Bank Accounts with Perks

seangolding1987

Hello guys, I have just moved to Perth on a student visa and was wondering if anybody knew of any banks in Oz that offer perks such as the ones we have in the UK?

My account at home includes travel insurance, phone insurance, breakdown cover etc.

I don't think any of the Aussie banks do this but it is worth asking. Thanks.

As far as I know there isn't in fact most banks charge you to bank with them. Although NAB doesn't.

Yes this shocked me too. I think the UK has a lot more competition and banks tend to offer better deals including free banking and being able to use any ATM without being charged if it is not one of there own. Funny sometimes seeing the big 4 banks ATM's next to each other, though this is really rare. The amount of times trying to find an ATM so you don't get charged, Paypass is a god send, I do not even remember the last time i used an ATM.

I am with ING who offer cashback when you use the debit card, but sadly they are removing this feature to save costs and "provide the customer with better value"....

I am sure some of the banks would offer student packages, but I do not know. Google it, always seems to be my first port of call for anything these days.

Australian banks make huge profits and somehow get away with charging for things that would be unheard of in the UK! Every time I hear of another Australian bank announcing its annual profits in the billions, I want to scream at the radio! There was some traction in calling for a Royal Commission into banks here, but unfortunately in both main parties there is too much of a vested interest to ever bite the hand that feeds them in that way.

My ANZ Platinum card gives free travel insurance, but we have to pay an annual fee to hold one. That's about the closest you get here.

Australian banks make huge profits and somehow get away with charging for things that would be unheard of in the UK! Every time I hear of another Australian bank announcing its annual profits in the billions, I want to scream at the radio! There was some traction in calling for a Royal Commission into banks here, but unfortunately in both main parties there is too much of a vested interest to ever bite the hand that feeds them in that way.

My ANZ Platinum card gives free travel insurance, but we have to pay an annual fee to hold one. That's about the closest you get here.

Haha so true, I have citibank CC which I think offers great benefits and no annual fee.

Australian banks make huge profits and somehow get away with charging for things that would be unheard of in the UK! Every time I hear of another Australian bank announcing its annual profits in the billions, I want to scream at the radio!

At least the "big 4" didn't need taxpayer funded bailouts to the extent that Lloyds and RBS took.

We also have accounts that pay interest .. unlike the token gesture you get from the UK banks.