CHANGING UK PLUGS TO OZ PLUGS .... and CONVERTING EU DRIVING LICENCE TO OZ LICENCE

petal38

Hello folks,

i'm hoping someone can advise me how i go about getting all our UK plugs changed to Oz plugs so we can use all our electricals here in Oz when our container arrives in a week or so? Am i right in just assuming i'll call around a few local electricians?

Also, how do we go about changing our EU driver licences to Oz licences? We're also looking at buying a second hand SUV and wondered if anyone can advise how much deposit is usually expected and do you need to have been working for 3 months to secure finance to pay off the rest?

Many thanks ..... the newbies!

Petal :smile:

Did you ship any 4 way adapters?

For the plugs, if you do not feel comfortable changing them yourself, a sparky will be quite expensive, me thinks.

For anything that the cable is not fixed, might be cheaper just to buy a new adapter cable.

Not sure which state you are in, but in Victoria from memory just book an appointment. Cannot remember if you need to complete a form before hand or when you turn up for your appointment, they give you the form.

All quite simply.

You last question cannot answer.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Petal, I'm sure we just cut off the plugs and added Aussie ones.

In regards to driving license just make an appointment and turn up. If you know what state you are moving to download the forms first from the transport department ie VicRoads, Queensland Transport. You will need ID.

Take a look here https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

Depends on the state. In SA it is ok to DIY as long as not anything hard wired to mains. In QLD it is forbidden even to change a plug. You can google to check.

We still use adaptors for things with transformers but changed plugs for others. Bought new power chargers for our iPads as more convenient so now have both, which is useful. Beware should anything still be under a warranty cutting off plug will negate it, although most things are not worldwide warranties anyway.

Re car finance, can only say that we went with a secured loan on our first purchase, and got it about 10 days after entering the country, through the dealer where we bought the car. From what I recall, we put down about 20%, but I don't think that was essential. Your chosen bank can probably help (and will probably be most likely to lend). As soon as you get here, go to your bank, talk to the adviser they will allocate to you, and present to them everything you need them to sort. If you are a migrant with money they will usually help!!

Ko

Did you ship any 4 way adapters?

For the plugs, if you do not feel comfortable changing them yourself, a sparky will be quite expensive, me thinks.

For anything that the cable is not fixed, might be cheaper just to buy a new adapter cable.

Not sure which state you are in, but in Victoria from memory just book an appointment. Cannot remember if you need to complete a form before hand or when you turn up for your appointment, they give you the form.

All quite simply.

You last question cannot answer.

I still have a four way adapter that we changed twelve years ago, and still going strong. I take it every time I visit. Same works if you are bringing stuff back. Or, if you don't want to rewire, you can buy half a dozen oz/uk adapters and plug a board into them. Much cheaper than getting an electrician.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a load of plugs from Bunnings and just re-wire them yourself. If you can use a screwdriver, you can DIY it.

Go to the local Department of Transport office, and fill in a form. You'll then get an Aus equivilent.

Loans can be got, but it's usually at an awful APR. Buy something cheap for cash, wait till you have some payslips and then get a trade in for something better.

Hello folks,

i'm hoping someone can advise me how i go about getting all our UK plugs changed to Oz plugs so we can use all our electricals here in Oz when our container arrives in a week or so? Am i right in just assuming i'll call around a few local electricians?

Also, how do we go about changing our EU driver licences to Oz licences? We're also looking at buying a second hand SUV and wondered if anyone can advise how much deposit is usually expected and do you need to have been working for 3 months to secure finance to pay off the rest?

Many thanks ..... the newbies!

Petal :smile:

You could call an electrician or change the plugs yourself. We never bothered, we just used adapters.

The EU licence is only relevant in the EU, Australia is not interested in an "EU licence". The process you need to follow to convert your driving licence depends on which actual country your licence is from not whether your country belongs in the EU or not.

We took out a $25k car loan within our first week of being in Australia.