Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booking seats

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep

Booking seats

Just seeing if anyone on here has any experience of this...

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5138 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by snifter View Post

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)
      Unless you actually care where you sit I would not pay the booking fee - the airline will move people at check-in if there are not two seats together.

If the online system will allow you to only book seats for the child then you probably could get away with that but why bother booking a seat at all? Surely the main reason people book seats is because they want to sit together? Or want an emergency row which is not available with a child anyway.
      A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it - George Moore

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep

Booked mine with emirates for free. Don't know how long that will last. But I prefer up front as it is quieter and less bumpy, and you can get off and on quickly. (I also take a child with me so I can board first and the plebs don't fill up your overhead lockers). I like the middle row, as there are two of us and I don't want someone climbing over us. Plus - the closer you are to an exit, the greater your chance of survival.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep

We we were on an easyjet flight back from Spain last October and found that a two year old had been allocated the third seat in. Our row of three ... Parent and aunt on opposite side of the aisle. We hastily offered to change seats and they gratefully accepted but we were all astonished at the seating arrangement (parent and aunt weren't adjacent to each other either). Be careful!
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      Retired
      Liked
      491 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
      We we were on an easyjet flight back from Spain last October and found that a two year old had been allocated the third seat in. Our row of three ... Parent and aunt on opposite side of the aisle. We hastily offered to change seats and they gratefully accepted but we were all astonished at the seating arrangement (parent and aunt weren't adjacent to each other either). Be careful!
      I think the main issue there is the choice of airline - Easyjet......not known for customer service or commonsense!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5138 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
      Although you would expect check-in staff to notice that is really down to the parents not checking the boarding card, Easyjet would have definitely changed it - I traveled with them a lot when my son was young & never pre-booked seats. If no other seats were available at check-in then telling a flight attendant would have resulted in people being moved - it's in the 'small print' of seat booking that you can be moved.
      A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it - George Moore

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
      I think the main issue there is the choice of airline - Easyjet......not known for customer service or commonsense!
      I'm sorry to hear you've had poor service from Easyjet. For a cheap airline, I've found them extremely helpful and accommodating. I'm quite sure that the flight attendants would have moved the child if they had been asked, I was just telling the OP that it's not been my experience that children are automatically placed next to the adults in the party, in response to their request.
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2088 times
      Rep
      We didn't reserve seats once and we were separated in to two lots of two, quite far apart on the plane. If I remember correctly the kids were in one lot of two and we were in the other, although I could be wrong and we could have been one adult and one child in each lot of two. As there were four of us this wasn't a major issue as we could simply arrange ourselves accordingly. As it happens though some other passengers offered to swop so we could all sit together. Ever since then I have always selected seats when booking the flight, although I don't think I've ever been charged for it.
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
      Dale Carnegie 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5138 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      We didn't reserve seats once and we were separated in to two lots of two, quite far apart on the plane. If I remember correctly the kids were in one lot of two and we were in the other, although I could be wrong and we could have been one adult and one child in each lot of two. As there were four of us this wasn't a major issue as we could simply arrange ourselves accordingly. As it happens though some other passengers offered to swop so we could all sit together. Ever since then I have always selected seats when booking the flight, although I don't think I've ever been charged for it.
      Oh yes we have definitely been split with one of us with out son and one of us separate & the airline is unlikely to enforce a move in that scenario but I on the rare occasions there wasn't two seats together when it was just me and my son travelling the airline has always moved people. When the three of us are travelling I always pre-book seats now if you can - although we sometimes have an aisle between us so that one parent can get some uninterrupted sleep/film watching for a while and then we swap.

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      We have been split - the children were a little older though but we were in 4 different rows and not all were near each other.
      I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast