Dealing with landlords/estate agents when renting

trabonita

To be honest buying a BBQ yourself wouldn't be a waste of money, most people have one in Australia and you can take it with you to your next place. Ok you shouldn't have to but not worth getting too stressed about. A lot have a gas ring too and microwaves can also be picked up very cheaply (& again you can take it with you). At this time of year I probably used an oven rarely as it heats the whole house up anyway, lived on salads with BBQ'ed food.

Just to ditto everyone else, especially Chortlepuss....tenants in Australia are second class citizens. We had a similar situation with a dishwasher; took the agent and owner one month and a half total to get a repair person around, report back that the dishwasher was carked, and have the damn thing replaced. It would have been longer, I am sure, but at the month point I called the agent and went all Yank on her, and it was finally replaced. If I had done that to my tenants who were renting out my home in California, I would have been in court in hurry, no doubt about it. Certainly, a dishwasher is not as critical as an oven, but you get my drift. We may return to Australia at some point in a couple years, but I will never be a renter there again. Cheers!!!

............just a different point of view.....

............havving both rented.......and worked in the rental market

............I must say 90% of the landlords I dealt with have been good in the repairs

............it's a business,or investment....

............and keeping the rental property up to scratch helps attract a good tenant ime...

.............money spent on the property is tax deductible......

.............most landlords often have their often used tradesmen....

.............so sometimes there is a wait ,as the tradespeople do have other work....

.............but I have never come across any one waiting weeks for major repairs....

.............perhaps minor ones as agreed there are some landlords who don't / won't spend money on minor problems..

..............but most adhere to the agreement in the tenants handbook.....

...............that signed agreement is there to protect both the tenant and the landlord....

................good and bad on both sides ime.....

.................my only advice to tenants is know your rights......and the steps you need to take if they are challenged....

Well, the lamdlords have refused to pay for a bbq or similar but still haven't actually ordered the oven. The woman is obsessed with getting the bigger cooker as it looks better even though the engineer clearly says it has to be a smaller one as the bigger one will be too tight for ventilation, she wants to speak to him again and then order tomorrow, we've already been told it is likely to take at least a week from then so that will be minimum 2 weeks without a cooker. Now I know i'm being stubborn but why should I pay for a bbq because we are desperate, it's their responsibility!!!!!! I shall be ringing someone tomorrow to discuss my rights here as i'm tempted to ask for a reduction in the rent now for the time we are left without a cooker!

Similar happened to me in nsw and I was told they had to provide alternative way to cook so I was given a microwave and then when cooker wasn't fixed in specific time frame I got small rent reduction...I got lot of advice and help from nsw tenants website and spoke on phone to them as without that the estate agents werent listening to me. I left that estate agents as soon as I could as was not happy with that service and since then had very good experiences renting with different agencies when it comes to repairs

Similar happened to me in nsw and I was told they had to provide alternative way to cook so I was given a microwave and then when cooker wasn't fixed in specific time frame I got small rent reduction...I got lot of advice and help from nsw tenants website and spoke on phone to them as without that the estate agents werent listening to me. I left that estate agents as soon as I could as was not happy with that service and since then had very good experiences renting with different agencies when it comes to repairs

hope you get sorted out soon Trabonita, I know how frustrating it can be because in Brussels tenants were also very much economic class citizens to a lot of landords, who tended to see the security deposit as a sort of bonus rent at the end of your contract. Thank you for airing this subject because I'm sure I'm not the only one likely to be a tenant for six months or so in the not too distant future,and forwarded is forearmed!