Unaccompanied Box - Air Freight

lizq

Ive just been back to UK, hurt my back and decided to send contents of suitcase/shopping by air freight. I'm now being told by the freight company that certain items - Cadburys chocolate and body lotions from Boots (all unopened and with clear list of contents) are banned under aviation law as unaccompanied items.

Is this correct? Just can't get my head round it.

Thanks for any information

I can ask a friend who has a global export company and I know he deals a lot with food, he did some unaccompanied air freight for us, although normally deals with companies.

Can you not just carry those items though? Or post them? I know it's annoying but the company is probably right.

I can ask a friend who has a global export company and I know he deals a lot with food, he did some unaccompanied air freight for us, although normally deals with companies.

Can you not just carry those items though? Or post them? I know it's annoying but the company is probably right.

Already back in Oz. They picked my box up 11 days ago, it got 'delayed' between being picked up and getting to their warehouse in London. Now telling me that these are (which I put on Customs form so there wouldn't be a problem) and banned.

[h=2]Unaccompanied baggage to the USA from all countries[/h]If you are sending unaccompanied baggage into the United States (or US territory), which contains any food, drink, or body products such as cosmetics, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) require notification at least 4 hours in advance of the flight arrival in the USA.

The following options are available to customers:

• Remove the items from the Cargo shipment
  • Carry the items as checked in baggage or cabin baggage note: excess baggage charges may apply
  • Send as unaccompanied baggage but comply with all FDA prior notice regulations.

If you are in any doubt, do not send the items as unaccompanied baggage or cargo. For more information, the PDF document below provides a full review of this policy, or visit: www.fda.gov/oc/bioterrorism/bioact.html

This is obviously US but it sounds like the same rules apply to Australia