Moving back to the UK in February

MelbourneTractor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry why would he need to give it a rest? , not everyone is blinkered by Australia.

I have now lived here for 5 years. we are hopefully moving back this year already been waiting 18 months longer than we wanted due to legal issues. bar the weather Australia, does not have a patch on the UK.... thats my opinion however others will rightly disagree, Bristol could tell you to give it a rest harping on about how great Australia is.

No he couldn't because I don't and never have harped on about how great Australia is, and I am certainly not blinkered...what a stupid statement. Thanks for your input though. :dull:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/new-research-declares-leicester-the-worst-place-in-england-to-raise-a-family/story-29670891-detail/story.html

Just to add some balance as never heard positives about Leicester before, outside of the 2015/16 EPL season

The city did strike me as a bit of a dump, but we were in a nice village about twenty miles or so out of town. B&B in the middle of a sheep farm. Nice walks. We only went into the city to visit the space station. It looked a bit grim. Not the space station, that was OK, but once was enough.

All bluff and bulshite, where are the companies wg

ho said if we left would relocate? Ohhhhhh look the footsie is at an all time high for a decade and firms are doing well, these pathetic nobodies who said they would leave are still here. lol

You need to calm down and get yourself a nice weekend away somewhere.

Take your pick from Margaret River, Margaret River, Margaret River, Margaret River or Margaret River.....

Must be hard having so many places on your doorstep to choose from.

Oh wait.....you don't have any.

You must be shaking with excitement down there when the weekend comes.

Let me explain Leicester.

I am am not from there, so not my home city. I moved there in my early 20's as a student, met my wife and stayed.

We lived in what is known as not one of the better areas - Highfields. Which is a large area close to the city centre and is over 90% none white and was, when we first moved in a red light area and a reputation for drugs and all that goes with that.

But, it was the best community feel I have experienced anywhere. The little avenue we lived on was very quiet - you can't drive down it and it is a dead end. We had an avenue quizz team and things. The neighbours were mainly academics from Leicester Uni and wonderful people.

Leiecester has has the best market I have ever been to - incredible selection of stalls selling everything from game to fish to veg.

It has a nice feel about the city, the walk in via New Walk is a simple joy.

It it has some great parks such as Victoria Park.

It it has great history and some fascinating buildings.

A good night life that is neither expensive or violent, though it is short of good restaurants, but there are many in easy travel distance.

In short, we had a very good life there and I have a number of very good friends who are very qualified professionals who would never leave.

Thanks everyone.

I had a good chat with a few people back home on Skype and a job interview for a role back in Leicester, I'm feeling a lot more positive about the move but will still be a little sad to leave.

PS go Renegades this evening 

I wouldn't want to be discouraging but really do think about where you are going to locate around Leicester as I thought it was pretty depressing when I visited a few months back, and although there is a lot of dispute about the likely effects of Brexit I'm sure we have not seen the effects of it yet and it might be worth thinking as to whether to wait and see how it plays out, and we were very surprised at how the economic good times seem to be concentrated in the SE.

Read around some of the threads on here,but you might need to be a little circumspect of some posters who seem to think that the UK has cornered the market in Economic Prowess.

Read some alternative on line reporting like the Independent, the Guardian and even the Times to get an alternative of how things are going back here.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I had a good chat with a few people back home on Skype and a job interview for a role back in Leicester, I'm feeling a lot more positive about the move but will still be a little sad to leave.

PS go Renegades this evening 

That did not go so well.

The Heat are the unexpected trailblazers this year. Our family go and it is great fun though with our talisman Chris Lyn selected for Australia it will be uphill from here on I suspect.

That did not go so well.

The Heat are the unexpected trailblazers this year. Our family go and it is great fun though with our talisman Chris Lyn selected for Australia it will be uphill from here on I suspect.

Terrible performance and result for the renegades and it was a bit balmy in the Etihad with the roof closed.

Still a cracking night out though.

As an Australian married to a man from Leicester can I just stick up for the place? I am there every second year. It has grotty bits like every city and it has too much retail in the town centre so a lot of shops are closed and closing. However, it also has some beautiful historic parts as VS says and a lot of really nice suburbs and surrounding villages. The new shopping centre has no doubt affected the viability of the streets and streets of small shops, as had the closing of the council offices which has reduced activity at one end. Take a look at the villages north of the city along the A6 - you are quickly in a semi rural landscape with good links into town.

You need to calm down and get yourself a nice weekend away somewhere.

Take your pick from Margaret River, Margaret River, Margaret River, Margaret River or Margaret River.....

Must be hard having so many places on your doorstep to choose from.

Oh wait.....you don't have any.

You must be shaking with excitement down there when the weekend comes.

Stratford upon avon Or perth LMFAO, DULLSVILLE Perth or buzzin Stratford...:biglaugh:

No he couldn't because I don't and never have harped on about how great Australia is, and I am certainly not blinkered...what a stupid statement. Thanks for your input though. :dull:

So, someone disagrees with you, and they are stupid? that I find rude completely, you are commenting in a section which is for persons who wise to or whom have returned to the UK. if you are not liking the comments don't read it but not reason to be rude at all.

So, someone disagrees with you, and they are stupid? that I find rude completely, you are commenting in a section which is for persons who wise to or whom have returned to the UK. if you are not liking the comments don't read it but not reason to be rude at all.

Read my comment again. I did not say you were stupid I said your comment was stupid. Think you'll find your original comment was pretty rude but hey ho.

Can we not get into taking this off topic with bickering amongst each other over who says it loudest the longest, some point scoring or whatever grumble it is this time.

Just give it a break and discuss the topic, not each other. Support the OP in their planned move to the UK and stop dragging this thread to places it really doesn't need to be dragged.

Can we not get into taking this off topic with bickering amongst each other over who says it loudest the longest, some point scoring or whatever grumble it is this time.

Just give it a break and discuss the topic, not each other. Support the OP in their planned move to the UK and stop dragging this thread to places it really doesn't need to be dragged.

I know, I do not understand why people come here to bash the UK other than trying to justify having moved all the way out to Australia.

The OP has made a great decision to come home, I fully support the OP, its a great time to be moving back.

Australia is gearing up for some pretty lean times ahead.

Where we lived, masses of people have already left.

There are a lot who still want to leave but they can't no matter how much they want to go.

They cant even sell their overvalued properties which are only going to drop a lot more in value, if they can even sell them.

Lets face it, they built too much too quickly and now the bubble has burst.

I have my friends still down there who keep telling me how bad it is and it is not pretty.

I know, I do not understand why people come here to bash the UK other than trying to justify having moved all the way out to Australia.

The OP has made a great decision to come home, I fully support the OP, its a great time to be moving back.

Australia is gearing up for some pretty lean times ahead.

Where we lived, masses of people have already left.

There are a lot who still want to leave but they can't no matter how much they want to go.

They cant even sell their overvalued properties which are only going to drop a lot more in value, if they can even sell them.

Lets face it, they built too much too quickly and now the bubble has burst.

I have my friends still down there who keep telling me how bad it is and it is not pretty.

As per my post, lets not detract from the OP's post :) Thanks.

I've asked, I'd appreciate it if people would kindly listen and respect that and the OP's original post.

This is my last time of asking, future posts going off topic will be removed.

Thank you.

Hope all goes well back in the UK for the OP. I've just returned from 19 months in Nottingham and was forced back to Australia due to ill health. Can't wait to get back once I've sold my house here in Australia. Enjoy all that the East Midlands as to offer. Might be bias but it's one of the many areas of Britain thats so underrated . If you are a foxes fan enjoy the Champions league even in Nottingham you could feel the buzz coming from Leicester last year.

I have also booked a one way flight back to the UK in April.

i have been here 5 years, and think I have had enough now

like they said when I left the UK that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

i live in Perth which has amazing weather and beaches, but it is so hard to make friends here,

i also find a lot of Australians to be rude and have big mouths, which must be in the bloodline from the crims sent from the uk.

will be glad to get back to my family and friends and some proper pubs.

So Australians are rude, big mouths due to their criminal bloodline. Really? Well I guess I must have got lucky. My wife of 30 years is descended from a convict from Yorkshire and a Tasmanian Aboriginal woman. She is the finest human being I've ever met. I wonder what's in your bloodline. Sounds like you come from a long line of ignorant fools.

Yes- most of the convicts were poms. Some people you just wouldn't want to be friendly with and maybe they should take a long hard look at themselves....

As I have said many times ....got on really well with the Aussies...they take the piss ,and yes you out ,you give it them back with interest ....the poms in oz ,in the main ,didn't mix or get on with them very well .

That's me and my wife ...all our true friends were aussies