Solicitor - work experience assessment by whom?

Maryah

Hi All,

this forum has been very helpful so far. Thank you all for that. ?

I have almost completed the journey to become a solicitor in NSW and apply for the 189 visa.

I have obtained the LPAB skill assessment letter after being admitted as a solicitor in NSW. It has been quite a struggle so far ? It only took me 11 courses and 2 PLT subject. If you need help, just ask me... I've been there ?

Now I seem to be unable to get my previous work experience assessed. The LPAB won't do it and the DIBP says the LPAB should do it. Great!! The last obstacle. How did you do it? Just applied without an assessment of your experience? I really don't want to loose the points for the work experience.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers,

maria

I have done graduation in Law from India. What should i do to get positive skills assessment ?

Sent from my LS-5016 using Tapatalk

Hi,

you post actually does not refer to any of my issues, but you may want to contact the admission board of the state you are trying to get admitted to. The LPAB for NSW has a pretty comprehensive guide regarding the assessment of your academic qualifications and your practical legal training. They will tell you what you need to study extra etc. Just beware that this is a quite costly and time-consuming procedure.

Good luck.

Maria

For what?

The admission body in NSW for the skill assessment accepts IELTS, I think. The DIBP accepts the PTE Academic, but this is at a later stage for your visa application. You will have to get the skill assessment letter first, which may well take up to two or more years.

• 3 weeks later...
Now I seem to be unable to get my previous work experience assessed.

You do not need to have work experience assessed.

You need verifiable employer certification/s, preferrably underpinned by some of: salary advice, bank salary deposits taxation records...

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

I guess the lady on the DIBP hotline just got confused.

You do not need to have work experience assessed.

You need verifiable employer certification/s, preferrably underpinned by some of: salary advice, bank salary deposits taxation records...

Hi Maria

It sounds like you have done really well. How hard was it to get a positive skills assessment? How long has the process taken?

thanks

Hey,

it was quite easy to get the skill assessment, it took only three days. However, I took the route to get admitted in NSW first. So as soon as I signed the Roll, I went to the LPAB and paid the fee for the skill assessment.

Apart from that, the whole process of being admitted took ages. I had to get the academic assessment which took at least 8 weeks and then I did the required courses online at UNE and afterwards applied for the final academic assessment which took "only" two weeks since I wrote them an email every day. The LPAB has a calender with committee meeting dates for the academicand PLT assessment and they are very found of it. It is online and it also mentiones deadlines for submitting documents. If you miss a date you have to wait at least another month. The PLT assessment took also about 6 weeks. It took me almost two years to complete the whole process, but this is due to the fact that I had to study every Priestly 11 subject, since I am not admitted in a common law country. It is probably much fast if you're admitted in the UK depending on the number of courses and the availability of the courses at uni in each semester/trimester (which was kind of limited at UNE).

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi Maria

Well done on seeing it through.  I am at the beginning of the process, hoping to qualify in NSW from Scotland.  Did you do distance learning with UNE?  If so, how did you find it?  I am hoping to undertake two modules per semester/trimester, not sure if three would be too much!

• 1 year later...
On 14/12/2016 at 10:27, Maryah said:

Hi All,

this forum has been very helpful so far. Thank you all for that. ?

I have almost completed the journey to become a solicitor in NSW and apply for the 189 visa.

I have obtained the LPAB skill assessment letter after being admitted as a solicitor in NSW. It has been quite a struggle so far ? It only took me 11 courses and 2 PLT subject. If you need help, just ask me... I've been there ?

Now I seem to be unable to get my previous work experience assessed. The LPAB won't do it and the DIBP says the LPAB should do it. Great!! The last obstacle. How did you do it? Just applied without an assessment of your experience? I really don't want to loose the points for the work experience.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers,

maria

Hi Maria,

I am having the same issue like you right now. Did you get your work experience assessed by any authority?

Thanks.

Regards

Andy

3 hours ago, wrussell said:

This is not necessary and such assessments are only opinions and are not binding on DOHA fuselages.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My only concern is the case officer does not recognise the number of years of experience that I am claiming for even after I am able to provide evidence to substantiate my claim.

• 1 month later...

Two separate things here.

Work experience for immigration purposes, to get points for the visa.  This is counted from when you are deemed qualified as per the assessment criteria.  Having degree and any post graduate certificates required to practice in the UK is normally sufficient (not the case for all countries). You need to provide evidence of this, it does not need to be assessed by a third party  

Qualifications to allow you to practise in Australia.  Effectively a conversion course to ensure you have the same education as an Australian solicitor, especially in areas where the law and practice differ.  You need this to be able to practice as a solicitor in Australia, you do not need it to get a visa though.

Same for electricians, they can get a visa with UK qualifications but can’t work as an electrician in Australia without further qualifications to give the Australian certification. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi @rammygirl, I am intrigued by your statement that admission is not a prequalification for visa. Would you mind explaining further how to go about getting a visa without having to requalify oneself? 

Can’t seem to PM you for some reason. Perhaps because this is a newly created account.

I was saying that for many occupations you do not need a license to get the visa. Your existing qualifications and experience will suffice if they pass muster and you have the points. 

However if the occupation requires an Australian license or qualification to practice then you will also need to get that. For many this can be done after the visa. It will depend and you will need to check as each occupation differs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2018 at 01:33, wrussell said:

A certification from a practice manager or a partner, underpinned by evidence of income should be enough.

If the employer pays in Cash and he declares it in his certificate, can it be acceptable?