Recommendations of suburbs between mulgrave and the cbd

scarroll1888

Me this missus and 6 year old kid are moving to melbourne in jan.

missus has employment in mulgrave and i will likely be in the cbd so looking

for suggestions of places to live renting at first and then looking to buy with a budget of between 700k -900k.

any help would be greatly appreciated as there are so many option:err:

Hi, congrats on the move. We lived in Mt Waverley for about 3 years when we first came back to Melbourne. It's a lovely suburb with really good schools. You will likely get a rental of about $500-600 per week. HOWEVER, when it comes to buying you will struggle to for more than 2 bedrooms on your budget. The prices there are high, as they are for most of the suburbs around there. Have a look on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for sold prices (not listed prices) and that will give you some idea. We moved out of the area because we wanted to buy and couldn't afford that much. From what I've read the prices have come back slightly from the massive highs in the last year or two, but a 3 bed townhouse with very little land is still going to set you back close to a million, and a detached house much more. If you can give us an idea of what the of propert you are looking for, perhaps we can suggest some other areas.

All kl the best.

Have a look at the Melbourne transport site and follow the train lines out to Dandenong and Glen Waverley they will probably be the ones you need to look at. Anything from Mulgrave in towards the city is going to be pricey and $1,000,000 does not buy much these days. However you may find living a bit further out on a good train line is the answer for both of you.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Does anyone know what time building sites open to start work in Melbourne?

I am in Carnegie, Cranbourne/Dandenong line. Close to the CBD(15/20 mins) but getting(has got) very expensive :( Oakleigh is a couple of stops down the line and I think has better shops available, very greek dominated but that means lots of cafes, butchers etc. It does have a better selection of shops, Carnegie mainly dominated by Asian restaurants, whereas Oakleigh really mixed, but still easy access if driving or using public transport to other areas.

Tradies start very early in Australia from what I have seen, you could be looking at 7am starts but then they knock of early to make up for it.

If you are looking to buy, then you are going to find yourself pushed quite far out SE Melbourne, maybe consider North or West Melbourne. You will get more for that sort of money. Sad to say $1 million does not go a long way these days. For the money you are looking to spend you would get some thing way better in the North or West of Melbourne. Point to note: Look at what amenities are around in these areas, as lots of new developments, but the infrastructure not really kept up.

Edited by evets
More Info

Look a bit further east- Ringwood, Croydon, Kilsyth , Boronia, Bayswater, Ferntree Gully- you would get a good place for that money in any of those suburbs.

While I will agree with starlight. Not sure what part of the UK you are moving from, but some of these outer suburbs may come as a shock/eyeopener to you based on your initial thoughts of Melbourne. It certainly changed my views. Your own opinions may vary of course.

Also you and your wife should consider traffic in rush hour. Since not having a car for many years, worked from home and really did not need one. Traffic in the outer suburbs can be bad since I have now got a car and paid attention to it. Was a little/very shocked by some of the commute times, whether is be rush hour or not.

Would I say the out suburbs are bland, that is a matter of personal opinion.