Vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy linked to autism

Lambethlad

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/14/autism-linked-to-vitamin-d-deficiency-during-pregnancy-researchers-find

Makes sense to me. 40 years ago autism was rare in Oz. Now it's out of control. Why? One explanation could be the paranoia about sun protection, the government "slip, slop, slap" campaign would be remembered by older poms. We get Vitamin D from sunlight we need it for good health so it's crazy that in a country with so much sunshine most Australians are actually low in vitamin D. I have never used sunscreen but my daughter doesn't step outside without smothering herself in sunscreen. Five years ago she gave birth to my only grandchild. My granddaughter has autism spectrum disorder.

There's a lot of research going on in to the impact of not getting enough vitamin D - I've seen articles that suggest that the dangers of not getting enough sun are far greater than getting too much. The key is to be sensible and cover up when being outside for significant periods of time but not be obsessive about not ever going outside without sunscreen. The study you mention though is only small and far more research needs to be undertaken before any definite conclusions can be made about a lack of vitamin D causing autism. Not that ensuring your vitamin D levels are maintained is going to do anyone any harm and may even have other health benefits.

This topic has been raised on a number of occasions. Australia is blessed with having excessive sunlight. Leave the 'goo' of for awhile and get some rays. Just don't go over board and get burnt. Having a tan protects the skin from burning anyway. Obviously though very young, with sensitive skin will need greater protection.

The sun contains a number of health properties. Good for bones as well.

This topic has been raised on a number of occasions. Australia is blessed with having excessive sunlight. Leave the 'goo' of for awhile and get some rays. Just don't go over board and get burnt. Having a tan protects the skin from burning anyway. Obviously though very young, with sensitive skin will need greater protection.

The sun contains a number of health properties. Good for bones as well.

Common sense needs to be applied where the sun is concerned. I never use the 'goo' but never lie out in the sun either. I wear a hat and sunglasses and feel far more comfortable in loose cotton clothes that don't reveal a large percentage of my body to the sun. I have my skin checked every year now and it's fine. It's not covered in the dreaded wrinkles and I tan very easily. I have never had sunburn here but I did have peeling shoulders and nose a couple of times when I lived in Scotland believe it or not!

I should add, I had a bone density scan 3 years ago and apparently I have the bones of someone half my age. A woman I worked with at the time had a poor result and as she was always on some daft diet or another she thought that may have had something to do with it.

Edited by JockinTas

First it was combined vaccinations, then mercury in fillings, and now they're hinting at Vitamin D deficiency!!! I've always been "well tanned" as has my ex, and come to think of it, the majority of women that I know with ASD kids are, and always have been, well tanned. There are likely too many factors involved in autism to put it down to just one thing

Common sense needs to be applied where the sun is concerned. I never use the 'goo' but never lie out in the sun either. I wear a hat and sunglasses and feel far more comfortable in loose cotton clothes that don't reveal a large percentage of my body to the sun. I have my skin checked every year now and it's fine. It's not covered in the dreaded wrinkles and I tan very easily. I have never had sunburn here but I did have peeling shoulders and nose a couple of times when I lived in Scotland believe it or not!

I should add, I had a bone density scan 3 years ago and apparently I have the bones of someone half my age. A woman I worked with at the time had a poor result and as she was always on some daft diet or another she thought that may have had something to do with it.

I just get on with it. Long walks on the beach without a shirt on a regular basis. Swimming and cycling regardless of weather. Wear sun glasses and hat but stay away from creams etc. Tan up very dark in summer. Always have and feel very much better for it. I do know some that almost freak out with sun exposure and can't get over my blasé attitude. If I possessed such a hang up with regards to the sun, I'd likely remove myself to a country where it's rarely seen.

Two reasons why this is nonsense.

1. Correlation is not causality. Just because low levels of vitamin D are associated with autism does not mean they CAUSE it. Vitamin D levels may just be a marker of some other problem. As the neurologists said today, there are many and varied mechanisms to explain autism, among which vitamin D deficiency does not figure.

2. Using sunscreen does not inhibit your body's production of vitamin D. You only need a few minutes of daily exposure to UV to be replete with vitamin D. Slip slop slap will not stop this in any meaningful way.

But if you want to boost the bank balance of Blackmores shareholders, please keep taking the vitamin D pills

1. Correlation is not causality. Just because low levels of vitamin D are associated with autism does not mean they CAUSE it. Vitamin D levels may just be a marker of some other problem. As the neurologists said today, there are many and varied mechanisms to explain autism, among which vitamin D deficiency does not figure.

2. Using sunscreen does not inhibit your body's production of vitamin D. You only need a few minutes of daily exposure to UV to be replete with vitamin D. Slip slop slap will not stop this in any meaningful way.

But if you want to boost the bank balance of Blackmores shareholders, please keep taking the vitamin D pills

Shares in sunscreen companies then?

1. Correlation is not causality. Just because low levels of vitamin D are associated with autism does not mean they CAUSE it. Vitamin D levels may just be a marker of some other problem.

This! Many women suffering breast cancer are found to be deficient in vit D, but it doesn't cause it.

I feel a little sad about this line "my daughter doesn't step outside without smothering herself in sunscreen. Five years ago she gave birth to my only grandchild. My granddaughter has autism spectrum disorder." it almost reads that the daughter is at fault?

Do you go out into the sun? A number of Middle Eastern women I believe suffer the same. In their case it is due to being largely housebound.

Yes I go out in sun. I don't suntan for hours laying on the beach. But I do get incidental sun (i.e.) walk along beach, walk to work, walk to shops, whilst showing some skin in shorts and tee-shirt. Given that I do go out in the sun usually without sunscreen and I don't normally wear a hat, I thought I was getting enough. Very shocked to find out I was actually deficient.

Even worse my normal doctor told me my Vitamin D levels were fine, as they were within the guideline. Then I saw a second doctor for a different medical reason, and whilst I was there they happened to look at my results, and said I was way too low. Had this then confirmed by a third doctor and then a naturopath. So my regular doctor was saying all was well, but three other health professionals were saying I was too low. Confusing. But I followed the latter advice as three against one.

Yes I go out in sun. I don't suntan for hours laying on the beach. But I do get incidental sun (i.e.) walk along beach, walk to work, walk to shops, whilst showing some skin in shorts and tee-shirt. Given that I do go out in the sun usually without sunscreen and I don't normally wear a hat, I thought I was getting enough. Very shocked to find out I was actually deficient.

Even worse my normal doctor told me my Vitamin D levels were fine, as they were within the guideline. Then I saw a second doctor for a different medical reason, and whilst I was there they happened to look at my results, and said I was way too low. Had this then confirmed by a third doctor and then a naturopath. So my regular doctor was saying all was well, but three other health professionals were saying I was too low. Confusing. But I followed the latter advice as three against one.

Very confusing indeed.

Even though I live in WA and get plenty of rays on my skin I still take a Vit-D supplement as when ever I am required on site we are forced to cover up with long sleeved shirt, long trousers, brimmed hat and sunscreen which basically blocks out the sun.

I take a 1000 ui vitamin D supplement along with a K-2 which apparently aids the digestion and absorption of the vitamin D supplement.

It's amazing how many people are deficient in vitamin D in Australia due to covering up and sunscreen etc.

A woman who was a friend of my family's spine basically crumbled away which was later discovered to be living most of her life deficient of Vitamin D. It can have terrible consequences in overall health.

They found out i had vitamin d deficiency when they diagnosed the thyroid problems. Doctor gave me tablets and said dont be too paranoid about the sun, 10 minutes or so was fine without cream. I used factor 50 in australia a lot of the time but still ended up with skin damage. I went for a facial and they told me i had it around my nose. going to start taking my vitamin d again now because im not getting much sunlight now im back at work

I've had a few remarking recently what a great sun tan. At doctors two days ago and got a great bill of health. Try and get out in the sun, walking (easy now as no car for now) beach or cycle. Certainly pale noises require some added protection, but I'm a great believer in slow but steady exposure and not burning. Building up a sweat, aids in not burning along with riding body of toxins and even weight loss if so required.

• 4 weeks later...