Brisbane Barmies

Danny Turley

Dude if you have left the UK for Australia then time to don the baggy green :wink:

Why ? ...thats the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard .

I met a guy from Sydney who has lived in the u.k for 20years .

Do you think he supports England at cricket ?

As someone once said to me " if my dog goes and lives in a stable ,does that make him a horse "?

Why ? ...thats the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard .

I met a guy from Sydney who has lived in the u.k for 20years .

Do you think he supports England at cricket ?

As someone once said to me " if my dog goes and lives in a stable ,does that make him a horse "?

When in Rome and all that. On a 189 visa we see our migration as permanent, but also part of a journey to becoming Australian citizens.

If we were on a 457 and treating it as a temporary adventure then it would be different, and therefore my original sweeping statement needs to be taken back.

When in Rome and all that. On a 189 visa we see our migration as permanent, but also part of a journey to becoming Australian citizens.

If we were on a 457 and treating it as a temporary adventure then it would be different, and therefore my original sweeping statement needs to be taken back.

Whatever ...i lived there for 6 years ,so don't go telling me .

I loved the Aussies....no issues ...but iam an Englishman cradle to grave .

Something to be immensely proud of ,for my good fortune .

So why on earth would I want to be something else ?.

The Aussies will suss you out my friend

Whatever ...i lived there for 6 years ,so don't go telling me .

I loved the Aussies....no issues ...but iam an Englishman cradle to grave .

Something to be immensely proud of ,for my good fortune .

So why on earth would I want to be something else ?.

The Aussies will suss you out my friend

A free bit of advice ...dont try and be something you ain't ...the Aussies will respect you for it .

A free bit of advice ...dont try and be something you ain't ...the Aussies will respect you for it .

Ha..the potential flaw in my otherwise excellent plan which you rightly point out is a lack of respect for a nation hopper :wink:

FWIW we have no intention of ever returning to the UK on a permanent basis - of our generation or younger the entire family is in Australia / New Zealand. Both sets of parents are also on their visa journey too to come over, and normally spend 3-6 months each year already over here.

Of course a lot can change, but another issue is that my kids are young enough to have no concept of their nationality. They are already picking up a twang on their accents and they will be raised as Aussies and feeling that if we continue to act as "Brits abroad" it won't help them.

Kind of hijacked the thread here.....it was a jokey comment but there is some thought behind it.

Edited by Ferrets

When in Rome, I respect the laws and customs of Rome. It doesn't mean that I need to pretend I am Roman.

My Aussie friends and colleagues would never have expected me to support Australia above England or GB in a sporting competition, in fact I think they enjoyed having someone to banter with. Not that I am hugely interested in sport anyway.

When in Rome, I respect the laws and customs of Rome. It doesn't mean that I need to pretend I am Roman.

My Aussie friends and colleagues would never have expected me to support Australia above England or GB in a sporting competition, in fact I think they enjoyed having someone to banter with. Not that I am hugely interested in sport anyway.

But what if your aim was to try and be Roman? I have no major links or desires to go back to the UK at this point so it's very much a one way journey for us.

Perhaps another thread on this as a genuine thought process.

Back to the point of the thread though....Cricket would be the hardest one to give up personally, 2005 was at the time particularly special :wink: