Resident Return Visa (155 and 157) - Away for more than 5 years

B1K3R

Hi there :)

Got a question for you, hopefully someone knows something about it. So if one is a permanent resident and did not live in Australia for more that 2 years and is out of country but wishes to return, they need to apply for the RRV visa and (amongst other things) give proof of any ties to Australia, like family, business and work.

In my case, my best bet is to have a job offer and then they might consider us. So my question is:

1. Can we come on a Visitor Visa (600)

2. Then find a job and get a letter of offer

3. Apply for the Resident Return Visa (155 and 157) while I am there

OR

1. I need to apply while outside of Australia?

Thank you for your help :)

Cheers

Don't apply for a tourist visa. As above.

Potentially you may get a RRV, although it may only be for 12 months rather than 5 years if you haven't lived in Australia for more than two years. Therefore choose your timing as you may only get 1 year.

Good luck

Agreed :)

The problem is that my only chance to show any ties to Australia is that you need to prove to them (amongst other possible things) that I have a job offer and to get a job you need to be there (that's how it mostly work unless you're very specialized).

So it's like a deadlock :)

Cheers

If you have been away for more than 5 years I thought you also had to provide compelling reasons for your absence as well as close ties.

That's what I heard too but did not see anything on their web...

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/155-/Resident-Return-visa-(subclasses-155-and-157)-document-checklist

e0oxf87fqf4igzzzg.jpg?size_id=8

Edited by B1K3R

Yes you're right, in fact both the 155 and 157 specify that:

For 155:

* are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen when you last departed Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;

For 157:

* can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did.

Guess it's in the hands of destiny now! :laugh:

To show your employment ties with Australia:

• letter of offer from employers

• employment contracts

• recent official documents such as group certificates

• employee identification or security pass.

This is really silly of them....how can you get a letter of offer or an employment contract (let alone a job!) if you are not even allowed to be there since you need the RRV in the first place?! :biglaugh:

Guess they did this on purpose as only highly skilled people can get a job offer before they land in OZ....

• 1 month later...
To show your employment ties with Australia:

• letter of offer from employers

• employment contracts

• recent official documents such as group certificates

• employee identification or security pass.

So, back to this again! :P I am working with an international company and spoke to them about moving to OZ and they are 100% OK for me to work for them from there if I want. So I will be working remotely from Australia, most probably register as a contractor, pay tax there etc etc, but for course for this international company which has no offices in Australia at all...

Now the question is this.....would this letter/employment contract from this International country stating that I will be working for them remotely from Australia count? I am not sure if Immi AU is interested mostly if I will be able to support myself and my family or of they want my skills to be used from an Australian company...

Anyone knows? :)

Cheers and Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
Hi anyone on this thread an idea what chance i stand on a rrv.

obtained a 175 visa back in 2009

validated in 2010

visa ran out 2014

any chance now of getting a RRv

only ties with oz is family in brisbane

anyone help ??

How long did you spend in Australia? And is it close family - spouse, children etc or distant cousin-type family?

Hi Nemisis

thanks for the reply

we only validated the visa, only stayed for the 3 weeks

came home then after about 6 months decided it wasnt for us

now a few years down the line would like to go for it if possible

painter by trade got the cert 111 in painting decorating

family out there are second cousins

whats our chances now

Regards

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 8:56 PM, davet19650 said:

Hi Nemisis

thanks for the reply

we only validated the visa, only stayed for the 3 weeks

came home then after about 6 months decided it wasnt for us

now a few years down the line would like to go for it if possible

painter by trade got the cert 111 in painting decorating

family out there are second cousins

whats our chances now

Regards

Hi mate,

You are in my same exact position. In our case, we need to first have a job offer to present immigration and further to that, we also need to present compelling reasons why we have been away for all these years.

I would say that this will be hard for us to achieve, not impossible though. We can't even go for a recce as that would apparently cancel our visa... 

At this point, I kinda give up unless a miracle happens :)

On 2/21/2017 at 8:33 PM, daveysing said:

This rule of two years out of five, would it be ok to stay for the first two years and head back to the UK and still be granted another five years after that. Also, I'm going to be out the country totalling 6 weeks in them two years, would I need to add 6 weeks on ?

According to their site, you will be able to apply for the 5yr 155 but make sure that the 2yrs are in the last 5 years! If you pass the 5 years, then it will get complicated. Also it seems that you need at least 2 years in Australia like they say:

"You meet the residence requirement if you spent a total of at least two of the last five years in Australia as an Australian permanent resident or citizen."

More info on their web site here: Subclass 155 Visa

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to make a quick update that we have been granted an RRV for 1 year. So excited and happy and I'm really looking forward to return to Australia in October :)

At times what seems impossible is all possible if you believe hard and stay positive :D

Thanks all!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1K3R said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to make a quick update that we have been granted an RRV for 1 year. So excited and happy and I'm really looking forward to return to Australia in October :)

At times what seems impossible is all possible if you believe hard and stay positive :D

Thanks all!

Cheers

Great to hear that! Congrats Mate!!!

Can you describe bit details about your case like

1. from which country you are?

2. Did you presented a letter from you country for working remotely from aus as a proof of substantial ties?

3. What other proof of substantial ties you gave?

4. What compelling and compassionate reason you have for being away from aus?

waiting for you detailed reply :)

1. from which country you are? Erm, that's a bit personal.

2. Did you presented a letter from you country for working remotely from aus as a proof of substantial ties? Nope, as eventually I got a job offer from an Australia company

3. What other proof of substantial ties you gave? Gave reference letters (plus copy of passport) from relatives and friends (the more, the better!)

4. What compelling and compassionate reason you have for being away from aus? That's a bit personal too.

Good luck to you too! :D