I qualify for 2 different ANZCO codes. Is my choice permanent?

jago25

I paid for the Vetassess advisory service and the adviser wasn't really able to give me a clear answer. As far as I can tell this possibility isn't in their system.

I qualify for 2 different ANZCO codes: 'Geologist' and 'Earth Science Technician'. This is because I did the roles of both of these jobs in my work *at the same time*. In my job we have limited space on the boat and everyone has to do multiple tasks.

When pressed the adviser basically told me to 'Put whatever is the most dominant'. This doesn't really make it clearer.

In terms of my official duties I would say that 'Geologist' fits the description best. But if I think about what I spent most of my time actually doing then I might say 'Technician'. Everyone called me the Geologist but there are certainly more qualified people out there with chartership etc.

My concern is that I pick one of these and then find that there are no jobs in my chosen area when I come to apply. Or, I get offered a job in the category I chose against assessing.

Depends what list they are on CSOL or SOL better on SOL.

once you have a skilled independent visa you can work in any field. Only an employer sponsored visa will tie you to a specific job.

So theoretically you can get a 189 visa as an electrician and get a job in a restaurant.

Some jobs require a license in Australia but that is different from skills assessment anyway.

And if you are applying for a 457, whichever you choose will tend to depend on whichever is appropriate to your job. I arrived five years ago on a 457 with one code. The second job continued this code, but the third used a different (and in my view much more appropriate) one. And its this second code I've used to apply for PR. So no, you're not tied - and it doesn't really matter so long as you can prove either - but the best is the one which best describes the job you're actually going to do.

If you're going straight to a permanent visa, then the advice above sounds fine. Just get in, then you can in theory do anything you like.

I paid for the Vetassess advisory service and the adviser wasn't really able to give me a clear answer. As far as I can tell this possibility isn't in their system.

I qualify for 2 different ANZCO codes: 'Geologist' and 'Earth Science Technician'. This is because I did the roles of both of these jobs in my work *at the same time*. In my job we have limited space on the boat and everyone has to do multiple tasks.

When pressed the adviser basically told me to 'Put whatever is the most dominant'. This doesn't really make it clearer.

In terms of my official duties I would say that 'Geologist' fits the description best. But if I think about what I spent most of my time actually doing then I might say 'Technician'. Everyone called me the Geologist but there are certainly more qualified people out there with chartership etc.

My concern is that I pick one of these and then find that there are no jobs in my chosen area when I come to apply. Or, I get offered a job in the category I chose against assessing.

If you are thinking of skilled migration, the occupation you select has no relevance when it comes to finding work. It isn't policed, you will not be monitored for the rest of your life to ensure you do not stray from your nominated occupation.

:wink:

So for skilled migration, you would select the occupation that you can more easily pass the skills assessment for or which has the better visa prospects. Sadly neither of these has very good prospects as neither are on the SOL (thus state sponsorship will be required) and there are few sponorship options. I would say sponsorship as Earth Science Technician is very unlikely and as a Geologist is quite unlikely but has slightly higher chances.