Marksies

george70

My Mum tells me they're struggling, clothes wise.

Can't say I'm surprised, we were there last year and the clothes are naff (unless you're 67) and very expensive. The Mrs asked everyone for vouchers as a novelty but couldn't find anything worthwhile to spend them on. Apart from the food, which is ace by the way.

Can't say I'm surprised, we were there last year and the clothes are naff (unless you're 67) and very expensive. The Mrs asked everyone for vouchers as a novelty but couldn't find anything worthwhile to spend them on. Apart from the food, which is ace by the way.

I'm older than 67 and I find the clothes naff. Careful about making ageist statements please, (said in jest)!!!!

some years they are OK, but not this year. Next?

I agree about the food. We spent 6 weeks from last week in August to early October in the UK and found the fruit from M and S was particularly special. OK it may have been a bit more expensive but the plums, peached, nectarines and strawberries were fantastic. As we travelled around a lot we did buy quite a few of their sandwiches. In fact there are some M and S food halls at some motorway service stations now.

So wish there were M and S food stores in Australia. Haven't been able to find anything to compare (fruitwise) here in the 9.5 years we've been here.

The only other place to match the fruit was in France at the local markets. (IMO).

Mike

I agree about the food. We spent 6 weeks from last week in August to early October in the UK and found the fruit from M and S was particularly special. OK it may have been a bit more expensive but the plums, peached, nectarines and strawberries were fantastic. As we travelled around a lot we did buy quite a few of their sandwiches. In fact there are some M and S food halls at some motorway service stations now.

So wish there were M and S food stores in Australia. Haven't been able to find anything to compare (fruitwise) here in the 9.5 years we've been here.

The only other place to match the fruit was in France at the local markets. (IMO).

Mike

M & S's food is indeed very good!

Clothes are terrible, I think wholly unsuitable for the 67 year old! It would be better if they did focus on the older lady to be honest, you still wear clothes at 67 and a 67 year olds money is as good as anyone's. My particular bugbear is the length of skirts and dresses, I rarely see anything that reaches the knee, everything is short and flimsy and not age appropriate for anyone over the age of 30. Then under 30s don't really want to shop in M&S and the styling is not right for them either. They end up pleasing nobody.

Clothes are terrible, I think wholly unsuitable for the 67 year old! It would be better if they did focus on the older lady to be honest, you still wear clothes at 67 and a 67 year olds money is as good as anyone's. My particular bugbear is the length of skirts and dresses, I rarely see anything that reaches the knee, everything is short and flimsy and not age appropriate for anyone over the age of 30. Then under 30s don't really want to shop in M&S and the styling is not right for them either. They end up pleasing nobody.

The quality isn't the best either.

I think they lost their unique selling point as far as clothes went - years ago you could buy stuff like lambswool sweaters and cotton knickers- good quality basics - now its cashmere (too expensive) or man made fibres. The clothes are appalling shapes and a lot of sparkly bits/diamanté which doesn't look good if you're over about 10. Shops like Zara seem to have got it right - a lot of basic everyday stuff with some appealing designs. I miss the old M&S though!

Funny how we all see things differently hey - i love love clothes and shopping and am not easily pleased (i'm early 40s), and was a regular M&S shopper before we emigrated - well, for particular things. Love their relaxed skinny jeans (and that they do longer length - perfect for me) which i thought were very reasonably priced and lasted well. I also shopped at M&S for work wear and got quite a few pairs of shoes and sandals from them too ...... especially with the 20% off - liked some of their knitwear too - mainly the coatigan type styles. Autograph get some lovely stuff in too, although tended only to buy it in the sale. Some of their handbags were stylish too and their nightware/underwear i found decent quality.

But wow, any food i've ever had from M&S has been spectacular - worth the extra money - although i've never done my weekly shop there!!

M and S have gone right off over the last few years. I used to get a lot of stuff online but find they are now very expensive and old fashioned styles too. The new Australian website is terrible, way overpriced. They have just got really greedy, unfortunately. A shame because the service for online stuff used to be quick and efficient and I would often buy a couple of things here and there.

I find the Marks of today totally inferior to the Marks of twenty years ago. I'm sixty four and I like to wear reasonably fashionable stuff while avoiding the mutton /lamb scenarios but most of the stuff in marks is either frumpy as hell or wall to wall sequins. it's not all rubbish, I do occasionally find something I like, but then it often isn't a good fit. My biggest bugbear is they never seem to have my size in I the clothes I do like. I don't WANT to pay and order it and get it tomorrow. I want to try it on and buy it when I see it. As for per Una ... Who is it for? Most of the stuff is over- embellished, over- patterned or both. the food is great, the clothes ... Nah.

I can say I've never bought or even considered buying clothes from M&S! I'm not anywhere near 67 but besides the point :P

Well that is exactly my point from earlier. I think they are trying too hard to cater to your age group, with having short skirts and flippy dresses, but they don't get the design right for you and women your age are not interested at shopping in M&S anyway. They actually cater to the older lady very badly, I feel very badly catered do and I am 46. I like to keep my knees covered now at the very least, I certainly think mid thigh dresses are a thing of the past for me. I am 5ft 8 so taller than average, but not unusually tall either.

If I were in charge of M&S, I would focus on the 35+ year old woman, relatively affluent and wiling to pay for quality and would stick to simple and classic designs.

Well that is exactly my point from earlier. I think they are trying too hard to cater to your age group, with having short skirts and flippy dresses, but they don't get the design right for you and women your age are not interested at shopping in M&S anyway. They actually cater to the older lady very badly, I feel very badly catered do and I am 46. I like to keep my knees covered now at the very least, I certainly think mid thigh dresses are a thing of the past for me. I am 5ft 8 so taller than average, but not unusually tall either.

If I were in charge of M&S, I would focus on the 35+ year old woman, relatively affluent and wiling to pay for quality and would stick to simple and classic designs.

I couldn't afford to do my weekly shop in M&S anyway haha. For food that is. I buy my clothes in New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Next etc.

I suppose people ought to start giving some feedback re their clothing line! I guess they don't want to assume older people wouldn't want to wear short clothing but I see your point. M &S isn't exactly a shop for the working class but I do go in there now and again for the odd thing.

I'm curious now and will go have a peep at the kind of clothes they have tomorrow xD maybe I'll get some bridget undies.

Edited by BritChickx

I couldn't afford to do my weekly shop in M&S anyway haha. For food that is. I buy my clothes in New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Next etc.

I suppose people ought to start giving some feedback re their clothing line! I guess they don't want to assume older people wouldn't want to wear short clothing but I see your point. M &S isn't exactly a shop for the working class but I do go in there now and again for the odd thing.

I'm curious now and will go have a peep at the kind of clothes they have tomorrow xD maybe I'll get some bridget undies.

I think the undies and nightwear range can appeal to all ages.

We went into M&S for Christmas food at the weekend, my OH still likes to get his socks and pants from there and my son was after jeans and saw a pair he liked - these are children's jeans and they were £22 I nearly choked - it's not that we're short but I rarely would spend that much on a pair of jeans even for me. Back to George next time, they'll be too short in under 6 months and given to the charity shop looking 'as new'.

I got my dad a jumper for Christmas but the quality wasn't all that great but where else do you buy clothes for the over 80's that actually want to dress like they are over 80!

I used to buy my bras/underwear from there but other than that and scottie pyjamas one year for mum I've never bought anything else. Always found their clothes slightly old and too expensive for a lot of stuff, definitely didnt see any short skirts etc but I don't wear those anyway. Have bought the occasional 2 can fine for £10 meal with my ex and I bought a few things in Guernsey because it was really the only proper supermarket. I don't remember being amazed by the food or anything like that. Maybe I'll pop in and get a few things for Christmas week this year but I definitely couldn't afford to do a weekly shop in there

• 3 weeks later...

I've just come back from 6 weeks in Scotland and found Marks to be just 'dull' with very little worth buying. The store in an outlet centre did good value underwear (luckily in my size) and knitwear - and I got a really nice pair of black linen trousers (not needed in Scotland in winter!) for a staggering £4!

The food, however, didn't class altogether - wonderful selection, lots of special offers - and delicious.