Dizzy Dora! Job opportunity in Paramatta where to start

faithmove7

Hello again

with only 2 weeks left in England !!!!!!

I am panicking slightly as all my well laid plans appear to be suddenly wobbly..........

We found a lovely school for the kids in Shellharbour and was heading there after a week in Sydney. The plan was 1.5 hour drive to Sydney is good enough for hubby as he works mobile and will continue in his line of work...

I have looked at other posts about (Tall buildings in Paramatta) & I can see my anxiety building up already :arghh:

working in busy & somewhat crowds environment is what I do....but I need a daily wind down away from it all.

where do I start ?? I do not want to go above £500 pw in rent either unless absolutely necessary and it looks like it might be the case.

After promising the kids that the will have better beaches in Australia... at least better than Bridlington/Cleethorpes and Skegness beaches :skeptical: I need ideas on where to start researching please!!!

Someone said Penrith and Windsor are reasonable commutes but the appear inland on google maps.

Sorry, I'm unclear - have you been offered a job in Paramatta? Or you just think it might be possible?

Why not just go with your original plan and see what happens? There's no point in panic until you eyeball what is on offer - if you could see rentals that meet your budget with your first plan then start there. If you have been offered a job in Paramatta and live within cooee then you are quite unlikely to see the sea very much TBH.

Personally I wouldn't be looking West Sydney having had my son experience an unpleasant mugging in the Westfield Paramatta many years ago now and it's got worse since then but millions of people do love there of course.

Nothing wrong with Skegness beach (even my Aussie DH was impressed) and the donkeys looked really well cared for. Too much other tat though I admit!:wink:

Thanks all

I have decided it's not ideal to be up at 4:30am on a work day worrying about something I can do little about at the moment.. I had to rely on more than my usual amount of coffee to get me through!!

Quoll...I will definitely not change our plans until I have to. The kids are on holiday till Jan/February so there will be time to decide on their next school & I will have had the response from my interview by then too..

I have daily alerts from Domain & my budget looks promising in the areas I have set; at least upping it to £600 was really looking good in those areas..... .Sydney is definitely another matter!!

Ah, the dreaded 4am surfing session - I understand!

You are quite right, no point in panic over something you can do little about. In a couple of weeks you will have feet on the ground, be able to see rental properties in person (they often bear little resemblance to the picture glowingly painted in Domain BTW) and discover which suburbs might appeal to you (not sure you will find much appeal around Paramatta) and you might find yourself literally miles away from where your demonic surfing sessions may have led you to believe was perfect.

So had to look up Shellharbour, just south of the gong. Really lovely area, the gong has some amazing coastal areas north and south. Is such a perfect spot.

When I first went to Sydney, 2002 myself and friend got a job in the gong, at first the commute ok but after a while kills you. Lucky we were going against the traffic, unlike your hubby!. We got lucky on the project we were on as we could work our lunchbreak and leave early but if your hubby if planning the next x years doing 3 hours+ commute I really feel for him as driving will kill him :( So just checked out google maps approx drive time this route could probably take up to 4hours round trip or more. So much for family time!

Where is your hubbies office based or is he going to mobile day to day which means he is always driving from client to client?

Sydney was tough in 2002 at rush hour, I would hate to deal it now but know what I see on the news now and it is chocka.

Any of the areas you have mentioned mean hubby is driving with the traffic into the city, this is not so good. Parramatta is somewhat doable but he is driving with the traffic in rush hour, would he have free parking. If not, then imagine central london prices.

Penrith, not worked out the distance but on google maps, I personally would not consider it, same with Windsor.

Does your hubby need a car everyday, or can use public transport, work from home occasionally, or be flexible in the times he drives.

Sorry re-reading the posts I am also unclear if the job is based in Parramatta. So the areas you have mentioned are just over an hour, google maps but the reality may be different.

While Shellharbour means easy access to the beach for you and the kids, your poor hubby is stuffed as probably come the weekend he has had enough!

As a FYI, friend was recently looking for a 1 bed apart in N Sydney, prices shocked him even though he found a shared 2 bed for $500/w each in North Shore and it was not that great.

I am based in Melbourne and on the weekend the roads are mobbed around the central coastline of Melbourne in the East coast, trying to find parking is another matter and will not be free. But at least 1 hour South East or West and you can find some amazing spots.

You have left it quite short notice to start researching.... 2 weeks to go!

PS I checked out some of you posts and it appears you have never been to Australia, but got sold the idea which so many people do with programs like wanted down under. I am not going to be negative but you are planning to move to one of the most expensive cities in the world and have no idea about it. I really hope your hubby has a very very good 6 figure salary.

Hello again

with only 2 weeks left in England !!!!!!

I am panicking slightly as all my well laid plans appear to be suddenly wobbly..........

We found a lovely school for the kids in Shellharbour and was heading there after a week in Sydney. The plan was 1.5 hour drive to Sydney is good enough for hubby as he works mobile and will continue in his line of work...

I have looked at other posts about (Tall buildings in Paramatta) & I can see my anxiety building up already :arghh:

working in busy & somewhat crowds environment is what I do....but I need a daily wind down away from it all.

where do I start ?? I do not want to go above £500 pw in rent either unless absolutely necessary and it looks like it might be the case.

After promising the kids that the will have better beaches in Australia... at least better than Bridlington/Cleethorpes and Skegness beaches :skeptical: I need ideas on where to start researching please!!!

Someone said Penrith and Windsor are reasonable commutes but the appear inland on google maps.

I am struggling to understand what you are asking to be honest. Shellharbour would be quite an appealing place to move to if work can be found, but you mention the drive to Sydney? You surely do not mean to work do you, because I don't think that is achievable on a regular basis. It is a long journey and traffic is bad. Shellharbour to Sydney in 90 minutes is not realistic, I would expect it to be well over two hours, in fact it once took me three to Wollongong (I say once as I only tried it once).

Then I am not sure how Parramatta comes into it, is that a job for you or the husband? If you have promised the children access to beaches I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed and will probably not see one much more than you do now.

Also if you mean $500 or $600 not £ equivalent. Well this is not enough for Sydney, you would have to be at least two or three hours away before pieces start to come down to that degree, assuming you need a house for the family that is.

I think I would stick to the Shellharbour plan anyway, subject to what line of work you are in and job opportunities. It is far enough away from Sydney for your budget to start to get realistic and the children get the beaches.