Melbourne thunderstorm asthma deaths

tea4too

I had never heard of thunderstorm asthma before, but heavy wind and rain last Monday triggered thousands of pollen allergy asthma attacks across Victoria, resulting in 6 deaths and more than 8,000 people requiring hospital treatment. I’m not sure whether it is possible to take any action to minimise the risks, but hope there is help and support for those who need advice on how to stay safe and well. Heartfelt sympathies to the families of those who have lost their lives. T x

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38121579

It seems thunderstorm related asthma attacks happen all over the world. There was one in London in 2005 which resulted in an eight-fold increase in A&E attendance. I had no idea, and wonder whether the general public should be more aware. Perhaps warnings could form part of weather forecasts with suitable advice for those most likely to be affected? T x

There was a great article in the Age on Saturday from a doctor who said that it affects people who have hay fever but have never had an asthma attack. That is why we have the pollen count here in Melbourne every day in the papers and on line. There is also as ap for phones now for pollen counts. I got hay fever late in life and 4 years ago was diagnosed with asthma. Late onset is common here in Melbourne. In fact Melbourne is very bad for asthma and hay fever. The plane trees are a problem for a lot of people. My daughter has asthma and she was fine but a couple of weeks ago her throat swelled right up and the docs said that it was due to allergy. I take asthma preventative now and it seems to work.