• Homes Down Under

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Lightbulb Newly qualified social worker

Hi guys,

I am finally coming to the end of my social work degree in the UK, and once qualified am hoping to begin working as a graduate social worker in Adelaide, south Australia. I will have the correct Visa to work in Australia, although I am confused whether my degree will be sufficient to begin immediately working.

I have checked online at the AASW, and they have detailed how a 3 year degree in social work from the UK is eligible to be assessed. I am looking for anyone who has managed to pass this assessment with a three year degree and with no post graduate experience.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Title
      Liked
      54 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by jackt View Post
      Hi guys,

I am finally coming to the end of my social work degree in the UK, and once qualified am hoping to begin working as a graduate social worker in Adelaide, south Australia. I will have the correct Visa to work in Australia, although I am confused whether my degree will be sufficient to begin immediately working.

I have checked online at the AASW, and they have detailed how a 3 year degree in social work from the UK is eligible to be assessed. I am looking for anyone who has managed to pass this assessment with a three year degree and with no post graduate experience.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Jack
      Plenty of work (sadly) for what you do in SA, so there should be no significant obstacles to obtaining a gig in SA, Issues you will come across will be your over qualification, the sheer glacial progress on any application, you'll have to get SAPOL and working with children (vulnerable) clearances, that usually takes 4 to 12 weeks to come through so plan to have some cash and survival funds for at least twice that time (i.e. 6 months).

whilst there may appear to be a staff shortfall at families SA (that's child protection and social work)..... see below

http://indaily.com.au/news/local/201...mergency-care/

There is a reasonable question regarding the departments competency and their ability to recruit resources and deliver a service to an acceptable standard, Now before you think I'm some random, I worked at DECD in SA (and Justice before that) before it was split into two separate agencies, and I would like to extend to you my sincere admiration for the work you do and the career path you have chosen.

I wish you well in SA, be advised there are many passive-aggressive's and the DECD and indeed Families SA are in a word - organisationally dysfunctional, so all I can say at this stage is , good luck, or Bon Chance if you happen to be in Unley.....

•