Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1446 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      All those are certainly very accessible here. Food is an important part of the Hobart scene - both eating out and food markets - including old style pubs with open fireplaces. (Seen a few PIO posters lamenting the lack of those elsewhere in Oz). Fewer of the sports bar type places than on the mainland.
      In fact food is so important that we have a week long party - called the Taste of Tasmania - to celebrate it each year. Coincidentally it always starts on this date (28th December).

http://www.thetasteoftasmania.com.au...image-gallery/

Rental costs are more expensive close to the city centre (such as the property mentioned by JockinTas). Parking in those areas can be a problem if you have a car - and often the properties are old and not well insulated - but, if you are prepared to travel a bit further out, you can get 2 bedroom rentals for much less - eg. averaging about $320 in a suburb such as Howrah

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...owrah-7018-tas

or Kingston

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...gston-7050-tas

I'm not sure about "predictable weather" - we're used to the "4 seasons in one day" here - but, on average, we're about 5 degrees warmer than your current location, with about 40% less rain and 40% more sunshine hours.
      I can't wait for our Tassie life to start. Not moving to Hobart ( unless work works out like that....wouldn't be disappointed if it did!)- we're hoping to settle in Hawley Beach on the North Coast.
      Good luck with your move Rik &Nik if you go for it!

Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      My wife and I want to move to Hobart, but it's all about getting a job ... there's only one place I can work, hope they're hiring ��

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Well, I've had the job offer, which has been accepted :) and the 457 visa is now in the early stages of being collated before being sent off. Exciting times indeed.
      Thanks for all the input, i've been doing a lot of research on good/ bad and indifferent areas around Hobart but seems there isn't too much by the way of current opinion, i know places change from year to year so what was considered bad in say 2010 could now be a decent place.

Any advice on good areas or areas to avoid for our search, the more info the better. I've seen a couple of decent places to rent in lindisfarne and blackmans bay, as well as sandy bay (which has had both a good and bad opinion)

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Welcome to our little island. Busy times ahead.

The areas I'd avoid are those which were established as broadacre social housing projects and don't have the best reputation - Bridgewater, Gagebrook, Risdon Vale, Rokeby and Clarendon Vale (all on the eastern shore) and Chigwell. Warrane (eastern shore) maybe too...although it's starting to get a bit gentrified. I personally don't like the Glenorchy - Moonah area....just a bit too industrial for my liking.

But Lindisfarne and Blackmans Bay are lovely. So is Sandy Bay: I'm really surprised that received a bad rap....it's generally considered the most salubrious area of Hobart. Sometimes I'm sure the problem is with the reviewer rather than the location. Blackmans Bay will have a longer commute if you will be travelling to and from work in peak hours...but a lovely beach and coastline to make up for it when you are off work.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Meant to add to my comments on Sandy Bay: it's very convenient to the Hobart CBD but also has beachfront access to the harbour.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Sandy Bay caught my eye early on, the commute from blackmail Bay all depends on the outlet I work at, which is uncertain until the employer knows when I'm going to arrive. I used to commute between 30mins to an hour back when I had a proper job over here. Lol.
      Thanks ks for the local knowledge, it is apriciaated perhaps more than you realise :)

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood Rik and Nik View Post
      Sandy Bay caught my eye early on,...
      I've thought some more about this and the only negative I can think of is the cost: you will probably pay a higher rental than for an equivalent place elsewhere because it is convenient to the CBD ...plus it's a very pleasant location ...plus the University is located there so a lot of rental accommodation is in demand for student share housing.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      I've thought some more about this and the only negative I can think of is the cost: you will probably pay a higher rental than for an equivalent place elsewhere because it is convenient to the CBD ...plus it's a very pleasant location ...plus the University is located there so a lot of rental accommodation is in demand for student share housing.
      yeah, i had noticed that :( the wife isn't keen on going as far out as Blackmans bay as we will most likley just have 1 car until we know what we can and can't afford. Lindisfarne and surroundings are favorite at the moment

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12