Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Title
      Dirty ROTTEN Scoundrel
      Liked
      2996 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      This is a bit of a whinge...

I am (eventually) moving back to the UK - hopefully this year. Currently sat at home in Sydney before going out for a few drinks with friends for NYE. I'm watching the news coverage. The number of times I have heard the phrases 'best fireworks in the world' 'best harbour in the world' best city in the world' is unbelievable! I get it; Sydney has a good harbour and an impressive fireworks display. However, this self congratulatory patting itself on the back is starting to grate. I haven't seen any other city in the world that seems to have the same degree of superiority / lack of humility. Anyone else notice this? I also have a few friends going to watch the fireworks - and they are paying $300 to get a spot!! Before drinks!

Rant over - heres to a new start in 2017!
      ������...yes I have W.A in the early 90s ...its like boxer Floyd mayweather calling himself " the best ever " ...its for others to call it ,not yourself .
      The 10 mins was actually live on sky news here ,very nice ��

Title
      Dirty ROTTEN Scoundrel
      Liked
      2996 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainR View Post
      But it is the best city in the world, and the fireworks are awesome :-)
      Not even close ...that city is somewhere in Europe ..
      All day long

Title
      Dirty ROTTEN Scoundrel
      Liked
      2996 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by LKC View Post
      Remember you're watching Aussie news though. I bet in Aukland the news channels consider the fireworks there to be the best, and the same in Hong Kong, Paris, London, New York etc.

I don't really understand why there has to be competition, though, if there is any. I'm sure that every city has its good and bad, scenic and not so scenic...etc.
      No sydneys fireworks display are considered the benchmark ...

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      306 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      This is a bit of a whinge...

I am (eventually) moving back to the UK - hopefully this year. Currently sat at home in Sydney before going out for a few drinks with friends for NYE. I'm watching the news coverage. The number of times I have heard the phrases 'best fireworks in the world' 'best harbour in the world' best city in the world' is unbelievable! I get it; Sydney has a good harbour and an impressive fireworks display. However, this self congratulatory patting itself on the back is starting to grate. I haven't seen any other city in the world that seems to have the same degree of superiority / lack of humility. Anyone else notice this? I also have a few friends going to watch the fireworks - and they are paying $300 to get a spot!! Before drinks!

Rant over - heres to a new start in 2017!
      Easily sorted on the news front ...stop watching Channel 7 or 9 😊
      Australia grabs you, and it won't let go!

Title
      Air & Sea
      Liked
      727 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by bunbury61 View Post
      Not even close ...that city is somewhere in Europe ..
      All day long
      No, you are wrong, I am right. My opinion is of course superior. No individual opinions or independent thought is permitted.

Title
      Liked
      161 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by srh82 View Post
      Easily sorted on the news front ...stop watching Channel 7 or 9 
      Haha I suspect this is correct! Currently nursing a sore head so it can't have been all bad last night ;)

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
      I heard best fireworks in the world but not best city or best harbour before. I only went to the fireworks once, it has to be done, good but I have seen better displays. Alton Towers bonfire night 1994 was much better.

We had a really good NYE here in Devonport. One of the streets by the river was closed off - live music - dancing in the street - happy people - food and drinks available then fireworks at midnight over the river. Very enjoyable.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      652 times
      Rep
      we went to sydney for the fireworks & it was brilliant. i thought we were made driving for nearly 6 hours with 2 children to get there but we talked to so many people who travelled from other countries to spend new years in sydney i started to feel like a local. such a lovely atmosphere with lots of families taking a picnic & mingling freely with tourists & all the little ones playing together. wonderful night.

Title
      Air & Sea
      Liked
      727 times
      Rep
      We were also out last night with the kids at Bradfield Park, excellent fireworks display but would have preferred a ticketed display or to be on a private boat in the harbour :-) Last Year we paid for tickets on Luna Park, without the kids that time, and had an absolutely fantastic and memorable time.

Title
      Air & Sea
      Liked
      727 times
      Rep
      As cities go, I think Sydney is very livable, but we certainly wouldn't want to be any closer then where we currently live (on the outskirts at the base of the Blue Mountains). i do love Sydney Harbour, I love the beaches, the facilities, the bars, restaurants, nightlife etc.
      Is it the best city in Australia, or the world? I reckon it would rate highly, but it is such a personal thing. I love Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Darwin when I travel to those places. I also love Europe, South America, North America and Asia...

I also think NYE garden parties with best friends would be just as memorable as a Sydney NYE, if not more.

•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast