Qantas Perth-London direct announced!

srh82

• 4 months later...

I would certainly use this service and here's why...... this month I flew to Melbourne using Qatar Airlines with a stop off in Doha. Due to a sandstorm our flight from Heathrow to Doha was delayed by nearly 3 hours which meant when we got to Doha, Qatar Airlines sent the Doha to Melbourne plane without us. Me being naive, I thought we will just jump on the next plane to Melbourne and everything will be ok. The only problem being that they only operate 1 service a day to Melbourne which meant that we got stuck in Doha for 24hrs, and if anyone has been there, you will know that it's bloody awful. So imagine this happened on the Perth route with Qantas..... Qantas would operate multiple flights from Perth to Melbourne (for instance) so if wr were to miss a connecting flight, the chances are that there would be another flight within 5 hours so the chance of getting to your destination on the day you want is higher.

• Like 1

There's always the risk of delays and missing connections and surely a direct flight with no stop overs is less risk.

I'm interested in this flight because I'll be travelling with my profoundly disabled son and the thought of getting on the plane in Australia and stepping off in London makes it doable rather the alternative of hours in airport lounges during stop overs.

However I've not found any evidence that bookings have commenced hence my query.

Edited by Melbpom

I'm from London and the plan is to move to Perth all going well with the visa.... I heard rumours about this direct flight over a year ago and would defo use it... would be easier for my family to get one plane less stress and hassle trying to work out connecting flights when they come to visit

Hopefully the price is good [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Guest John from Moneycorp

It will be interesting to see how popular this is - I don't actually mind a short stopover as it breaks up the trip but most people I know prefer going direct/non stop. 

On 4/23/2017 at 10:13 PM, MissionMelbourne said:

Using Heathrow to Melbourne as an example, do you think that this would be cheaper than current routes stopping in Dubai for example because Qantas will not have to pay airport fees in a foreign country when doing the stop over

No, because it actually costs more to operate non stop, counter-intuitive I know, they have to fuel it to the brim to get all the way to London, so that's a lot of weight to carry, also the 787 won't have the range to operate with a full load so reduced seating means more cost per passenger.

$2640 on an economy saver ticket... 

Perth  to London (Heathrow)     Depart Fri 30 Mar 18     Return Fri 13 Apr 18     Passengers 1 Adult     Travel Class Economy

"QF10 is subject to government and regulatory approval for departures effective 25 March 2018"

For an extra $100 you can start and finish in melbourne going via perth on the same dates.

Edited by kevsan
update

On 12/12/2016 at 9:40 PM, starlight7 said:

Not worth it unless you live in WA- still at least 4 hours over to the East and a couple of hours wait for a connecting flight. Plus you still have to face the boring Australian custom officers.

I think i saw that the business case expects 70% of the passengers to come from the East coast and then on to the UK.   This is why Qantas have won the battle with Perth Airport to fly these flights from the domestic Qantas hub and not the international terminal.  Anything beats going through immigration at Sydney, and if they can fast track departure and arrival it's a bonus.  It may also bring more domestic traffic to WA to coincide.

The benefit for WA folk is just taking one flight, the benefit for Qantas is that they can persuade more East coast people not to go on other airlines via Singapore, KL, HK or BKK.

If your final destination is London, then it may be worth it but if you are going on elsewhere, I think I'd prefer to brak the trip earlier.

e.g.  When i used to go SYD-DUB  you used to have to do 2 stopovers (Asia & then Europe - LHR, CDG etc).  The Etihad and Emirates started flying into Dublin from the middle East, I would have paid extra to avoid LHR & CDG but it worked out cheaper and quicker, happy days.

Now I live in PER.  I think I would rather go with Etihad through Abu Dhabi than LHR and then still have to get to DUB from LHR.  If i was going to London, I think I'd go Direct depending on price.  17 hours in Business would be ok if work was picking up the tab :)

Aren't they using the new Dreamliner aircraft for this route?  Less noise, more fuel efficient and I think they are planning on larger seat pitches.