Booking seats

Just seeing if anyone on here has any experience of this...

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)

Unless you actually care where you sit I would not pay the booking fee - the airline will move people at check-in if there are not two seats together.

If the online system will allow you to only book seats for the child then you probably could get away with that but why bother booking a seat at all? Surely the main reason people book seats is because they want to sit together? Or want an emergency row which is not available with a child anyway.

Booked mine with emirates for free. Don't know how long that will last. But I prefer up front as it is quieter and less bumpy, and you can get off and on quickly. (I also take a child with me so I can board first and the plebs don't fill up your overhead lockers). I like the middle row, as there are two of us and I don't want someone climbing over us. Plus - the closer you are to an exit, the greater your chance of survival.

We we were on an easyjet flight back from Spain last October and found that a two year old had been allocated the third seat in. Our row of three ... Parent and aunt on opposite side of the aisle. We hastily offered to change seats and they gratefully accepted but we were all astonished at the seating arrangement (parent and aunt weren't adjacent to each other either). Be careful!

We we were on an easyjet flight back from Spain last October and found that a two year old had been allocated the third seat in. Our row of three ... Parent and aunt on opposite side of the aisle. We hastily offered to change seats and they gratefully accepted but we were all astonished at the seating arrangement (parent and aunt weren't adjacent to each other either). Be careful!

I think the main issue there is the choice of airline - Easyjet......not known for customer service or commonsense!

Although you would expect check-in staff to notice that is really down to the parents not checking the boarding card, Easyjet would have definitely changed it - I traveled with them a lot when my son was young & never pre-booked seats. If no other seats were available at check-in then telling a flight attendant would have resulted in people being moved - it's in the 'small print' of seat booking that you can be moved.

I think the main issue there is the choice of airline - Easyjet......not known for customer service or commonsense!

I'm sorry to hear you've had poor service from Easyjet. For a cheap airline, I've found them extremely helpful and accommodating. I'm quite sure that the flight attendants would have moved the child if they had been asked, I was just telling the OP that it's not been my experience that children are automatically placed next to the adults in the party, in response to their request.

We didn't reserve seats once and we were separated in to two lots of two, quite far apart on the plane. If I remember correctly the kids were in one lot of two and we were in the other, although I could be wrong and we could have been one adult and one child in each lot of two. As there were four of us this wasn't a major issue as we could simply arrange ourselves accordingly. As it happens though some other passengers offered to swop so we could all sit together. Ever since then I have always selected seats when booking the flight, although I don't think I've ever been charged for it.

We didn't reserve seats once and we were separated in to two lots of two, quite far apart on the plane. If I remember correctly the kids were in one lot of two and we were in the other, although I could be wrong and we could have been one adult and one child in each lot of two. As there were four of us this wasn't a major issue as we could simply arrange ourselves accordingly. As it happens though some other passengers offered to swop so we could all sit together. Ever since then I have always selected seats when booking the flight, although I don't think I've ever been charged for it.

Oh yes we have definitely been split with one of us with out son and one of us separate & the airline is unlikely to enforce a move in that scenario but I on the rare occasions there wasn't two seats together when it was just me and my son travelling the airline has always moved people. When the three of us are travelling I always pre-book seats now if you can - although we sometimes have an aisle between us so that one parent can get some uninterrupted sleep/film watching for a while and then we swap.

We have been split - the children were a little older though but we were in 4 different rows and not all were near each other.

I'm sorry to hear you've had poor service from Easyjet. For a cheap airline, I've found them extremely helpful and accommodating. I'm quite sure that the flight attendants would have moved the child if they had been asked, I was just telling the OP that it's not been my experience that children are automatically placed next to the adults in the party, in response to their request.

I'm not flying with Easyjet :) I'm flying long haul with Emirates.

We bought the tickets on 'sale' so the option to reserve seats at time of booking wasn't open to us. Am not too fussed where I sit usually but I don't want us to have to clamber out over anyone for toilets etc and would prefer not to be stuck right at the back or near toilets on the 777 13 hour leg if I can help it. The A380 leg I don't care a jot to reserve as its only 6 hours or so.

I'll try calling again today and sending off an email :)

I hadn't realised we'd have to pay to book particular seats. I didn't on A recent Qatar airways flight....you just went online and chose.

Our November flight will involve 2 adults, 2 young kids,and an infant so I really want the bulkhead row of 4 . Went online (Qantas) but I could only request a preference of window/aisle. I'd best phone in the morning I think!!

If I booked with Qantas but flights are actually with Emirates, who do you phone?

Just read on Emirates page that if you are travelling with an infant you are exempt from the charge as are all family members in the group....but as infant not yet born I can't add them to the booking just yet.

Edited by Bound4Tassie

I hadn't realised we'd have to pay to book particular seats. I didn't on A recent Qatar airways flight....you just went online and chose.

Our November flight will involve 2 adults, 2 young kids,and an infant so I really want the bulkhead row of 4 . Went online (Qantas) but I could only request a preference of window/aisle. I'd best phone in the morning I think!!

If I booked with Qantas but flights are actually with Emirates, who do you phone?

Just read on Emirates page that if you are travelling with an infant you are exempt from the charge as are all family members in the group....but as infant not yet born I can't add them to the booking just yet.

If you book a sky cot for your newborn, you will get the bulkhead row

If you book a sky cot for your newborn, you will get the bulkhead row

Depending on the number of infants the entire bulkhead row may not be available even if you book it. There are usually 2 cots so if another little one needs the other cot then an adult or 2 would be seated there with them. Usually they then seat others behind or across the isle which I found to work fine.

I think you have to pay to choose your seat on Emirates in economy unless you booked a Flex ticket. You can wait for online check in to open 48hrs before flight and them choose for free from what is left. At least that is how I am reading their seating info on the website.
I don't, and I have standard el cheapie seats.

I presume paying the fee only applies if you must reserve seats ahead of the check in opening? In other words, if you don't pay, you log in 23hrs and 59mins before flight time and select your seats then when you check in?

I'd just do that tbh. I don't think I have ever experienced a flight where the majority of seats weren't available at check in and you could just pick them.

I have always thought that paying extra is for those people who must have the emergency exit row. At 5ft 9 and a veteran of a few hundred crappy, cramped long flights on dubious 3rd world/former Soviet Union airlines into and out of various oilfields I don't have the requirement

:-)

I presume paying the fee only applies if you must reserve seats ahead of the check in opening? In other words, if you don't pay, you log in 23hrs and 59mins before flight time and select your seats then when you check in?

I'd just do that tbh. I don't think I have ever experienced a flight where the majority of seats weren't available at check in and you could just pick them.

I have always thought that paying extra is for those people who must have the emergency exit row. At 5ft 9 and a veteran of a few hundred crappy, cramped long flights on dubious 3rd world/former Soviet Union airlines into and out of various oilfields I don't have the requirement

:-)

Yeah, I can pick seats 24 hours to flight depart. Atm there are lots left so not too worried. We should get something sorted if I don't reserve ahead of then. Usually we reserve at time of booking but with this ticket option it didn't have that option.

I didn't think you would be flying with Easyjet, that's why I mentioned the name. I thought you asked for anyone with experience of children being seated on aircraft when seats had not been reserved in advance - you didn't specify Emirates in your OP you just asked for experience. I thought it might be helpful to know what airlines can do.

Edited by Fisher1

I'd rather fly with Easyjet than Emirates but that's a whole different post!

I am surprised you have to pay to pre-book seats with Emirates though - I thought that was the preserve of budget airlines. I did find they were one of the least 'family friendly' airlines & I am still shocked we were told to go and buy bottled water for our very hot and thirsty five year old at Dubai airport when we asked at the gate if they could get him some water - we couldn't go and buy any as we were only transiting and had no currency.

Travelling with a very young child I found Lufthansa and BA both excellent - BA are still the only airline that I know of that provides 'toddler seats' for 6 month - 2 year olds completely free.