Sydney superiority

movingback

Oh and here's me thinking that Melbourne was the best city in the world. We only watched about 10 minutes of the lead up to Midnight and I lost count of the number of times the phrase "the worlds most liveable city for the last 6 years". Starting with the Lord Mayor then on to the presenters. And this is a city with an increasing crime rate, murders galore hijacking you name it. Hundreds of homeless setting up on the streets. Beggars on the streets in the CBD.

I wasn't too impressed with the fireworks either in Melbourne, $3million for just 10 minutes of repetitive bangs and flashes. Possibly spread over too big an area to be really effective.

Ridiculous waste of money.

Mike

Oh and here's me thinking that Melbourne was the best city in the world. We only watched about 10 minutes of the lead up to Midnight and I lost count of the number of times the phrase "the worlds most liveable city for the last 6 years". Starting with the Lord Mayor then on to the presenters. And this is a city with an increasing crime rate, murders galore hijacking you name it. Hundreds of homeless setting up on the streets. Beggars on the streets in the CBD.

I wasn't too impressed with the fireworks either in Melbourne, $3million for just 10 minutes of repetitive bangs and flashes. Possibly spread over too big an area to be really effective.

Mike

You have a point there. Crying shame Aussie cities have opted for the North American route of increasing homelessness. A greater shame is this is just the beginning unless this nation changes tack.

You may not have heard the publicity in Melbourne that many of these people on the streets are not the actual homeless.

Because Melbourne now provides services like vans providing food, and shower and laundry for free that some backpackers have taken to sleeping on the street and using these free services.

Some are homeless and many of them refuse the offers of housing that have been made to them.

Doesn't every city in the world have people who sleep on the streets ?

Even Perth I bet.

Edited by parleycross1

Best city in the world my foot. The average Sydneysider lives very far removed from harbour vista's in sprawling, dormitory suburbs. Nothing particularly inspiring or awesome living as thus, not forgetting paying some of the worlds most outrageous prices for the privilege.

Actually a rather remarkably small centre for a city of note as well. Not particularly very good weather to top it off.

I asked a " world tour " guide who spoke 6 languages where the city in the world was ,in his opinion

He reckoned BARCELONA ....my mate who has a place in Spain reckons MADRID leaves Barcelona trailing .

Me ,if you are talking a proper cities that everything ,art ,culture,history, it has to be PARIS .

The louvre ,Versailles simply stunning

You may not have heard the publicity in Melbourne that many of these people on the streets are not the actual homeless.

Because Melbourne now provides services like vans providing food, and shower and laundry for free that some backpackers have taken to sleeping on the street and using these free services.

Some are homeless and many of them refuse the offers of housing that have been made to them.

Even Perth I bet.

Very sadly ,yes ...and there is no need for it

Kind of agree about Amsterdam and Berlin. Not fussed about Paris and now that my sister no longer lives in London, I'll probably never go there again but hey, that's me. I'm just a country bumpkin. Oh! A city I really like is Edinburgh.

But jock Amsterdam and berlin are like villages compared to Paris ....in my humble opinion you cannot even compare them ...its like comparing Adelaide with new York .

Mike

Sydneys fireworks are bloody impressive and always lead the news here ...but iam with you mike ...yes have Sydney as australias representative ...great .

But who sees melbournes display ,especially when the money could be spent elsewhere

I asked a " world tour " guide who spoke 6 languages where the city in the world was ,in his opinion

He reckoned BARCELONA ....my mate who has a place in Spain reckons MADRID leaves Barcelona trailing .

Me ,if you are talking a proper cities that everything ,art ,culture,history, it has to be PARIS .

I love Paris too but it is ruined somewhat by all the pickpockets, beggars, gypsies and scammers everywhere.

Plus all the dog sh1t on the streets is not nice.

All very subjective. I feel it something of a changing feast. I have never been to Madrid, but it was not particularly regarded beyond night life from memory.

I have been twice to Barcelona, but no opinion as a long time ago, pre Olympic days. Hardly valid any comment from me, but did like the night life.

Now Paris is a city I know and have lived and worked in over a few periods. I feel it has declined over recent times, if anything, but a purely personal view.

I find it hard to say which are the best cities of Europe. The cities I have always liked most are Lisbon, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Toulouse, Rome, Antwerp and London.

I have limited knowledge of East European cities hence can't comment on those.

Sydneys fireworks are bloody impressive and always lead the news here ...but iam with you mike ...yes have Sydney as australias representative ...great .

But who sees melbournes display ,especially when the money could be spent elsewhere

Yes but besides the grand vista, isn't it also because it is the first major city to welcome in the new year?

Even Perth I bet.

So folk make a life decision through preference to live on the streets? Of course Perth has homeless. All to many and growing for my liking. Doesn't every city have homeless? Don't know but what I do know is homelessness is a growing phenomena in Australia, which was only marginalised folk of limited numbers, thirty plus years ago.

You may have read how Centrelink persecutes people into paying out fines for non existent offences because their computer says so. Increasingly easy, in a land with little security of tenancy to be out on the street with little support.

Yes there is a place in the city where folk can shower. Beds are available short term, as homeless are shuttled around as chattels. Some of these places are only marginally better than the streets.

The shocking thing being all so unnecessary in a country of Australia's wealth. Yet the onus is on tax cuts and furthering the wealth of the top.

I love Paris too but it is ruined somewhat by all the pickpockets, beggars, gypsies and scammers everywhere.

Plus all the dog sh1t on the streets is not nice.

No not really. Although there are 'beggars' that congregate by metro stations but usually harmless to say the least. Gypsies are more a product of Rome, while scammers can be a problem, more IMO, are the 'toughs' coming in from the 'suburbs' outside of Paris, who can be very intimidating and prone to violence. Of course pick pocketing and harassment of women another annoyance. Dog litter agreed an annoyance but hardly unique to Paris. They clean the streets you know.

But jock Amsterdam and berlin are like villages compared to Paris ....in my humble opinion you cannot even compare them ...its like comparing Adelaide with new York .

But you overlook or are plain unaware that Berlin has a larger population than Paris. Three and a half million compared to about two and a half million for metropolitan Paris. Berlin is hardly a village. Amsterdam while having a small population metro wise being well under a million.

It should be remembered that city is often included in a far wider area that adds substantially to the population.

Even Perth I bet.

yes every city has homeless people but I was shocked by the amount in Melbourne and Sydney. They were everywhere

As cities go, I think Sydney is very livable, ..............

I also think NYE garden parties with best friends would be just as memorable as a Sydney NYE, if not more.

I think this thread is a little Silly, family and friends are what it's about most of all, however, Sydney is Fab, If you've never been then you should go at least once, but after 10+ years of living on the birchgrove peninsula we'd just pop out for the early 9pm set and later at midnight when the kids were young and asleep I'd go and sit in their room and wait until the flatbed boat that fired the mobile fireworks finished as there was some report, almost like 105mm mortars , it literally shook the window frames. Kids always slept through!

Sydney definitely does NYE very well, and in the 90's before family I'd definitely go party. I always remember the rocks and circular key as being just crazy, did the NYE Party at the opera house once which was special, she was not I married another :wink: , can't imagine what they are like now, but almost definitely not suitable for young children.

I see that all parks with views of the bridge are now non BYO and dry, there is a good reason for that.

But you overlook or are plain unaware that Berlin has a larger population than Paris. Three and a half million compared to about two and a half million for metropolitan Paris. Berlin is hardly a village. Amsterdam while having a small population metro wise being well under a million.

It should be remembered that city is often included in a far wider area that adds substantially to the population.

Yes ,but historically Paris has been untouched ..berlin on the other hand was re designed by the allied air force and then by the Russians .

I find berlin ,a bit of a mess to be honest .

Amsterdam city centre is just too small to be under premier league consideration .

Paris ...london ...and ???

The thread is getting a bit silly. Sydney has a great NYE, its a fabulous city and of course Sydney is believed to be superior. Just like in the UK, London is seen exactly the same way (although that is deserved, as most other cities in the UK, especially in the North are cesspits).

I've just googled and Glasgow has more that twice as many people sleeping rough on the streets compared to Melbourne.

Around 560 in Glasgow to 250 in Melbourne.

Glasgow doesn't constantly scream about being the best city in the world. I actually liked Melbourne but the homelessness in both Sydney and Melbourne just got to me. I've heard Vancouver is the same