Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Booking seats

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5425 times
      Rep
      I presume paying the fee only applies if you must reserve seats ahead of the check in opening? In other words, if you don't pay, you log in 23hrs and 59mins before flight time and select your seats then when you check in?

I'd just do that tbh. I don't think I have ever experienced a flight where the majority of seats weren't available at check in and you could just pick them.

I have always thought that paying extra is for those people who must have the emergency exit row. At 5ft 9 and a veteran of a few hundred crappy, cramped long flights on dubious 3rd world/former Soviet Union airlines into and out of various oilfields I don't have the requirement
      :-)

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by northshorepom View Post
      I presume paying the fee only applies if you must reserve seats ahead of the check in opening? In other words, if you don't pay, you log in 23hrs and 59mins before flight time and select your seats then when you check in?

I'd just do that tbh. I don't think I have ever experienced a flight where the majority of seats weren't available at check in and you could just pick them.

I have always thought that paying extra is for those people who must have the emergency exit row. At 5ft 9 and a veteran of a few hundred crappy, cramped long flights on dubious 3rd world/former Soviet Union airlines into and out of various oilfields I don't have the requirement
      :-)
      Yeah, I can pick seats 24 hours to flight depart. Atm there are lots left so not too worried. We should get something sorted if I don't reserve ahead of then. Usually we reserve at time of booking but with this ticket option it didn't have that option.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by snifter View Post
      I'm not flying with Easyjet :) I'm flying long haul with Emirates.
      I didn't think you would be flying with Easyjet, that's why I mentioned the name. I thought you asked for anyone with experience of children being seated on aircraft when seats had not been reserved in advance - you didn't specify Emirates in your OP you just asked for experience. I thought it might be helpful to know what airlines can do.
      Last edited by Fisher1; 04-01-2017 at 08:34 AM.
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5138 times
      Rep
      I'm not flying with Easyjet :) I'm flying long haul with Emirates.
      I'd rather fly with Easyjet than Emirates but that's a whole different post!

I am surprised you have to pay to pre-book seats with Emirates though - I thought that was the preserve of budget airlines. I did find they were one of the least 'family friendly' airlines & I am still shocked we were told to go and buy bottled water for our very hot and thirsty five year old at Dubai airport when we asked at the gate if they could get him some water - we couldn't go and buy any as we were only transiting and had no currency.

Travelling with a very young child I found Lufthansa and BA both excellent - BA are still the only airline that I know of that provides 'toddler seats' for 6 month - 2 year olds completely free.
      A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it - George Moore

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1446 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      I don't, and I have standard el cheapie seats.
      Fair enough! That was just from their website FAQs.
      Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn View Post

I am surprised you have to pay to pre-book seats with Emirates though - I thought that was the preserve of budget airlines. I did find they were one of the least 'family friendly' airlines & I am still shocked we were told to go and buy bottled water for our very hot and thirsty five year old at Dubai airport when we asked at the gate if they could get him some water - we couldn't go and buy any as we were only transiting and had no currency.

Travelling with a very young child I found Lufthansa and BA both excellent - BA are still the only airline that I know of that provides 'toddler seats' for 6 month - 2 year olds completely free.
      I'm not an Emirates fan but it was a cheap flight and came in well under any of the others available at the time. I'd much rather gone via Singapore but there were no shorter stopovers, it was all 8-12 hours plus and some hitting 24 hours. I don't have time for that.

The reason I have to pay to book seats is its a 'sale' ticket. I can reserve them from 24 or 48 hours before departure if I need to. Some long haul airlines do this now.

Title
      Liked
      41 times
      Rep
      Just seeing if anyone on here has any experience of this...

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)
      Probably depends on the airline. I know unbelievably Ryanair somehow allow young children to be separated from a parent. That may have changed however as it was a few years ago a colleague told me about their experience.

I did see, on a recent search online for flights, that if an Emirates flight is operated by Qantas you have to pay for seats (not an Emirate flight fully operated by Emirates). May have misread tho as it was late when I was online.
      Last edited by Ozzie; 06-01-2017 at 06:24 PM.
      Two professional people looking for a different view. Small child and fluffy pet in tow. Whits fur ye, nae git by ye

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn View Post

really? They have huge transit lounges with heaps of shops that take multiple currency and credit cards? I doubt they would keep water on a gate. It's just a gate. And if they did it for one, there would be a queue. They would have to leave the desk and get it off the plane. I travel Emirates all the time and they are very family friendly. Never had a problem, always fantastic. Dubai airport used to be a pain, but that is working well now too.
      Last edited by newjez; 06-01-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1446 times
      Rep
      Looks like I can choose seats online on the emirates page after all without a fee. Unfortunately I can't pick bulkhead. Not sure if that is because they're already taken or I don't have an infant on my booking ( as is currently unborn!) . Phone call tomorrow!
      Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123