How to get an aged mum here?

paulswin

Hey guys I'm asking for a friend who wants to bring her mum here from the uk she's 86 and has no family in the uk to look after her so they want to bring her here. Any ideas how and easiest/quickest way to get her here. Their daughter is an RN and they know they have to pay all her medical bills which is no problem they just want her here. Is it possible to get her here on a holiday visa then apply for a last remaining family visa but in the mean time get a bridging visa?

Edited by paulswin

Hey guys I'm asking for a friend who wants to bring her mum here from the uk she's 86 and has no family in the uk to look after her so they want to bring her here. Any ideas how and easiest/quickest way to get her here. Their daughter is an RN and they know they have to pay all her medical bills which is no problem they just want her here. Is it possible to get her here on a holiday visa then apply for a last remaining family visa but in the mean time get a bridging visa?
yes, but she will need to leave periodically to renew the holiday visa.

Hi paulswin.

I'm now back at my desk after holiday, so please feel able to send a PM or (preferably) an email if you would like me to discuss strategy with your friend.

Best regards.

Does the aged parent in question actually want to leave her home, the place that it has taken her a lifetime to build and whatever social networks she had developed in exchange for isolation in an alien land? Most animals like to go back to their roots to die and my experience of older people is that the same drive is very strong with them too. That's the first question that needs to be answered I fear.

The CPV is there and probably the easiest strategy if she does want to move - tourist visas are for tourists not for people intending to stay and living in a bridging visa is not exactly desirable.

If her care needs are such that she "needs" Care she may well fall the medical anyway and could be denied even a tourist visa if they think there is any likelihood of her being unable to be a tourist and leave at the end of it. Can the daughter not move back to UK to care for her?

Does the aged parent in question actually want to leave her home, the place that it has taken her a lifetime to build and whatever social networks she had developed in exchange for isolation in an alien land? Most animals like to go back to their roots to die and my experience of older people is that the same drive is very strong with them too. That's the first question that needs to be answered I fear.

The CPV is there and probably the easiest strategy if she does want to move - tourist visas are for tourists not for people intending to stay and living in a bridging visa is not exactly desirable.

If her care needs are such that she "needs" Care she may well fall the medical anyway and could be denied even a tourist visa if they think there is any likelihood of her being unable to be a tourist and leave at the end of it. Can the daughter not move back to UK to care for her?

My dad gave some of those reason Quoll when I asked him if he wanted to live in Aus - apart from having children on each coast and not wanting to live in the middle lol, he did say that he had his routine, he was caretaker for a community centre, had a good social life, all the shopkeepers knew him etc., ... he preferred a holiday to Aus rather than living her.

My dad gave some of those reason Quoll when I asked him if he wanted to live in Aus - apart from having children on each coast and not wanting to live in the middle lol, he did say that he had his routine, he was caretaker for a community centre, had a good social life, all the shopkeepers knew him etc., ... he preferred a holiday to Aus rather than living her.

My parents too! And I am glad that they did, their social network puts mine to shame even though their friends keep on popping off!

On the other hand if a parent can no longer safely look after themselves then it may be Hobson's choice. My dad could not have stayed in England on his own so it was a choice between going into a care home or moving to be near to me. He is entirely house bound without assistance and before my mam died had not been outside the house for 18 months, without someone close by he couldn't care for himself.

I know Quoll that you moved back to look after your parents but in most circumstances with houses, jobs, children that is not a practical or fair option. Moving an elderly parent may be the least worst option.

Of course it was entirely my dad's choice and that the way it should be unless dementia makes that impossible.

I am old and I would not want to uproot myself and head off to live near my children. Happy to have a phone call but be left in my own pond. Do not feel guilty. Find a nice hostel for her to live in. I still have my Mum and I can tell you its a long slog looking out for them when they live on and one and on, my mum is 97 and just gone into a hostel. However that still makes me unable to go on a long holiday have a life and I am retired as I said and old. So don't feel guilty. We have had our lives. I never want my children to have my mum. Over twenty years of taking her out every Saturday morning. I am selfish I want a retirement too.