Moving back to the UK in February

MelbourneTractor

Where are you in E Sussex, Deryans? I'm moving there in June and need some ideas.

Near Ashdown Forest, 20 min to Woyal Tunbridge Wells , 15 to East Grin, Our requirements were in order of priority, Schools, stations to London (there are 3 lines within 20 mins ) and rural enough to be away from it all but reasonable access to London (just under 50 mins train time - lol when it works) ,we're on a farm, loads of bike trails, horse riding, great local pubs, but close enough to get to a major airport and or port, Chunnel is 1 hour away, Gatwick door to checkin including long term is about 1 hour-ish, brighton 50 mins, portsmouth just under 2 hours.

Edited by deryans

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Near Ashdown Forest, 20 min to Woyal Tunbridge Wells , 15 to East Grin, Our requirements were in order of priority, Schools, stations to London (there are 3 lines within 20 mins ) and rural enough to be away from it all but reasonable access to London (just under 50 mins train time - lol when it works) ,we're on a farm, loads of bike trails, horse riding, great local pubs, but close enough to get to a major airport and or port, Chunnel is 1 hour away, Gatwick door to checkin including long term is about 1 hour-ish, brighton 50 mins, portsmouth just under 2 hours.

That sounds like a quality and sensible place to live ...many bases covered ...good for you ...

Sorry to to hear that scousers. I'm from the Wirral too. Over in the U.K. at the moment and will have to return to Aus soon, dreading it. Seriously hope it works out well for you

That's a bloody sad post ...genuinely feel for you .

I had to experience the leaving the u.k ,20 years ago to go back ,after a holiday

But we were young then and returned to the u.k 6 months later .

As you get older ,it gets harder I suppose ,and I feel for you .

At that time we had both sets of parents ,only 1 left now .

We haven't wasted our time in the u.k ...besides the parents ,we have been all over the world with the kids from the u.k .

Sad thing is ,we used to be a close family ,brought up the right way .

All my remaining close family are in oz ,and I don't look forward to their visits now ..

Bloody sad

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

We've been back in Leicestershire for a week.

It's been great to see friends, play hockey and have a decent pint of ale in a proper pub. I'm quite excited to be heading down to Suffolk this afternoon to see my family and watch the mighty ITFC.

I've also secured a good job and got an AIP for a mortgage big enough to buy a nice place in Barrow or Quorn.

But...

Good lord it's greyer than Melbourne in winter, the houses are tiny and ugly and that Leicestershire accent!

At the moment I can't help feeling that I've seriously dropped the ball and should have just come for a holiday, I hope I get over it soon else we may end up ping ponging after our wedding in April.

It's been great to see friends, play hockey and have a decent pint of ale in a proper pub. I'm quite excited to be heading down to Suffolk this afternoon to see my family and watch the mighty ITFC.

I've also secured a good job and got an AIP for a mortgage big enough to buy a nice place in Barrow or Quorn.

But...

Good lord it's greyer than Melbourne in winter, the houses are tiny and ugly and that Leicestershire accent!

At the moment I can't help feeling that I've seriously dropped the ball and should have just come for a holiday, I hope I get over it soon else we may end up ping ponging after our wedding in April.

You wont be the first ;-)

Good grief Melbourne Tractor it's February what were you expecting? For the record the weather here (Sydney) has been equally sh1te. Hottest Feb on record, last week I got into the car and could not physically hold the steering wheel as it was 51 c inside as the car had been in an open air car park all day. Outside was a balmy 43c. It was disgusting, I have never known anything like it, it broke all records. The 3 weeks before weren't mucn better . But that's February for you, at least houses in the UK have central heating as the norm. Aircon here is a rare luxury. As for house size it comes down to money. Don't know whereabouts in Melbourne you lived but if you compare suburban Sydney to Leicestershire on todays exchanege rate I can afford a palace for the same money and Melbourne is not that far behind Sydney in terms of property prices. Go and have a few beers!

But...

Nicer day today, the snowdrops are out, the daffs will be up soon, the days are getting noticeably longer, it's all good! Give it more than a week and just think of sweltering in 40c, showering in the middle of the night to cool down. There's more to life than a big house!

I know, crazy how much your heart can be split between two places!

As a person who lives in Melbourne and spends every second winter in Barrow, I feel your pain! You'll be right. That white sky sitting just above your head will lift over the next few weeks and the colour will come back. You'll certainly appreciate Spring more than you did here! I'd take Quorn over Barrow btw but I imagine the houses are dearer?

But...

if you had left a miserable aussie winter and came back to a british summer in full bloom with the long warm summer nights you would think different...houses ugly?you kidding, compared to the new builds in oz with no gardens they are palaces.

Good grief Melbourne Tractor it's February what were you expecting? For the record the weather here (Sydney) has been equally sh1te. Hottest Feb on record, last week I got into the car and could not physically hold the steering wheel as it was 51 c inside as the car had been in an open air car park all day. Outside was a balmy 43c. It was disgusting, I have never known anything like it, it broke all records. The 3 weeks before weren't mucn better . But that's February for you, at least houses in the UK have central heating as the norm. Aircon here is a rare luxury. As for house size it comes down to money. Don't know whereabouts in Melbourne you lived but if you compare suburban Sydney to Leicestershire on todays exchanege rate I can afford a palace for the same money and Melbourne is not that far behind Sydney in terms of property prices. Go and have a few beers!

post of the thread