Northern Beach advice

ytboy

Hi, any northern beach residents out there that could advise on secondary schools and areas to live? Moving late Jan 2017 and like the look of North Narrabeen, Collaroy with the intention to buy at a later date. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.... Thanks guys. Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all pretty nice but none of it is cheap. Predictably, anything near the sea is more expensive.

Got friends with kids at Davidson High (public), they're very happy with it, other friends with kids at Northern Beaches Christian (private), ditto. Top end of the peninsula (Avalon and up) and South of Dee Why (because of Manly/CBD proximity) the most expensive

I'd live over there in a heartbeat if the commute was better or I didn't have to do it. My choices would be anywhere between Narrabeen and Avalon, but that's just personal preference (like the beaches north of Narrabeen the most, like the feel/ facilities of Narrabeen, Mona Vale, Newport and Avalon)

Edited by northshorepom

yes, it depends, many variables with schools. we moved to Newport 3 months ago, but my kids are still in school in our old suburb In Killara.

(PS - this a quick/short reply as not much time)

We can't afford private, and use state schools. The primary (public) schools are good I believe.

High Schools are not too bad, hopefully 'good enough' but we haven't started yet. We found that they are very strict on catchment, so if you live in Narrabeen, you have to go to Narrabeen sports high. Our eldest is going to Pittwater (Mona Vale) and it's pretty ok I think, but only really rates in the middle of the the rankings of NSW high schools (whereas Killara, her current school) rates highly, almost the same as the private schools.

you can research the pass rates: http://myschool.edu.au/SchoolProfile/Index/94105/PittwaterHighSchool/41333/2015

Barrenjoey in Avalon gets a slightly higher rating than Pittwater, but not a great deal in it really. Not too sure about Narrabeen! I heard it was ok, maybe not as good good as these two, but don't take my word for it. It's only bits others say at nippers etc. davidson is good i hear, but you will probably need to love in or near catchment to get a place

Private schools that are popular include Pittwater House in Collaroy and places like Ravenswood (A girls school), and Knox (Boys school) as they do buses in ($$$).

you can search these things as rated in HSC results: https://www.matrix.edu.au/2015-high-school-rankings/ and http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

There's many variables and depends where you will live

Matt

Some people send their kids far away to school. Kids can commute to school on trains and buses.

Many who live on the 'north shore belt' which is along the train line / pacific highway find this easy as the kids all get the train. Going east to west is more problematic due to the way the land looks (water, topography).

Personally we find it enough of a hustle as it is without getting your kids to add to their day travelling long distances following a move to the other side of the world. So our family like the idea of the kids being nearer the school and their friends. The general happiness levels and day to day wellbeing is more important that 'grades'. But each to their own and a personal choice for you guys!

NBSC is well rated but it's down towards manly/Brookvale over a few campuses and is selective or semi selective. Many people like forestville (Killarney Heights) and Davidson. This is inland but not too far from the beaches and closer to the city and better for a commute.

Good luck! If you can get chance to look for yourself you should. Hard to know from googling!

Edited by Captain Roberto
TYPO

Hi, any northern beach residents out there that could advise on secondary schools and areas to live? Moving late Jan 2017 and like the look of North Narrabeen, Collaroy with the intention to buy at a later date. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.... Thanks guys. Chris.

I lived in Collaroy for five years, loved it. We rented, our three bedroom no pool house would have been about $2-3 million to buy. And this was typical. If that is the kind of budget you will have then I would not hesitate, but if that is out of budget then I would look to rent in an area you might buy in later. I don't know about schools, but they are all going to be pretty good on the northern beaches. Good area genegerally does mean good schools.

I would be perfectly happy living in Narabeen too, but if I had the choice I would pick Collaroy as it is ever so slightly nearer the city, has a bit more variety on the high street, not that there is much there it is mainly eateries, but a nice selection and a couple of beach shops thrown in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I don't know much about Sydney schools. Most people I know with kids send them to private schools like Knox (boys) and Abbotsleigh (girls). But I use to live on the Northern Beaches. Wonderful area. Well some of it is wonderful. Of course this is my opinion only. But Dee Why is horrible and Avalon is gorgeous. What is your renting budget per week?

• 8 months later...