Moving to Australia!

iomhayley

True and I think social security normally pays a lot more in Australia.

At least based on the puny state pension in the UK anyway.

But if you tell me the UK government fully covers people's rent then I will be gobsmacked and apologise.

Not the government, but the local council will cover most if not all of your rent if you are on a low income, assuming you live in a property appropriate for you circumstances.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes at the time Mandurah was the in place for pensioners

Glad to hear the young ones are moving in and bringing it to life, it sure needed it.

Hmmm, in the 1960's the coastal 'towns' from Rockingham down to Bunbury were all retirement settlement, or holiday shacks. That was down the old coast road, a dirt track, really.

One could buy a block of land in Avalon? Rd Mandurah for 200 quid (average wage was 13 quid)

Cheers, Bobj.

Hmmm, in the 1960's the coastal 'towns' from Rockingham down to Bunbury were all retirement settlement, or holiday shacks. That was down the old coast road, a dirt track, really.

One could buy a block of land in Avalon? Rd Mandurah for 200 quid (average wage was 13 quid)

Cheers, Bobj.

In the early 2000's, for the more remote coastal towns, your typical 700sqm blocks of land would cost on average around AUD$40k for Rockingham, could be even cheaper in Mandurah.

Social Security does pay very well but ( just like the UK) is dependent on apllying for a certain amount of jobs. Apply for jobs you are over qualified for or not qualified at all and Bingo you get payments ( jobseekers not retirees I mean ) . This explains why many apply for hundreds of jobs and get no where, very easy really.

$578 a fortnight is hardly considered paying very well. Not sure how I am expected to run a home on that!!

$578 a fortnight is hardly considered paying very well. Not sure how I am expected to run a home on that!!

Many will get rent assist on top and various other benefits that a healthcare card brings and I suppose the people that I have in mind ( have met) don't run a household but rent a room. Just enough to eat a bit, drink a lot and get high even more, with or without young children. I work a day a week for a charity on my day off from my normal work and it's certainly an eye opener. These people are added to unemployment figures, when rightly or wrongly they'll never be able to afford to go out to work.

Edited by LovelyWA

Many will get rent assist on top and various other benefits that a healthcare card brings and I suppose the people that I have in mind ( have met) don't run a household but rent a room. Just enough to eat a bit, drink a lot and get high even more, with or without young children. I work a day a week for a charity and it's certainly an eye opener. These people are added to unemployment figures, when rightly or wrongly they'll never be able to afford to go out to work.

I get Newstart allowance and FTB which cumulatively come to $1500 a month. As a single Mum with an unemployed ex husband this offers me just enough to pay my household bills excluding my mortgage and minimum payment on my ever dwindling credit card. I am on the proverbial bones of my backside. I am not sure how people qualify for more than that.

I get Newstart allowance and FTB which cumulatively come to $1500 a month. As a single Mum with an unemployed ex husband this offers me just enough to pay my household bills excluding my mortgage and minimum payment on my ever dwindling credit card. I am on the proverbial bones of my backside. I am not sure how people qualify for more than that.

If you were renting you'd have a fair old chunk of you rent paid if not all, as you'd probably qualify for social housing. Also I understand your Manitenace payments are taken off the amount you are entitled to. Have you got or are you entitled to the healthcare card? Maybe not if you own a house ( not sure of the criteria ) This makes many many things cheaper even visits to the zoo ( flippant I know but just to give an example ) even the food bank helps.

Being unemployed for for all your life and even having parents who were the same, certainly gives a whole wealth of choices. Not a route most of us would choose. But my point was these are included in the statistics which is a bit unfair really.

I wish you all the best in your job search, not a pleasant situation, I was in a similar one years ago only with two small children no maintenace and a small part time job. Very little in the way of help because I owned a house and wasn't renting.

If you were renting you'd have a fair old chunk of you rent paid if not all, as you'd probably qualify for social housing. Also I understand your Manitenace payments are taken off the amount you are entitled to. Have you got or are you entitled to the healthcare card? Maybe not if you own a house ( not sure of the criteria ) This makes many many things cheaper even visits to the zoo ( flippant I know but just to give an example ) even the food bank helps.

Being unemployed for for all your life and even having parents who were the same, certainly gives a whole wealth of choices. Not a route most of us would choose. But my point was these are included in the statistics which is a bit unfair really.

I wish you all the best in your job search, not a pleasant situation, I was in a similar one years ago only with two small children no maintenace and a small part time job. Very little in the way of help because I owned a house and wasn't renting.

You can't be for real ?

If you were renting you'd have a fair old chunk of you rent paid if not all,

Fact Check: The maximum rental allowance is $173 per fortnight - and that's only for a parent with 3+ children.

I don't know anywhere in Australia that would cover the cost of rent.

if not all, as you'd probably qualify for social housing

Social housing in all states has waiting lists of several years. Social housing is not rent free.

.... the healthcare card? .... This makes many many things cheaper

It is designed to assist with unavoidable health care costs. Any additional benefits depend on the whims of individual state governments and/or local councils. Regardless of where one lives, there are not "many many things cheaper" which would make a dramatic difference to financial stress.

Fact Check: The maximum rental allowance is $173 per fortnight - and that's only for a parent with 3+ children.

I don't know anywhere in Australia that would cover the cost of rent.Social housing in all states has waiting lists of several years. Social housing is not rent free.

It is designed to assist with unavoidable health care costs. Any additional benefits depend on the whims of individual state governments and/or local councils. Regardless of where one lives, there are not "many many things cheaper" which would make a dramatic difference to financial stress.

Apologies if you feel I'm not factual, my experience is what a family member receives. Single parent one child. I'm not sure the OP needs any of this info anyway so I'm not going to contribute to this thread anymore.

Newstart Allowance is too low really but the government's rationale is it needs to be set at a level which is just basic subsistence level so people are encouraged/forced to find work not just live off being on the dole forever.

Their theory is that everyone should be able to find some work whether it is as a cleaner or whatever menial type job.

On the positive side you are still allowed to own a valuable home and yet receive the newstart allowance.