Hello Friends, I want to move to Australia for better career opportunities.

kgpkumar

Hi Praveen,

Can you expand on working in IT, as this covers loads of fields? Are you a dev, BA, SA, support, web dev/des, Web UX? Some more in demand than others.

What is your skillset?

Have you checked out the SOL or CSOL to see if they are listed?

What city or cities are you considering?

What type of visa are you or have you been looking at?

Hi Evets,

Good Day!

I am a Business Analyst/ Project Manager working in a MNC. Have around 10+ years in IT/IT Infrastructure Industry.

Visa : 189 and 190 Visa

SOL : 261111 ICT Business Analyst

Tasks Include:

acting as a central reference and information source, providing guidance and assistance in the system

project decision making process

working with users to formulate and document business requirements

identifying, investigating, and analysing business processes, procedures and work practices

identifying and evaluating inefficiencies and recommending optimal business practices, and system

functionality and behaviour

using project management methodologies, principles and techniques to develop project plans and to cost,

resource and manage projects.

Regards,

Praveen

Cool tons of work out there for both professions mainly Sydney and Melbourne but not really looked anywhere else.

Do you have certs ie Prince2, ITIL, Scrum, Agile/Waterful etc. A lot of roles I see the certs would really help you stand out.

Good luck with the move.

I would say IELTS would be off higher standing. Try to get Agile and Scrum certs under your belt as they would really help, seem to be all over the job ads. For some reason or another they have taken off, I have chatted to my Dev Manager and he thinks they suck!!! Waste of time and resources unless you are in a big enough team to justify the time/resources spent devoted to the effort involved.

What level of ITIL, try to get past foundation as this also adds more weight and if you can demonstrate practical experience in one of the competencies even better.

Thinking about it further, get Prince(PM) and Agile(BA), and then look at Scrum as they would offer the best bang for buck IMO. But check out seek.com.au and see what the roles offered are looking for and take it from there.

Hello Friends,

I am Praveen working in a IT organization. I want to move to Australia for better career opportunities. Please provide your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Praveen K

It is very difficult to know if you will have better career opportunities - I'm going to hazard a guess you would be moving from India and I do not know how the opportunties compare. Salary wise it may look on paper to be a lot better but I know many of my colleagues got quite a shock when they first moved from India and realised how far their pay packet would go.

I found my career progression was faster in Australia because it was somewhat backward compared to the UK so my somewhat normal skills in the UK were seen as 'cutting edge'.

The fact you have 10 years experience gives you a better chance than many at making it but do be aware there are vast numbers of unemployed and under employed IT migrants in Australia and a large number are from India. Being frank a lot of it comes down to communication skills and management skills, my perception is that the level of English IELTS requires for a 189 visa is not sufficient for a professional role in an English speaking workplace - Indian English is quite different (after a year working with a primarily Indian team I found I was slipping into it :) ).

I would say your best opportunities would initially be with consultancies such as Ajilon, Fujitsu, Accenture, CSC to name a few i have worked with.

http://www.consultingcase101.com/list-of-consulting-firms-in-melbourne-australia/ - do your research these won't all have IT BA/PM's

The best thing is to approach them directly rather than wait for vacancies to arise - be proactive, identify people on Linkedin and send them personal messages - ask to meet up & buy them a coffee or a beer (if appropriate). Ask for their advice - even if they don't have immediate openings they may know people who do or suggestions of other organisations to approach.

This may sound cynical but priortise people you have something in common with - migrants will often help other migrants and particularly from the same sort of background. I've employed 3 people off this board (I'm back in the UK now so no point asking me!)

I agree Melbourne and Sydney have the best opportunities at the moment - it can change rapidly though, I was in Perth and things were so bad in Sydney for a while that most applicants for roles I advertised were from there & I would only interview them if they had accommodation already sorted as I'd had a few people start who left after a couple of weeks because it was too difficult/expensive to get accommodation in Perth - now the situation has completely reversed, everyone is leaving Perth and property is lying empty because there is little work.

• 3 weeks later...
I am from India.

There are a very large number of Indians already here with brilliant qualifications in IT. But many of them struggle to get jobs in IT. I know this because our local supermarket has employed a stream of them over the years.

One of the lads has only just now got an IT job, after three years working on the supermarket checkouts.

All I am saying is : be prepared to maybe do other things.

There are a very large number of Indians already here with brilliant qualifications in IT. But many of them struggle to get jobs in IT. I know this because our local supermarket has employed a stream of them over the years.

One of the lads has only just now got an IT job, after three years working on the supermarket checkouts.

All I am saying is : be prepared to maybe do other things.

I agree with this, the number of taxi drivers I have met from India with far better qualifications that myself and cannot find work. Australia may be the dream, but the reality is very different these days. Would love to suggest other wise, but even locals are struggling with the IT market, too much being outsourced or offshored(to India or parts of Eastern Europe). Australia is a high cost centre for MNC and if they can hire in a lower(make that cheaper) cost centre then they will.

I understand it may be your dream, but seriously consider the relocation unless you are prepared to change career and you want the lifestyle here. It is not always greener!

As a BA with your certs, which these roles tend to be in demand, you could strike lucky very quickly otherwise end up spending a long time looking, with the excuse local experience required.

Have a plan B in place and enough funds to support you.

Yes folk from the Sub Continent should be fully aware of the situation in Australia. Many are 'cheated' being unable to secure work up to the standard they may have reasonably expected.

I have noticed a large per cent of the drivers on Perth buses over the past year are from the Sub Continent. Taxi drivers have been dominant from that part of the world for a few years now. As have the main supermarket staff, if not in the same numbers, cleaning staff as well.

I fully endorse the changing demographic, but not people being brought here under false pretences or used and abused. Our Indian born population, as I have stated before is said to be the most highly qualified group in Australia. Just the people we want but in the right circumstances.

Just flooding people in without job market analysis, preferably by independent sources, regardless of initial source.

Please OP do your homework. Australia is about to go through lean times. Be kind to yourself and try and ensure you will get a position with full recognition of your undoubted skills that will allow you to progress accordingly.

Best of Luck.