Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      465 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by blossom View Post
      I never needed to give my bank account details. I also paid at a dr before registering then took that receipt into Medicare and they gave me cash.
      All Medicare offices became cashless a couple of years ago so it's no longer possible to get a refund in cash from Medicare. I believe they can still post you a cheque - but depositing an Australian cheque into a foreign bank account is going to cost a lot in fees. I don't know if the cheques can be cashed at an Australian bank or not.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      11795 times
      Rep
      It is much easier doing it the bank way than when you took reciepts into the shop. I actually find my medicare rebate goes into my account before the Dr's fee is taken out which is weird but definately a prompt refund.

Cal x
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      187 times
      Rep
      My sister had an Australian bank account on her WHV that's only a temporary visa, I can't see why you couldn't open an account?
      AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Title
      Liked
      46 times
      Rep
      Just to clarify GeoffL. A Medical Centre is not government run or owned facility. They are essentially a private business who contract their services to the patient, in turn the federal government agrees to pay all (bulk billing) or part (the gap) of the health care cost IF the person has a Medicare card. The medical centre may offer other services, e.g. imaging (x-rays, etc), allied health, and even complimentary health services (naturopathy, etc). But it is still a private health marketing business.
      The reciprocal rights agreement ONLY gives you access to free emergent care, with the proviso I mentioned earlier, AT A PUBLIC ED.
      If a UK patient attends a public ED with suspected DVT. The ED component is free. If they require ongoing medication such as a LMWH and warfarin or NOAC they pay retail pharmacy noncompensible costs, ie. no PBS relief.
      Hope this clears up the minefield of Australian health care billing a little.
      Also beware of of ambulance costs. I gather billing for this changes by state. You could be out of pocket a lot of money if you or a concerned bystander for example call 000 on your behalf, and a helicopter responds, you could be approaching entering a 5 figure bill.
      All I can do is strongly advise that your health care covers all of these possibilities.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
      Chris
      FNQ, and loving it

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1810 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH1 View Post
      Just to clarify GeoffL. A Medical Centre is not government run or owned facility. They are essentially a private business who contract their services to the patient, in turn the federal government agrees to pay all (bulk billing) or part (the gap) of the health care cost IF the person has a Medicare card. The medical centre may offer other services, e.g. imaging (x-rays, etc), allied health, and even complimentary health services (naturopathy, etc). But it is still a private health marketing business.
      The reciprocal rights agreement ONLY gives you access to free emergent care, with the proviso I mentioned earlier, AT A PUBLIC ED.
      If a UK patient attends a public ED with suspected DVT. The ED component is free. If they require ongoing medication such as a LMWH and warfarin or NOAC they pay retail pharmacy noncompensible costs, ie. no PBS relief.
      Hope this clears up the minefield of Australian health care billing a little.
      Also beware of of ambulance costs. I gather billing for this changes by state. You could be out of pocket a lot of money if you or a concerned bystander for example call 000 on your behalf, and a helicopter responds, you could be approaching entering a 5 figure bill.
      All I can do is strongly advise that your health care covers all of these possibilities.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
      Good point, in Victoria for example a helicopter ride could cost you $23,842
      https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/hospi...ambulance-fees
      You are probably on my ignore list.

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Ouch! $23k+ seems a bit steep, particularly if you didn't call 000 yourself. Thankfully, we're now back in Blighty and can put the whole issue behind us -- albeit better equipped for the next trip.

FWIW, my wife's scan showed she had a baker's cyst, a condition for which the health centre inappropriately prescribed antibiotics and later wanted to send my wife back for a further scan and prescribe another course of antibiotics (at additional cost to us). However, with the condition now identified, searching the NHS website and talking to a friend who's had one of these cysts gave us more than a passing suspicion that financial motivation was involved. We said, "Thanks, we'll refer back to our GP on returning to UK!"

On the subject of Aussie bank accounts, I tried in person at a branch of each of the big four and was turned down. Later, I contacted Westpac by phone to be told I could open an account. When I tried at a branch, I found out that these accounts are intended for migrants preparing for their move to Aus and, although I could open the account, I could only withdraw money from it after I'd provided proof of identity including an Aussie utility bill in my name. Thus any Medicare reimbursement (or other deposited funds) would be locked in an Aussie bank account in my name but from which I couldn't withdraw any funds!
      Last edited by GeoffL; 20-01-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      412 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by moven View Post
      Just needed to present at A&E with my Irish passport, without registering with Medicare.

Full care given without any further questions asked.

Bank account as above can be opened online prior to arrival in oz.
      Ireland has a different agreement to the UK.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
      Ouch! $23k+ seems a bit steep, particularly if you didn't call 000 yourself. Thankfully, we're now back in Blighty and can put the whole issue behind us -- albeit better equipped for the next trip.

FWIW, my wife's scan showed she had a baker's cyst, a condition for which the health centre inappropriately prescribed antibiotics and later wanted to send my wife back for a further scan and prescribe another course of antibiotics (at additional cost to us). However, with the condition now identified, searching the NHS website and talking to a friend who's had one of these cysts gave us more than a passing suspicion that financial motivation was involved. We said, "Thanks, we'll refer back to our GP on returning to UK!"

On the subject of Aussie bank accounts, I tried in person at a branch of each of the big four and was turned down. Later, I contacted Westpac by phone to be told I could open an account. When I tried at a branch, I found out that these accounts are intended for migrants preparing for their move to Aus and, although I could open the account, I could only withdraw money from it after I'd provided proof of identity including an Aussie utility bill in my name. Thus any Medicare reimbursement (or other deposited funds) would be locked in an Aussie bank account in my name but from which I couldn't withdraw any funds!

about the Aussie bank account... We opened an account with westpace from the UK in 2012. I contacted them by email and explained that we intended to migrate eventually but would be regular visitors for the time being. They rang to discuss it and said we could open a current account with a debit card and a linked E-saver account. They sent the forms in the post which I filled in and returned to their branch in London. The account was officially opened on the understanding that no debit card or other service would be provided until we gave proof of identity and this had to be within six months. We were travelling to London on a European holiday within this timeframe so took the opportunity to visit the London branch of westpac then (rang ahead and made an appointment) The bank clerk in London went through the paperwork, set up our esaver account for us and we chose passwords there and then. When we arrived home from our holiday two weeks later our debit cards were waiting for us. It costs five dollars a month, which we consider worthwhile because the account has been incredibly useful, particularly because we can transfer money over for our next visit while the exchange rate is good (or at least not so bad). I believe NAB will do this also and I don't think they charge. Worth persevering!
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      Liked
      58 times
      Rep
      We opened a NAB account over the phone in U.K. Transferred funds into it using moneycorp. Then a 30'min appointment in branch 2 days after we landed in Perth and account was all up and running and bank cards were in our hands. Then we popped up the road to Ahpra to complete my wife's registration. All done on a etourist visa. We are sending money over again in a few weeks as we are on our way back for holiday in February.
      Main applicant : Wife, Nurse, Fit2work :applied 10/3/16, received 21/3/16. AHPRA sent 14/03/16, delivered 24/3/16.acknowledged receipt 30/03/16. registration in principle granted. 14/5/16 presented in person(Perth) 17/10/16. AHPRA full registration 18/10/16.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      465 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
      You need to prove your identity in a branch before withdrawals are allowed but an Aussie utility bill isn't essential (not with ANZ anyway - obviously Westpac are entitled to have their own rules). We visited Australia a couple of years before we moved and activated our (ANZ) bank account then - long before we had any Australian utility bills.
      Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast