When Migrating something now new on the list

Guest kdal

Hi All

The Australian Government have added a new requirement to all visa applications when migrating if you are over the age of 18, I think you have to sign to say that you have read the book on Australia, it's history way of life and the values that Australia share. The signature is to say that you respect Australian values and obey the laws of Australia.

You can pick up the information on this from

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

This may be a new form that needs to be signed by the main applicant on behalf of them and all migrating with them. It is recommended that all do read this as you could be asked questions on the book!!!!

Going to have a read on it today as looks interesting anyway and also get the kids to read it too.

Good luck all

Regards

Are you talking about the citizenship book? you only have to read this before you apply for citizenship as you now have to answer a 20 Question quiz on Australia,its history and culture.The Gov will send you a book free of charge(australia only) and it does make pretty good reading.Not sure about one that affects the visa though.

Cal x

Hiya Cal

No I dont think so, I got a feeling its a Value Statement and you have to sign before your visa application goes through that you have read and understood it and will obide by it. This is the pledge :-

' From this time forward, under god*,

I pledge my loyality to Australia and its people

whose democratic beliefs I share,

Whose rights and liberties I respect, and

whose laws I will uphold and obey'

*People may choose whether or not to use the words 'under god'.

The book is entitled ' A Life in Australia '

So it is recommended that you do actually read the book as you could well be asked questions on it and seeing as you have made the pledge I suppose you should read it as it would be like signing on the dotted line so to speak.

But it could be the same info as the Citizenship book that you mentioned but now you have to pledge to live and belief in Australian way of life etc...

I would think that more info about this would be available soon, or we would here about more of it soon.

Anyone else heard anything??

Kimxx

Guest ticktock

Hi ya!

I am just lodging my second application as I missed the deadline for (pathway D) have read through this and you are right! they now want you to sign the forms to say you will abide by their laws before they will process new applications. If they are not sent and signed they will delay application and in some cases they will refuse.:chatterbox:

So thank you for the heads up,

Mrs Tock

Hi ya!

I am just lodging my second application as I missed the deadline for (pathway D) have read through this and you are right! they now want you to sign the forms to say you will abide by their laws before they will process new applications. If they are not sent and signed they will delay application and in some cases they will refuse.:chatterbox:

So thank you for the heads up,

Mrs Tock

Hi Mrs Tock

Glad the information was of use to you as nothing worse than missing something out then not getting passed! And thank you for taking a look at it and confirming the situation.

Good luck with your second application hope all goes well for you

Regards Kim

Hi Kdal, Do you have to sign this before apply for TRA or Vetassess or is it just for the actual Visa application? Thanks Bernie

ps thanks for bringing this to light as visa is our next step when we hear from Vetassess :notworthy:

Ok Guys, I have a feeling that this is the step after the TRA application this is the VISA step, but i could be wrong.

But as far I can see you have to do this stat dec (type thing) to get your visa or you could fail.

I just printed it of and it was about 46 pages!!!!

We have to take this seriously as this is our passport in

I have been working this weekend so have not read to much into it but will do tomorrow and will let you know if I can make sense of it all

Good luck all

xx

p.s. Hi cal, I bet your Oh not looking forward to it, its like getting married again public speaking is either you or not - and for me its not!!!

Guest JoanneHattersley
Kdal ,,that is the statement you have to read out at a public ceremony when your citizenship is granted!!! Gary is sooo not looking forward to that bit ,we can do ours November 2008..maybe you have to do it before you get a visa too then???

Cal x

You`ll have to let me know what its all about then! We can do it Jan 2009!

You don't have to read it out individually. Everyone participating in the ceremony does it in unison. Those choosing the "God" pledge say it together and those who omit God say it together.

Cal, I bet your husband is pleased about that!!! x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Confusion has crept into this thread, I suspect. Please see this anouncement by George Lombard:

New Values Statement Requirement : British Expat Discussion Forum

The Statement of Values which is now required for visa applications is not the same thing as the procedure for Australian Citizenship.

God knows why they think the Statement of Values will do any good. I mean - can you imagine the average wannabe terrorist or other subversive saying to himself, "I'm barred from Australia because I cannot, in all conscience, sign up to this Statement of Values."?

The people who should thnk twice about trying to get into Oz with a view to wrecking the place once they get there will not find their consciences troubled by the Statement of Values. Ordinary folks like all the people on PIO already support Australia's values which is why all of you are either there or trying to get there. In the case of PiO Members, I would say that making any of you sign the Statement of Values is pointless because all of you agree with it anyway.

However, it is completely separate from applying for Australian Citizenship.

Cheers

Gill

Hi All

Confusion has crept into this thread, I suspect. Please see this anouncement by George Lombard:

New Values Statement Requirement : British Expat Discussion Forum

The Statement of Values which is now required for visa applications is not the same thing as the procedure for Australian Citizenship.

God knows why they think the Statement of Values will do any good. I mean - can you imagine the average wannabe terrorist or other subversive saying to himself, "I'm barred from Australia because I cannot, in all conscience, sign up to this Statement of Values."?

The people who should thnk twice about trying to get into Oz with a view to wrecking the place once they get there will not find their consciences troubled by the Statement of Values. Ordinary folks like all the people on PIO already support Australia's values which is why all of you are either there or trying to get there. In the case of PiO Members, I would say that making any of you sign the Statement of Values is pointless because all of you agree with it anyway.

However, it is completely separate from applying for Australian Citizenship.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

We do realise that they are seperate although it appears its the same kind of thing, if that makes sense! Does seem pointless as people will agree to it if they mean it or not but looks like we have to do it anyway..

Happy reading all

I agree Kdal its the same thing done before you get your visa and repeated before you get citizenship.At least hubby is relaxing abit now,it will be much easier if there is a few of us stood up at once!!

Jo ,,if you log onto Australian Citizenship it gives you all the info,a sample test and a link to which you fill in your name and adress and they will send you the book.It is pretty big and surprisingly enough a pretty interesting read.Mine took about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive.

Cal x

Guest KP Nuts

Hi peep's, so can you tell me please, what happens if the visa application is already there and sitting in a pile somewhere........

Thanks

KP Nuts

Guest ticktock
Hi Kdal, Do you have to sign this before apply for TRA or Vetassess or is it just for the actual Visa application? Thanks Bernie

ps thanks for bringing this to light as visa is our next step when we hear from Vetassess :notworthy:

hi guys

DON T PANIC

the declaration is on your application form. check you are applying with the latest forms as this is only included on the october forms.

Hi peep's, so can you tell me please, what happens if the visa application is already there and sitting in a pile somewhere........

Thanks

KP Nuts

Gd Day Mr & Mrs KP Nuts

Looks like if you have already applied then it probably doesnt matter, I think Mrs Tock's message after your one may answer the question.

But can't remember if you are using an agent but if you are I am sure they will give you the advise you need.

Sooo confusing when they change things just as you put all your paperwork in the post!!!:shocked:

• 4 weeks later...
Great info guys!!!! Good to know b4 hand. Thanks Kim for the pm, let you know how we get on.

Adele + all xxx

No problems Adele.

We finally sent our visa of today online so now the wait for the CO etc...

Got the booklet this week (ordered it ages ago, so if you want it in a hurry, suggest you download). It is probably for people who are not so much used to the western cultures I think but in the UK we are obviously used to that. There are some interesting facts about Australia that I didn't know about.

• 5 months later...

HI Everyone, Thought I would dig this old thread up of mine , as today I have been asked to send a signed declaration form to ASPC on the 'Value Statement'

So it is happening and mines been posted today, but this thread may help others or confuse others LOL

Regards

Archived