Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10537 times
      Rep
      Best city in the world my foot. The average Sydneysider lives very far removed from harbour vista's in sprawling, dormitory suburbs. Nothing particularly inspiring or awesome living as thus, not forgetting paying some of the worlds most outrageous prices for the privilege.

Actually a rather remarkably small centre for a city of note as well. Not particularly very good weather to top it off.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by flag of convenience View Post
      Best city in the world my foot. The average Sydneysider lives very far removed from harbour vista's in sprawling, dormitory suburbs. Nothing particularly inspiring or awesome living as thus, not forgetting paying some of the worlds most outrageous prices for the privilege.

Actually a rather remarkably small centre for a city of note as well. Not particularly very good weather to top it off.
      In your opinion Flag.

As I've mentioned umpteen times I'm not a city person though I lived in Sydney for many years and as far as cities go - it's not that bad. People here will argue with me (of course) but once you are out of a city centre, there's not much difference between one city and another. Yes, Sydney's expensive and yes it sprawls for God knows how many miles and yes it doesn't have the history of many other world cities. To me it's just another city. Basically they all look the same to me.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10537 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by JockinTas View Post
      In your opinion Flag.

As I've mentioned umpteen times I'm not a city person though I lived in Sydney for many years and as far as cities go - it's not that bad. People here will argue with me (of course) but once you are out of a city centre, there's not much difference between one city and another. Yes, Sydney's expensive and yes it sprawls for God knows how many miles and yes it doesn't have the history of many other world cities. To me it's just another city. Basically they all look the same to me.
      Not in my opinion. Sydney is too expensive for most. Let alone living with harbour vista's or close to hot spots. I don't find it anything like Amsterdam, Berlin, London or Paris for that matter. Cities certainly vary. Some are more liveable than others. Indeed very liveable, with high density, limited car use, walkable, everything close at hand, transport options, cultural diversity, and so on.

To lump all cities under one label is IMO erroneous. Although I can understand some dislike cities full stop, as dislike crowds and so on, they are far removed from being a homogeneous blob.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by flag of convenience View Post
      Not in my opinion. Sydney is too expensive for most. Let alone living with harbour vista's or close to hot spots. I don't find it anything like Amsterdam, Berlin, London or Paris for that matter. Cities certainly vary. Some are more liveable than others. Indeed very liveable, with high density, limited car use, walkable, everything close at hand, transport options, cultural diversity, and so on.

To lump all cities under one label is IMO erroneous. Although I can understand some dislike cities full stop, as dislike crowds and so on, they are far removed from being a homogeneous blob.
      Kind of agree about Amsterdam and Berlin. Not fussed about Paris and now that my sister no longer lives in London, I'll probably never go there again but hey, that's me. I'm just a country bumpkin. Oh! A city I really like is Edinburgh.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10537 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by JockinTas View Post
      Kind of agree about Amsterdam and Berlin. Not fussed about Paris and now that my sister no longer lives in London, I'll probably never go there again but hey, that's me. I'm just a country bumpkin. Oh! A city I really like is Edinburgh.
      Sure I've no query over those that prefer country living to urban. My point being that cities very greatly in scope. Amsterdam being very user friendly. Helsinki is soon to ban all cars from the city, I've heard. Paris, while not for everyone, is very negotiable more so than London, partly due to greater density. While London is far more so than say Perth. (at least in public transport options)

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      295 times
      Rep
      Oh and here's me thinking that Melbourne was the best city in the world. We only watched about 10 minutes of the lead up to Midnight and I lost count of the number of times the phrase "the worlds most liveable city for the last 6 years". Starting with the Lord Mayor then on to the presenters. And this is a city with an increasing crime rate, murders galore hijacking you name it. Hundreds of homeless setting up on the streets. Beggars on the streets in the CBD.
      I wasn't too impressed with the fireworks either in Melbourne, $3million for just 10 minutes of repetitive bangs and flashes. Possibly spread over too big an area to be really effective.
      Ridiculous waste of money.
      Mike

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      8838 times
      Rep
      Bloody whingeing poms.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4376 times
      Rep
      Didn't watch the fireworks, too busy dancing and singing in a Melbourne suburb.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10537 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by parleycross1 View Post
      Bloody whingeing poms.
      But your a Pom, whingeing or not.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10537 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by starlight7 View Post
      Didn't watch the fireworks, too busy dancing and singing in a Melbourne suburb.
      Not alone I hope?

•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast