Sydney heatwave: Hottest December night ever recorded

Perthbum

For those without air-con I really sympathise...:elvis:

SYDNEY sweltered through its hottest December night on record as the mercury refused to budge to acceptable levels.

Fans and airconditioners copped a workout and hundreds hit the beach last night as people desperately tried to keep cool.

The Bureau of Meteorology confirmed the overnight temperature dipped to 27.1C.

It was the highest minimum on record. The previous record was set on Christmas Day 1858, when it dropped to 26.3C.

The temperature also smashed all but one previous

SYDNEY sweltered through its hottest December night on record as the mercury refused to budge to acceptable levels.

Fans and airconditioners copped a workout and hundreds hit the beach last night as people desperately tried to keep cool.

It was the highest minimum on record. The previous record was set on Christmas Day 1858, when it dropped to 26.3C.

Another thing I don't miss.

We get down to 10C at night still even though it's summer. No problem getting to sleep here. Hope they have a big storm to clear the air in Sydney.

That would be pretty horrible, I can just about stand those temp during the day but not at night.

I thought it was OK tbh. It was very hot on Tuesday (my car said 41C at lunchtime) and warm all night but I'd swear we'd had hotter nights before. Hot yesterday too, took my team out barefoot bowling in the arvo and it was kinda warm. We were forced to repair to the pub for a few cold ones, by the time we left at 7pm the cool change had blown in. It's been positively chilly today :-)

Tough life, pure horrible day it was

15355552_1387363737955046_8369008768865702455_n.jpg

15541930_10154852150298804_3450991035447525440_n.jpg

15541641_1387363367955083_1294326236203677041_n.jpg

15541930_10154852150298804_3450991035447525440_n.jpg

15541641_1387363367955083_1294326236203677041_n.jpg

15355552_1387363737955046_8369008768865702455_n.jpg

Another thing I don't miss.

We get down to 10C at night still even though it's summer. No problem getting to sleep here. Hope they have a big storm to clear the air in Sydney.

Well jock ,its unbelievably mild here ....about 6-8c at night ....10-15c during the day ...but so still .....frightening really .

I hate the winter ,so iam bloody happy .

Genuinely ,2 incidents .

I went to the football Tuesday night ...more people drinking OUTSIDE the pub than inside it .

There were people sat outside the coffee house today at lunchtime .

O.k it isn't Las Vegas temps ...but its never right for a pommie winter

Well jock ,its unbelievably mild here ....about 6-8c at night ....10-15c during the day ...but so still .....frightening really .

I hate the winter ,so iam bloody happy .

Genuinely ,2 incidents .

I went to the football Tuesday night ...more people drinking OUTSIDE the pub than inside it .

There were people sat outside the coffee house today at lunchtime .

O.k it isn't Las Vegas temps ...but its never right for a pommie winter

The winter doesn't bother me here, it's neither cold or long enough to be a real problem though. Ridiculously mild, I was out in tshirt today and not the least bit cold. It's quite weird.

I remember a few years ago we had a spell of +40c days and I was sure it didn't fall below 30c at night once or twice during the week.

That's why people have aircon.

Haha, yeah I love it when people say the hot weather is great and then go on to say how they left their air conditioned house, got into their air conditioned car to go to their air conditioned work, stopped on the way home at the air conditioned mall and back to the air conditioned house lol

I've never been bothered by the cold, my dad was the same.
Actually a lot of Queenslanders are like that. Winter nights they are outside in shorts, vest and thongs when it is 10C. Also many have their aircon on high too once it starts getting warm.

I freeze when in their cars as rarely use aircon in mine.

I travelled with a group for a weekend of golf at Tenterfield last winter. First morning it was minus 6 with a heavy frost delaying the start of play. Breakfast was bacon and egg rolls cooked on the bbq. I was wearing my UK winter coat fot brekkie but most of them were in shorts and thongs with just a fleece uptop.

I feel better-suited to the hot climate here than most of the locals.

Edited by Gbye grey sky

I've never been bothered by the cold, my dad was the same.

You have never ever worked in cold weather then, sorry but you don't get use to the cold having spent many a cold winter in the uk outside and being chilled to the bone as they say and then taking 2 or3 hours to get warm then you do get bothered.

I worked one winter at point of Ayer ( end of dee estuary and Irish Sea ) building a development coal to oil plant in the winter of 86 there was 8 inches of ice on the sea with the average temp for about 6 weeks at minus 20 plus the wind chill let me tell you ,you get bothered.

Haha, yeah I love it when people say the hot weather is great and then go on to say how they left their air conditioned house, got into their air conditioned car to go to their air conditioned work, stopped on the way home at the air conditioned mall and back to the air conditioned house lol

You're missing the good bits though where, like us this weekend, spent the whole morning at the beach Saturday and Sunday.

Didn't need the aircon this weekend as it's not been hot enough to have it on. It's still pleasantly cool overnight and even when it gets hot it's not usually till later in the day. We live close to the Ocean too so we get a nice cooling sea breeze. In the UK we had central heating, here we have aircon.

You're missing the good bits though where, like us this weekend, spent the whole morning at the beach Saturday and Sunday.

Didn't need the aircon this weekend as it's not been hot enough to have it on. It's still pleasantly cool overnight and even when it gets hot it's not usually till later in the day. We live close to the Ocean too so we get a nice cooling sea breeze. In the UK we had central heating, here we have aircon.

I think you live at Mullaloo Paul? That's where we lived. Never needed air-con because of the sea breeze in late afternoon. Ceiling fans also did the trick too plus our house was well insulated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll

I do remember midnight skinny dipping at Rottnest during the summer. Takes me back.