantage that our time zones will be a couple of hours closer than the UK.

      True; my flat is rented and I'm going to vacate it in a few months anyway.

      It's also true that what suits you won't suit others. I know fellow Greeks who have been here for as long as I have if not longer and wouldn't think of living anywhere else. But, me, I decided it's no longer for me. Dublin certainly sounds like a good place for software professionals. If I were to return to the UK I'd move to Edinburgh or Bristol; smaller towns with tech activity. However we don't know what's gonna happen with the Brexit and Ireland has expressed interest in the UK tech pie when it brexits anyway.

      At 40 I'd say I can't count myself as 'young' anymore but, isn't it true that 40 is the new 30? :)

      I'd eventually like to buy a flat while my age still allows to get a mortgage and pay it back and this could set me back by a few thousand pounds. If there's one major thing I'm giving up it's this.

      The way I'm envisioning the move is to sell my furniture and some other expensive stuff and take a few suitcases with me so I don't think I'll need to use storage.

      I didn't use to see it as such a stark choice until my father attempted to talk me out of it; I have a feeling he won't stop even as I'll be saying goodbye to him at the airport. He thinks I'm running away from my problems and I can have a pretty good life in Europe but if he had his own way I'd now be married with a nice Greek girl having moved a few blocks down from where I grew up. This isn't what I wanted for myself; living someone else's idea of 'real' life; it's what I was thinking when I moved to the UK. I am running away from something: the idea of the 'proper' way of living my society has. In the next few months I'll be finding myself answering the same questions defensively but that's probably his way of processing this in his mind. I think he may worry that I'll find a nice Australian lady and stay there!

      I think there's got to be something more to life than working, paying taxes and bills and then dying.

    5. #25

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      London, UK
      Posts
      15
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      elderberry: Good luck with everything; as we're moving past the festive season the market will pick up.

    6. #26

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Scotland (west, north)
      Posts
      255
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobj View Post
      I like that, Ozzie.

      Cheers, Bobj.
      Thanks Bobj!
      Two professional people looking for a different view. Small child and fluffy pet in tow. Whits fur ye, nae git by ye

    7. #27

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Scotland (west, north)
      Posts
      255
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
      I think there's got to be something more to life than working, paying taxes and bills and then dying.
      Yes yes yes! Just take the first step (hardest) and go for it! Wish you all the best!
      Two professional people looking for a different view. Small child and fluffy pet in tow. Whits fur ye, nae git by ye

    8. #28

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      9,462
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
      My dad is pretty savvy with Skype/Viber/Facetime etc. This is what helps us keep contact while he lives in Greece and me, in the UK. It'll be the the same in Australia with the advantage that our time zones will be a couple of hours closer than the UK.

      True; my flat is rented and I'm going to vacate it in a few months anyway.

      It's also true that what suits you won't suit others. I know fellow Greeks who have been here for as long as I have if not longer and wouldn't think of living anywhere else. But, me, I decided it's no longer for me. Dublin certainly sounds like a good place for software professionals. If I were to return to the UK I'd move to Edinburgh or Bristol; smaller towns with tech activity. However we don't know what's gonna happen with the Brexit and Ireland has expressed interest in the UK tech pie when it brexits anyway.

      At 40 I'd say I can't count myself as 'young' anymore but, isn't it true that 40 is the new 30? :)

      I'd eventually like to buy a flat while my age still allows to get a mortgage and pay it back and this could set me back by a few thousand pounds. If there's one major thing I'm giving up it's this.

      The way I'm envisioning the move is to sell my furniture and some other expensive stuff and take a few suitcases with me so I don't think I'll need to use storage.

      I didn't use to see it as such a stark choice until my father attempted to talk me out of it; I have a feeling he won't stop even as I'll be saying goodbye to him at the airport. He thinks I'm running away from my problems and I can have a pretty good life in Europe but if he had his own way I'd now be married with a nice Greek girl having moved a few blocks down from where I grew up. This isn't what I wanted for myself; living someone else's idea of 'real' life; it's what I was thinking when I moved to the UK. I am running away from something: the idea of the 'proper' way of living my society has. In the next few months I'll be finding myself answering the same questions defensively but that's probably his way of processing this in his mind. I think he may worry that I'll find a nice Australian lady and stay there!

      I think there's got to be something more to life than working, paying taxes and bills and then dying.
      would you aim for Melbourne? Very high Greek population, but that may or may not be what you are looking for. Do you have any distant relatives there?

    9. #29

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      London, UK
      Posts
      15
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      would you aim for Melbourne? Very high Greek population, but that may or may not be what you are looking for. Do you have any distant relatives there?
      I would, although I'm not sure how it stacks up against Sydney with regard to software jobs.

      I have no relatives in Australia, just a couple of acquaintances I made when I traveled there as well as Australians here in London who intend to return.

    10. #30

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      9,462
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
      I would, although I'm not sure how it stacks up against Sydney with regard to software jobs.

      I have no relatives in Australia, just a couple of acquaintances I made when I traveled there as well as Australians here in London who intend to return.
      I've never worked on the east coast, but I would have thought Melbourne to be equal of Sydney for IT, with Brisbane a much smaller market. Canberra also has a lot of government work, but I don't think I could live there.

     

  •  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Stay where you are??
      By CockneyRebel in forum Moving Back To The UK
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 28-06-2012, 10:36 PM
    2. Help!!! Should I stay or Should I go???!!!
      By Francine in forum Migration Issues
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 13-03-2012, 12:25 PM
    3. Should we stay or should we go
      By Malcolminthemiddle in forum News, Chat & Dilemmas
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM
    4. should i stay or should i go to oz
      By malcthepom in forum News, Chat & Dilemmas
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 14-01-2012, 11:36 AM
    Copyright © 2005 - 2016 PomsInOz.com
    All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.