Sydney superiority

movingback

This is a bit of a whinge...

I am (eventually) moving back to the UK - hopefully this year. Currently sat at home in Sydney before going out for a few drinks with friends for NYE. I'm watching the news coverage. The number of times I have heard the phrases 'best fireworks in the world' 'best harbour in the world' best city in the world' is unbelievable! I get it; Sydney has a good harbour and an impressive fireworks display. However, this self congratulatory patting itself on the back is starting to grate. I haven't seen any other city in the world that seems to have the same degree of superiority / lack of humility. Anyone else notice this? I also have a few friends going to watch the fireworks - and they are paying $300 to get a spot!! Before drinks!

Rant over - heres to a new start in 2017!

Edited by movingback

Remember you're watching Aussie news though. I bet in Aukland the news channels consider the fireworks there to be the best, and the same in Hong Kong, Paris, London, New York etc.

I don't really understand why there has to be competition, though, if there is any. I'm sure that every city has its good and bad, scenic and not so scenic...etc.

• Like 1

I am (eventually) moving back to the UK - hopefully this year. Currently sat at home in Sydney before going out for a few drinks with friends for NYE. I'm watching the news coverage. The number of times I have heard the phrases 'best fireworks in the world' 'best harbour in the world' best city in the world' is unbelievable! I get it; Sydney has a good harbour and an impressive fireworks display. However, this self congratulatory patting itself on the back is starting to grate. I haven't seen any other city in the world that seems to have the same degree of superiority / lack of humility. Anyone else notice this? I also have a few friends going to watch the fireworks - and they are paying $300 to get a spot!! Before drinks!

As a Scot living in Adelaide my two cents worth:

You are correct, Sydneysiders do have a 'cooler than thou' attitude which I found grating. A lot of overtly camp, and/or posturing, making sure you know theyre from Sydney goes on there IMO. Melbourne folk I found far sounder, they just seem to go with the flow and hence way better place to spend time I reckon.

Reminded me of Scotland where you have Glaswegians, who feel the need to tell anyone and everyone theyre from Glasgow and the friendliest people in the world. And the East Coast, which just gest on with it

Edited by Johnny Kash

As a Scot living in Adelaide my two cents worth:

You are correct, Sydneysiders do have a 'cooler than thou' attitude which I found grating. A lot of overtly camp, and/or posturing taking place there IMO. Melbourne folk I found far sounder, they just seem to get on with it.

Reminded me of Scotland where you have Glaswegians, who feel the need to tell anyone and everyone theyre from Glasgow and the friendliest people in the world. And the East Coast, which just gets on with it. Nae bother

Blimey talk about stereotyping! Not everybody in Sydney is even a Sydneysider, it is hugely multicultural and then everybody is different.

Blimey talk about stereotyping! Not everybody in Sydney is even a Sydneysider, it is hugely multicultural and then everybody is different.

Not sure you grasped my response to the OPs thread Bungo. I gave an opinion having visited Sydney 3 or 4 times since living over here.

Loved Melbourne, don't rate Sydney in the slightest. My better half on the other hand is the complete opposite and thinks Sydney is the bees knees. So is life.

Are you a Glaswegian now settled in Sydney? (absolutely no stereotype or offence intended on my part or indeed the whole East Coasts of both Australia and Scotland) :cool:

We lived in Sydney , Birchgrove for almost 10 years, 364 days of the year a great little island of tranquility within a 15min bike ride to CBD, Kids loved it, fireworks very easy to get to, had our own little dingy I taught the kids to sail, literally walk outside the house 200 yards across the park and you have a full view.

Except....in 2008/9 Leichardt council decided that most if not all parks should be dry for NYE, that is , except our park....

Well you can imagine what happened after that , many residents simply tired of the 4am bogans and car chases, numerous assaults, even a murder at ballast point park....... so in the end we simply avoided NYE and in fact most of our neighbours used to go away elsewhere, simply not safe anymore.

I'm sure it must have changed by now as that situation could not continue, ah I see below they've banned Glass and Pets (yes, some bogans brought their fighting dogs one year and although I did not see it, I heard that one of the dogs ate another woman pet....., I'll miss the crunch underfoot the 1st day back as I walk to the ferry.....

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-new-years-eve-where-you-can-and-cant-buy-alcohol-food-and-drinks-20161229-gtj9is.html

It's a bit more in your face than most cities, for sure.

Where the hell do you pay 300 dolls for a good view?

One of the bars?

B

It's a bit more in your face than most cities, for sure.

Where the hell do you pay 300 dolls for a good view?

One of the bars?

B

LOL, a bar with a view will cost twice that, 300 aud is for entry to a vantage point where the numbers are managed and some facilities are provided. Or you could just get there 2 days before and camp :)

I must also admit , as a sydneysider who moved to adelaide, its was not that hard to feel superior. :D

...yes I have W.A in the early 90s ...its like boxer Floyd mayweather calling himself " the best ever " ...its for others to call it ,not yourself .

The 10 mins was actually live on sky news here ,very nice

Remember you're watching Aussie news though. I bet in Aukland the news channels consider the fireworks there to be the best, and the same in Hong Kong, Paris, London, New York etc.

I don't really understand why there has to be competition, though, if there is any. I'm sure that every city has its good and bad, scenic and not so scenic...etc.

No sydneys fireworks display are considered the benchmark ...

Easily sorted on the news front ...stop watching Channel 7 or 9 ?

I heard best fireworks in the world but not best city or best harbour before. I only went to the fireworks once, it has to be done, good but I have seen better displays. Alton Towers bonfire night 1994 was much better.

We had a really good NYE here in Devonport. One of the streets by the river was closed off - live music - dancing in the street - happy people - food and drinks available then fireworks at midnight over the river. Very enjoyable.

we went to sydney for the fireworks & it was brilliant. i thought we were made driving for nearly 6 hours with 2 children to get there but we talked to so many people who travelled from other countries to spend new years in sydney i started to feel like a local. such a lovely atmosphere with lots of families taking a picnic & mingling freely with tourists & all the little ones playing together. wonderful night.

We were also out last night with the kids at Bradfield Park, excellent fireworks display but would have preferred a ticketed display or to be on a private boat in the harbour :-) Last Year we paid for tickets on Luna Park, without the kids that time, and had an absolutely fantastic and memorable time.

As cities go, I think Sydney is very livable, but we certainly wouldn't want to be any closer then where we currently live (on the outskirts at the base of the Blue Mountains). i do love Sydney Harbour, I love the beaches, the facilities, the bars, restaurants, nightlife etc.

Is it the best city in Australia, or the world? I reckon it would rate highly, but it is such a personal thing. I love Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Darwin when I travel to those places. I also love Europe, South America, North America and Asia...

I also think NYE garden parties with best friends would be just as memorable as a Sydney NYE, if not more.

Best city in the world my foot. The average Sydneysider lives very far removed from harbour vista's in sprawling, dormitory suburbs. Nothing particularly inspiring or awesome living as thus, not forgetting paying some of the worlds most outrageous prices for the privilege.

Actually a rather remarkably small centre for a city of note as well. Not particularly very good weather to top it off.

Best city in the world my foot. The average Sydneysider lives very far removed from harbour vista's in sprawling, dormitory suburbs. Nothing particularly inspiring or awesome living as thus, not forgetting paying some of the worlds most outrageous prices for the privilege.

Actually a rather remarkably small centre for a city of note as well. Not particularly very good weather to top it off.

In your opinion Flag.

As I've mentioned umpteen times I'm not a city person though I lived in Sydney for many years and as far as cities go - it's not that bad. People here will argue with me (of course) but once you are out of a city centre, there's not much difference between one city and another. Yes, Sydney's expensive and yes it sprawls for God knows how many miles and yes it doesn't have the history of many other world cities. To me it's just another city. Basically they all look the same to me.

In your opinion Flag.

As I've mentioned umpteen times I'm not a city person though I lived in Sydney for many years and as far as cities go - it's not that bad. People here will argue with me (of course) but once you are out of a city centre, there's not much difference between one city and another. Yes, Sydney's expensive and yes it sprawls for God knows how many miles and yes it doesn't have the history of many other world cities. To me it's just another city. Basically they all look the same to me.

Not in my opinion. Sydney is too expensive for most. Let alone living with harbour vista's or close to hot spots. I don't find it anything like Amsterdam, Berlin, London or Paris for that matter. Cities certainly vary. Some are more liveable than others. Indeed very liveable, with high density, limited car use, walkable, everything close at hand, transport options, cultural diversity, and so on.

To lump all cities under one label is IMO erroneous. Although I can understand some dislike cities full stop, as dislike crowds and so on, they are far removed from being a homogeneous blob.

Not in my opinion. Sydney is too expensive for most. Let alone living with harbour vista's or close to hot spots. I don't find it anything like Amsterdam, Berlin, London or Paris for that matter. Cities certainly vary. Some are more liveable than others. Indeed very liveable, with high density, limited car use, walkable, everything close at hand, transport options, cultural diversity, and so on.

To lump all cities under one label is IMO erroneous. Although I can understand some dislike cities full stop, as dislike crowds and so on, they are far removed from being a homogeneous blob.

Kind of agree about Amsterdam and Berlin. Not fussed about Paris and now that my sister no longer lives in London, I'll probably never go there again but hey, that's me. I'm just a country bumpkin. Oh! A city I really like is Edinburgh.

Kind of agree about Amsterdam and Berlin. Not fussed about Paris and now that my sister no longer lives in London, I'll probably never go there again but hey, that's me. I'm just a country bumpkin. Oh! A city I really like is Edinburgh.

Sure I've no query over those that prefer country living to urban. My point being that cities very greatly in scope. Amsterdam being very user friendly. Helsinki is soon to ban all cars from the city, I've heard. Paris, while not for everyone, is very negotiable more so than London, partly due to greater density. While London is far more so than say Perth. (at least in public transport options)