Leave a job prior to the agreed upon date

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

Hi there,

my friend and I are looking for backpacker jobs here in Australia, and the problem is we aren't available to stay for a duration of 3 month or even half a year, like most employers want us to.

Lots of other backpackers basically told us to just say that we would be staying for a longer duration and and then just leave the job early, say, after a month. Besides the ethical problems this attempt would hold, is it even possible? I mean, if your employer tells you he will pay super and tax, isn't there gonna be a work contract or something that forbids us to leave the job earlier than the agreed upon date?

On the other hand, I can't believe the law would force you to keep working in a job you don't like.

The questions:

Is there gonna be a work contract? And could we even leave early if we wanted to?

Of course this is all hypothetical for now!

Thanks, Sven

If you plan to move on from jobs quickly, I'd be focusing in getting work via an agency or just finding anything casual. That way you are not tied and can move on when it suits.

I'd not go through the whole application process for a longer term or permanent post if you plan to leave within a few weeks. Seems a bit daft. Plus then you risk spoiling it for future WHV people who are genuine and intend to work the 6 months. Also the process for a longer term job could take a while from applying, getting an interview, job offer, references being checked etc, so you'd not have work in the meantime or be in casual work that you would then leave to do a months other work. All seems a bit pointless.

Employment contracts have notice periods, definitely best to honour those as you never know when you need a reference. But the notice period is unlikely to be more than a month and may be less. Even something like a six month fixed term contract will still have a notice period, you won't be bound to the employer for six months.