Newly qualified social worker

jackt

Hi guys,

I am finally coming to the end of my social work degree in the UK, and once qualified am hoping to begin working as a graduate social worker in Adelaide, south Australia. I will have the correct Visa to work in Australia, although I am confused whether my degree will be sufficient to begin immediately working.

I have checked online at the AASW, and they have detailed how a 3 year degree in social work from the UK is eligible to be assessed. I am looking for anyone who has managed to pass this assessment with a three year degree and with no post graduate experience.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Hi guys,

I am finally coming to the end of my social work degree in the UK, and once qualified am hoping to begin working as a graduate social worker in Adelaide, south Australia. I will have the correct Visa to work in Australia, although I am confused whether my degree will be sufficient to begin immediately working.

I have checked online at the AASW, and they have detailed how a 3 year degree in social work from the UK is eligible to be assessed. I am looking for anyone who has managed to pass this assessment with a three year degree and with no post graduate experience.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Plenty of work (sadly) for what you do in SA, so there should be no significant obstacles to obtaining a gig in SA, Issues you will come across will be your over qualification, the sheer glacial progress on any application, you'll have to get SAPOL and working with children (vulnerable) clearances, that usually takes 4 to 12 weeks to come through so plan to have some cash and survival funds for at least twice that time (i.e. 6 months).

whilst there may appear to be a staff shortfall at families SA (that's child protection and social work)..... see below

http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2016/12/05/staff-shortfall-in-families-sa-offset-blowout-in-emergency-care/

There is a reasonable question regarding the departments competency and their ability to recruit resources and deliver a service to an acceptable standard, Now before you think I'm some random, I worked at DECD in SA (and Justice before that) before it was split into two separate agencies, and I would like to extend to you my sincere admiration for the work you do and the career path you have chosen.

I wish you well in SA, be advised there are many passive-aggressive's and the DECD and indeed Families SA are in a word - organisationally dysfunctional, so all I can say at this stage is , good luck, or Bon Chance if you happen to be in Unley.....

• 1 month later...

Hi jackt,

I would email AASW to check with them. You don't actually have to be registered with AASW to work as a social worker in Australia, unlike in UK where you must be registered with HCPC. My understanding was that the 4 year requirement was in relation to applying for a skills assessment as social worker for a permanent residence visa.

Most jobs I have looked at just say requirement that you are eligible to register with AASW, not that you are registered.

It also depends which area of social work you are planning to work in. If you are wishing to work with adults then you will just need to look for positions advertised as case manager / case worker.

Hopefully a social worker / case manager with specific experience of SA will be able to advise further.

Edited by kmrg

Hi guys,

Best Wishes,

Jack

Hi

If you can work in Australia - presumably a working holiday visa? then do you need to be assessed by AASW? You don't need to be registered with them to work as a social worker. Most social workers are not registered with AASW. If you are going for a skilled visa (189), then you will require 12 months post qual work in Australia or 3 years in UK. This is a different process.

I am not sure from your post what you have in mind.

P.